Tractor Sizing Tractor size for a belltec PHD

/ Tractor size for a belltec PHD #1  

fireshawn

Tractor
2006 Mahindra 6520 2wd
I am looking to maybe go into the fence building/post-hole digging business here in central TX. I am wondering if anybody has any advice on how big of a tractor is really needed for the belltec auger. I have looked at a JD 5105 and a Kubota M4900, both in 4wd, but the price is a little scary. Do I really need that much tractor? Any help would be appreciated.

the new guy

/ Tractor size for a belltec PHD #2  
That depends on several things,

1. What kinda of soil are your drilling into (load, clay, sand,
mixed rock, solid rock, what type of rock)?

2. How deep of holes do you need/want to drill?

3. What diameter of holes are you going to drill?

4. How fast do you need to make the holes?

5. Weight and horsepower are also considerations depending
on where and what you dig.

6. What type of drill auger is to be used varies with the soil
being drilled.

/ Tractor size for a belltec PHD #3  
fireshawn
We sell and rent bell tec rigs at this store and have found in the past that Kubota M-series tractors are real good fits for the bell tec. Now with addition of the L5030 models, they work also. We do have a customer who runs one on a smaller tractor, but he has to be very careful. Physical size is so important due to the tall structure and the high down pressure of the bell tec. One of two circuts of remote hydraulics and you are ready to go. Hope this helps.
Lewis

/ Tractor size for a belltec PHD
Soil type--rock(limestone mostly) mixed rock, black clay
hole size-- I fugured on getting a 9", 6", and a t-post puff bit
how fast--I don't know, just effeciently
how deep--no deeper than 3', unless I am in just dirt
auger--RAD and their rock head also

Thanks for the reply equipman.

/ Tractor size for a belltec PHD #5  
I suggest you call Beltec. They are in Belton. Their machine transfers up to the weight of the tractor to the auger as down pressure so you don't want to go to too light a tractor. Their rock auger requires a lot of down pressure to work effeciently. That said I think you could easily us it with the large frame compacts, i.e. JD 4510/4610/4710. Beltec would be the best source of information on how to use their machine. I visited their factory before I bought my Beltec augers and they were very helpful. I bought my augers from Landford Equipment in Austin but American Fence Supply in Georgetown sells the Beltec drilling machine and augers also.

/ Tractor size for a belltec PHD #6  
The RAD works best in rock but you will need extra weight, I originally had one on a 5800# 59 horespower tractor and it wouldn't work the way I wanted until I added 2600# (water and a bunch of weights). I've since upgraded to a 98 horsepower tractor that weighs 9700# for use with the BellTec. You can use any tractor size you want but it may take hours to drill one hole, I looked at Kubota's (M9000), but it is too light unless you overload them with weights which will void the warranty if new. There is a specific maximum amount of weight allowed on each axle and the tractor in total.
Make sure you buy enough tractor, this is expensive though and you really need to think it over unless this is a full time job or you will never pay for it. I've got $32K + in the tractor, $5K + in a Bell Tec, $6K + in a trailer and $30K+ in a truck to haul it all.