Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #1  

paine

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case DX33 Farmall
Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800, which one???

I have been planning on buying the case DX 33 for a few weeks now it is all set up through a local dealer near me, The dealer was good enough to confirm parts are not an issue for the older tractor and he was able to get some financing for me through Kabota credit.
The case is a like new tractor with just under 1000 hours and if parked next to a tractor with 50 hours on it, would be hard to tell the difference. The case had turf tires on it originally but the dealer got in a set of four tires brand-new and wheels and loaded them with beat juice.

The Kabota L3800 is a similar sized tractor with a few extra horsepower and a few less hours. This is a private sale off craigslist but talking with the owner seems to be pretty reliable source for buying from. The Kabota has a AG tires that are not loaded and he has not used to the front end loader very much.

The Kubota is a few years newer and a few hundred less hours. The one thing I am concerned with his parts availability and from what I understand Kabota is on top with that aspect

The only thing the Kabota seems to be lacking from the case is a mid PTO and a rear remote system.

The tractor will be used for mainly just moving dirt around grading some rocks fixing up the yard a little and mostly Firewood gathering. I have just under 2 acres with 10 giant oak trees that are near the end of their life span, my dad has just under 3 acres, my brother has 2 acres and my in-laws have 6 acres and at this time this is the only loader for all properties.

Any insight ?

Last edited:
   / Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #2  
Sounds like you'll be spreading whichever tractor you select over 13 acres. Also sounds like 4 different operators or will you be doing all the work? HST would be nice if it'll be used by many. I don't know much about the Case tractor, but the Kub sounds like a good size to match the jobs you've listed. For dealing with giant oaks, compare FEL & 3pt lift capacities. Remotes are great - and not cheap. You will want remotes if you keep and use the tractor a lot - find out how much adding remotes will cost to get apples to apples $ comparison. To me, condition is more important than total hours - but it sounds like they compare closely on both counts.

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800
Sounds like you'll be spreading whichever tractor you select over 13 acres. Also sounds like 4 different operators or will you be doing all the work? HST would be nice if it'll be used by many. I don't know much about the Case tractor, but the Kub sounds like a good size to match the jobs you've listed. For dealing with giant oaks, compare FEL & 3pt lift capacities. Remotes are great - and not cheap. You will want remotes if you keep and use the tractor a lot - find out how much adding remotes will cost to get apples to apples $ comparison. To me, condition is more important than total hours - but it sounds like they compare closely on both counts.

I ended up taking the L3800 for a spin tonight, it is a very nice tractor and it should be as it only has 105 hours on it. The bota has a few less options then the case but a heck of a lot less hours. The crazy part is that if you put the 2 tractors side by side you would be hard pressed to guess that the Case has over 1000 hours and the Kubota only 105! The original owner of the case did a heck of a job taking care of the the tractor, even found some wax left over on the paint.
I am having a heck of a time deciding on which tractor to pick up, I know it seems like common sense to go with the kubota considering the far less hours but the Case still seems like a great unit.
The Kubota also come with an old box blade and a land pride brush cutter for $18500, the case is going to run me $16000 with only the loader, unless I can get a rear blade thrown it!

The bota did seems to have a very loud hydrostatic trans....

Someone Help me choose.. Give me a reason to go with one or the other!!! Do you think I am crazy for considering the Case with the higher hours, I know for sure that it was well cared for!!!

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #4  
Who builds Case Farmall now? Is this an LS tractor or some other brand?

Who builds Case Farmall now? Is this an LS tractor or some other brand?

Now days, it's LS.. The tractor in question is a 2005 or 2006 model and I believe it is made by Shibaura of Japan who in my opinion should still be building them.

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #6  
I agree on the Shibaura of Japan comment.

I've read that some of the LS built Case tractors have had a few problems. However, in fairness, I recently learned that a few Shibaura built New Hollands can suffer catastrophic engine failure by simply adding engine oil TOO QUICKLY!

No tractor is perfect. I guess one has to accept the fact that some brands are much less perfect than others.

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #7  
I would go with the kubota,in the long run for parts avalability.

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #8  
.... Shibaura will fall apart by adding oil too fast...there has to be a LOT more to that story. I have two old Shibaura/Fords. One has 3,600 hours, the other 2,100 hours, they both run excellent. I think they are right up there with Yanmar and Kubota. I say go with the unit you like more.

.... Shibaura will fall apart by adding oil too fast...there has to be a LOT more to that story. I have two old Shibaura/Fords. One has 3,600 hours, the other 2,100 hours, they both run excellent. I think they are right up there with Yanmar and Kubota. I say go with the unit you like more.

Thanks for the input!
I did read something about the oil change destruction issue but don't remember the specifics on how/why that happens.

/ Case Farmall DX33 vs Kubota L3800 #10  
I think i would go with the Kubota. It is pretty much loved by all. It has been around long enough to work all the bugs out.