Need some more WV advice

/ Need some more WV advice #1  

herdfan

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3045, Ford 2000
I have 112 acres in SW WV, mostly wooded, with around 25 rough cut acres and 2500 feet of uphill driveway and ditches to maintain as well as several logging trails that I would like to fix up for walking trails. I've made do with an old Ford 2000 but feel the need to step up to a more powerful tractor with 4WD. I have several slips along the driveway that I would like to scalp off, so a FEL and backhoe would be nice to use as necessary. Also, we will be building a home soon and the hoe would come in handy to dig our utility trenches, landscaping, planting fence posts, etc. I also want to be able to pull a 6 foot bush hog and a sicklebar mower along hillsides without killing myself. I have looked at the new Kubotas, Deeres, and Centurys. I have also been keeping an eye on the Heavy Equip Trader and other online sites for out of town deals on used equipment. I have found a Kubota L4150 with FEL, backhoe, and aftermarket cab with 1400 hours for $14000, but it is a 9 hour drive one way to see it. Assuming I can't find a decent used unit more local to me, would it be wise to go for a far away deal like that or maybe get a cheaper, new unit (as with Century, Kioti, etc) that has a warranty, financing incentives, and perhaps more dedicated dealer support? I figure I would need at least a 35 or 40 hp unit based on these boards.
I'd appreciate any input or opinion. I can provide more details if needed.
Thanks

/ Need some more WV advice #2  
Herdfan,
Used tractors are a hard call. I've seen tractors with 2000 hrs that look/run better than tractors with hrs in the 100's. Driving that far makes it hard to turn around and come home without it. That being said if you have the time wait until you find a good deal and go for it. Check the boards to see how the model holds up, etc. The upside to new, as you stated, is the better financing and warranty and the fact YOU get to take care of it the way you want. You will always know it's history.

Some of the new ones you mentioned are very good tractors.

We're partial to our KIOTI's tho /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KO

/ Need some more WV advice #3  
Keep in mind if you buy out of state you do not pay the tax. I bought my Kubota from a small dealler in Gallopolis OH. Was very happy with their service. Check them out....Jividens Tractor Sales.

Happy hunting.

/ Need some more WV advice #4  
There's plenty of used dealers. One not far from me has had some used Kubotas. They're brought in from Kentucky from a dealer who wants the quick cash. He had a nice M series. He's got a larger 4WD with cab now. He's not far from Weston off I79. I'd look at the various classified publications. There's almost always some smaller Kubotas in the Bulletin Board. PM me with your location.

/ Need some more WV advice
I found the L4150 on ironweb.com and the price looked nice. Gotta wonder about the condition though - don't want to get a good price up front only to pay for it down the road. Also, travelling that far would make it tough to have to come back home empty-handed if it did have problems. Any opinions on what size setup I would need for my property? I originally thought 30hp, but wonder if at least 40hp would be better? Thanks for the input!
Eric

/ Need some more WV advice
Thanks Hillslider. Jividens is only about an hour from me. My local Kubota dealer had only a limited new inventory and a few used tractors that made my Ford look good! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Eric

/ Need some more WV advice #9  
So you live in WV or are 30 miles from Gallopolis? You have nothing in your Bio.....I actually live outside Kenna....about 30 miles or so north of Charleston.

As they say it is a small world.

/ Need some more WV advice #10  
He's on 33 west of Weston. There's another dealer east of Weston off 33 on Berlin Rd. The first guy only sells used machines. He's the one that almost always has a Kubota. The second guy is a Kioti dealer but has far more used tractors. Every time I've been there he usually has a lot of Fords he gets from an auction. Both dealers seem high on pricing. The first will deal especially at this time of year.