Comparison Home Stand By Generators

/ Home Stand By Generators #1  

warriordba

Tractor
JD Sabre 2048
Hi Folks, any advice appreciated. Trying to decide by a Westinghouse WH7500E generator and a DuroMax XP10000EH. I have read really good reviews of teh Westinghouse but it is gasoline only although you can get an aftermarket propane adaptor. The Duromax can run on gasoline or propane. Amazon has good reviews on it as well. Westinghouse is supposedly US made, Duromax in China.
Consumer Reports has Rigid as best, Westinghouse midlevel and no review of Durmax.

Really I just want something reliable if we lose power for a day or so. Propane would be easier for family if I were away. I will be having the Interlock installed soon.

Thanks,

Glenn

/ Home Stand By Generators #2  
I like the smaller units based on economical operation...

One of my friends has a whole house unit that works great if he can afford to fuel it...

I've got a little Winco 5Kw natural gas/propane with transfer switch... keeps all the essentials functional and with today's LED lights... my load has actually been dropping.

Also, I don't live in an area where A/C is common so no cooling load.

/ Home Stand By Generators #4  
I work in the trade and I can't home build a genset, let alone an auto start, auto transfer standby generator for less than purchasing a commercial unit.

/ Home Stand By Generators #5  
As you are on TRACTOR BY NET, have you considered a tractor PTO powered generator?

LINK TO T-B-N ARCHIVE: Search Results - PTO GENERATORS - TractorByNet.com

The problem with a tractor powered PTO generator is that most times the power is out for an extended period of time is due to a natural disaster, which is one of the times you may need your tractor to do storm cleanup. Unless you have a spare tractor, I'd recommend against it as a primary power source for a residence.

/ Home Stand By Generators #6  
Personally, I would not purchase anything new with the Westinghouse name on it. As far as I can tell, it is not the same company that it once was, and is now more or less, just a name stamped on cheap products made by various suppliers. TVs, appliances, generators, etc..... take a look at the "Our History" page on their website.... it says nothing about being an American company.
Our History | Westinghouse

/ Home Stand By Generators #7  
Personally, I would not purchase anything new with the Westinghouse name on it. As far as I can tell, it is not the same company that it once was, and is now more or less, just a name stamped on cheap products made by various suppliers. TVs, appliances, generators, etc..... take a look at the "Our History" page on their website.... it says nothing about being an American company.
Our History | Westinghouse

Just like Air Conditioners with the name Maytag, Tappan, Gibson, etc, These companies are long gone. The names are still used / bought by other companies

/ Home Stand By Generators #8  
May as well skip the name brands and just go ahead with the 中国制造 brand.

/ Home Stand By Generators #9  
We have an Eaton 20K whole house generator with an automatic transfer switch. Great piece of mind when the grid goes down. Heat, a/c, refrigerator, hot water, internet, the whole nine yards.
There is about a 30 second delay after the grid fails till the generator starts which is just enough time to cause all the digital clocks to need resetting.
Now, all this comfort comes with a fairly significant operating cost as the unit burns about three gallons of propane per hour. Every Saturday morning the unit exercises it self for about ten minutes. The exercise period is independent of the grid condition.
A friend recently installed a stand by unit that notifies his cell phone when the unit is running or if there is a fault with the unit or transfer switch. Now, that's cool beans technology.
Our unit has been on board four years and when the weather turns frightful you can sleep like a baby knowing your shower is hot and the beer is cold.. Highly recommend stand by powder

/ Home Stand By Generators #10  
Get a whole house auto transfer switch gen set. It will not cost much more than pto set up. In bed at 3 in the morning when power goes out. Wake up hear gen set running , go back to sleep no problems. No hooking up, putting fuel in and flipping breakers.
Whole house gen sets is one of those things I will never be without.