More compact tractor questions!

/ More compact tractor questions! #11  
A 48" tractor and steep hills sounds kinda scary!!!!!
I think I might look at other options. My tractor is about 60 inches wide and can get tippy in a hurry.

/ More compact tractor questions! #12  
I have a pretty nasty hill in back, and some interesting cross slopes, and have never had an issue with my CK35. It's heavy and wide, and has enough power to get it up a steep hill with my 600+ lb (260kg) brushog on back. I would also feel very comfortable doing ground engaging tasks with it, as it seems very well built. That said, plowing or such up a steep hill would be hard for any 35HP tractor, you might look up in HP (Kioti DK, Kubota L4600, others). Also, I know several manufacturers make specialty tractors for orchards and vineyards, that would be something to look into.

/ More compact tractor questions! #14  
Yes, definitely 4WD. 8 foot row spacing, want to work up to around 700 vines. Fairly acid soil, so want to lime and plough/ hoe in the pasture. After setup, mainly slashing down the rows and spraying (very wet spring here normally before a dry summer) is what I would envisage. R4s may lessen compaction a little?, but for the next year or so during setup may appreciate the extra grip of the ags?

When your vine canes sprout out 24" from each vineyard row, you will have 48" or LESS remaining to get your tractor through.

Vineyard and Orchard tractors are engineered specifically to have extra tight turning radius. With a standard tractor towing vineyard rigs you will have a very wide / unacceptable turning radius at row heads.

Ag tires are appreciably narrower than Industrial tires. Factory specs on tractor widths are always with Ag tires. In California I cannot remember seeing a Vineyard and Orchard tractor without Ag tires except a few on tracks.

You should inspect specialty vineyard and orchard tractors with a good salesperson, new and used, before buying a standard tractor. Travel if you need to, but look.

Last edited:
   / More compact tractor questions!
Thanks Jeff,

Food for thought. I had only considered I needed a foot and a half either side clearance. But that might be a little tight. Fairly high vigour site, so can step out a little if necessary with the row spacing. With a small operation, I hadn't really considered anything but a standard tractor, but will make enquiries. Thanks everyone else, appreciate the posts. It sounds like I might need the big boys to come in for the preparation.

/ More compact tractor questions! #16  
I own a small vineyard in Oregon, where the hills are steep and it is wet and muddy way too much. I have about 3600 Pinot plants, planted at 8foot spacing about 20 years ago. I have never used a tractor with more than 35 hp, and neither do most people with small plots around here,big mega farms are a different story. you don't need a muscle bound tractor to run a 50-100 gallon sprayer,it's overkill. The same goes for a flail mower or brush hog, remember you can only get 5 foot wide or so equipment down your rows. I don' allow my vines to protrude 2 feet out into the row, that would create too much shade on the berries, and prevent your fungicides from covering everything adequately. my footprint going down the rows is 66 inches, the rear tire are loaded with beet juice for traction. remember, soil compaction is bad for your plants,muddy vineyard floor( aggressive tire tread) creates a planting bed for weeds,using weed killer to kill weeds is bad for your grape plants,so step lightly on your vineyard floor. Also, your vineyard will soon create it's own terrace as you work it, it always does, and that will help in keeping traction on the hill. I never use the four wheel drive on my vy as it is not needed, and tears up the cover crop between the rows, which leads to......more weeds.
by the way, if no one ever told you, raising good wine grapes is a fascinating challenge,no two years are ever the same, and that's why vintage is such a big deal in wine.

/ More compact tractor questions! #18  
. . . I have never used a tractor with more than 35 hp, and neither do most people with small plots around here,big mega farms are a different story. you don't need a muscle bound tractor to run a 50-100 gallon sprayer,it's overkill. The same goes for a flail mower or brush hog, remember you can only get 5 foot wide or so equipment down your rows. . . .

That's good advice but he was also wanting his tractor to turn a "very steep" pasture into cultivated soil ready to plant. That's a bird of a different feather.

/ More compact tractor questions! #19  
That's good advice but he was also wanting his tractor to turn a "very steep" pasture into cultivated soil ready to plant. That's a bird of a different feather.

Maybe the answer is to rent or hire it done rater than buy more machine than you will need in the future.

/ More compact tractor questions! #20  
Thanks Jeff,

Food for thought. I had only considered I needed a foot and a half either side clearance. But that might be a little tight. Fairly high vigour site, so can step out a little if necessary with the row spacing. With a small operation, I hadn't really considered anything but a standard tractor, but will make enquiries. Thanks everyone else, appreciate the posts. It sounds like I might need the big boys to come in for the preparation.

narrow tractor sounds dangerous on steep slope, I would space wide and get a 35HP machine to do the work. Get someone, or rent something, to do the initial soil prep, as you probably need a bigger machine for that than you need in the course of normal operations.