Recycling

/ Recycling #1  

Lea

Silver Member
Tractor
john Deere model M kabota 2320 TLB

I realize this May be the wrong forum, but I figured you guys would be the best guys to ask.
I am trying to find out what scrap aluminium is worth a pound, I have a couple old boats that I was thinking about hauling away for scrap , I'm just don't know what scap aluminium is worth,I don't have a local scrap dealer so I would have to haul it about 200 miles, but if I know scrap dealers I should probably keep my hand over my rear end when I ask the price
If a anybodydy knows the going price it would be nice to know so I don't take it to bad in the rear end
Thanks

/ Recycling #2  
unless the boats don't float, you'll get more selling them as boats than for scrap.

/ Recycling #3  
You wouldn't even get your gas money back.

/ Recycling #5  
Here in northern Indiana, today's prices for aluminum cans was .38 to .56 per pound. Aluminum siding was going for .45 to .56 per pound.

So, figuring the boats are thicker metal, a 100 pound aluminum boat would get you $56.00.
200# boat would be $110.00 etc....

Even crummy old jon boats go for a few hundred around here.

/ Recycling #6  
Going to a auction tomorrow and I use the 50 cents a lb as a selling price. My problem is guessing on the weight. If there are more than two buyers you usually end up doing it for nothing as it gets very costly to be wrong. The scrap buyer will find a steel bolt on it someplace and then deduct for it being mixed metal.

/ Recycling #7  
Well we need a little more info to be precise, weight of aluminum, quality of boat, bla, bla bla, but if they float, they surely should be worth more than as scrap. 200 miles to to haul? That in itself is at least $100 in cost in my mind not including my time.

/ Recycling #8  
Up here in Northern MN where boats are everywhere, scrap value of a boat really sucks because the boat contains more than aluminum. Prices change from day to day so they are hard to find on line. One day at the scrapyard I saw a guy bring in a boat and he barely got his gas money because it was "unclean". On the other hand my wife and I peeled the skin off an old mobile home on our property and got very good money because it graded clean aluminum for which we got a premium price.

/ Recycling
Up here in Northern MN where boats are everywhere, scrap value of a boat really sucks because the boat contains more than aluminum. Prices change from day to day so they are hard to find on line. One day at the scrapyard I saw a guy bring in a boat and he barely got his gas money because it was "unclean". On the other hand my wife and I peeled the skin off an old mobile home on our property and got very good money because it graded clean aluminum for which we got a premium price.

Where in northern Minnesota are you? I am in Fort Frances (international Falls)
Where do you take your scrap. Do you have a contact # for them?
Thanks
Lea

/ Recycling #10  
Where in northern Minnesota are you? I am in Fort Frances (international Falls) Where do you take your scrap. Do you have a contact # for them? Thanks Lea

Long drive for you. Holmes Recycling in Iron, MN, gets our large scrap like cars. Hibbing Salvage right in downtown Hibbing gets all of our miscellaneous stuff like aluminum, lead, copper, pop cans, and smaller loads of scrap iron. Radko just north of Hibbing also takes recycling but when my wife calls they always seem to be a bit lower than the other 2. I don't ke track of their numbers - always Google the name when I want to call about something. Prices I remember from last week were $170 per ton for general scrap, $1 per pound for the air conditioner condenser off an old car (aluminum fins on copper tube - all copper would be much higher). I think my wife had a garbage bag of electrical wire we salvaged from a garage we tore down and she got $1 per pound for that weighed with the insulation still covering.