Buying Advice John Deere compact choices

/ John Deere compact choices #1  

Novice Brit

Bronze Member
Suffolk UK (no land) Charente France (with land)
Tractor
JD 2032R
Hi All,

Firstly, my apologies for the long post!!

I have researched and considered which tractor to purchase (will be my first) for some time now and had virtually decided on a JD 2032R with FEL & Flail mower (JD instead of Kubota due to dealer location) but I now find myself torn and undecided again:-(.

Quick background. I have a property in France (currently second home but hope it will be permanent once i retire) that comprises 30 acres of badly maintained land, 23 of woodland, 1 of é¼*awn (currently very uneven after visit from wild boars), 0.5 of orchards and 3.5 of wild grassland plus a 2 acre lake. The Tractors main uses will be:

• Maintaining the grassland and orchards
  • Removing and controlling brambles (mainly blackberry bushes) that have taken over large areas.
  • Creating and maintaining paths in the woodland and around the lake.
  • Ultimately some ploughing, tilling and levelling but on a very small scale. Probably 0.5 acre max.

I still really like the 2032R but am fearful I will regret not going bigger.

My local dealer in France is pushing me towards the 3036E which seems sensible:

• It is physically slightly bigger
  • More powerful
  • Cheaper than the 2032R

Additionally I probably don稚 require a front or mid PTO and should not need to remove the FEL, although unsure re FEL.

However I have the following concerns:

1. The 3036E doesn稚 seem as well balanced a machine as the 2032R?
  2. It has a smaller engine size
  3. The smaller engine size seems strange given that it outputs more power than the 2032R, to me this means wear and tear on the engine will be greater?
  4. The capacity of the front and rear axles is less than the 2032R, again this seems strange as overall power, weight and capacities generally higher?
  5. I have seen comments online that the build quality of the 3036E is not up to the usual JD standard?
  6. I have concerns that I may wish to remove the FEL for ease of working in confined spaces particularly when in the woodland?

Beyond the 2032R & 3036E JD are of course launching the new 4000 series compacts, these seem better balanced units than the 3000 series and are of course bigger and more powerful and as such would remove almost all fear that I had opted for too small a unit.

However I don稚 believe these are tried and tested yet (anyone have one?), I see there are 4044, 4052 and 4066 M/R options in the U.S. and 4049 and 4066 M/R options here in the UK where I will most likely purchase due to price differentials between here and France.

The 4049M model the likely choice but this would still leave me with a ç´*ixed' FEL and I wonder if the added power would be worth the additional cost, despite the M models being an ç²—conomy option.

I know there are a lot of queries/discussion points above but any advice anyone can give that might help clear the current choices ç´*og will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

/ John Deere compact choices #2  
Only you can decide for sure what tractor size is best for you & what you can afford to buy.

In my own experience & others as well, if you are considering a larger tractor & buy a smaller one. You will eventually buy a bigger tractor.
I have never regretted buying a larger tractor, but several times I regretted buying the smaller one.

/ John Deere compact choices #3  
I have a JD 3320 on 41 acres. Some of it is farm, some woods. I maintain a mile long trail, 100 yard driveway and use itto get firewood. There are endless projects for it. I went a size or two bigger then I was thinking and I am very thankful! Whatever you get, you will push it to its limits, the question is, how often. If I went smaller, there are a few projects that may not have been completed by me alone. I've only wanted a bigger unit a couple of time, but there were many times that I said that bigger unit, would have been too big. Like General mid mower lawn cutting.

Make a list of everything you will do and might do. Use it as your guide to decide which wife to choose!

/ John Deere compact choices
Thank you, sounds like your 3320 has racked up some hours. Suspect the 2032R will cope with the majority of my tasks and would eliminate the doubts about the engine size vs power output of the 3036E plus lower spec axles of same and the lack of history of the 4049M. Additionally I would be able to easily remove the FEL. Would purchase with doubts about size though. I'm hoping someone will convince me that my doubts about the 3036E are unfounded or that someone has experience of the new 4000 series to aid the decision. Think it was easier choosing the wife!

/ John Deere compact choices #7  
I wouldn't worry about the 3036E engine. It's a turbocharged engine while the 2032 is not. I don't think there's any concern about John Deere turbo engines. Don't know about the axle capacity.

/ John Deere compact choices #8  
Thank you, sounds like your 3320 has racked up some hours. !

This is about as small a tractor I feel you should be considering. the numbers they call this tractor are different today but it is the same pltform. This is simply not about engine power but a major consideration is the weight of the tractor doing the work. You can do more work in shorter time with a fel of increased capacity and a tractor that weighs more. I came from a JD 750 to a Mahindra 3016. Only an 8 or 9 hp difference but more than a thousand pounds heavier. What used to take me 12 hrs with the JD, takes me 4 with the Mahindra.

/ John Deere compact choices
Thanks Kenny, I'll write off the concern about the engine size vs power output then unless anyone re-introduces it. The lower axle spec axles still a concern though and indeed some reports i've seen that build quality of the 3036E is not of the usual Deere standard....