Shuttle versus HST

/ Shuttle versus HST #1  

kspring61

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST Ford 8N
I am in the market for a new tractor. Currently have around 32 acres of fields to brush hog, want to plant some food plots, and I am putting in a ~1100 ft gravel driveway. After reading a lot of post I figured I needed to be in the 35-45hp range for a tractor and want one that comes with a FEL. With prices and considering the dealers, I have narrowed it down to the Kioti DK40 or DK45. They have 2 in stock, the DK40 is a shuttle shift and the DK45 is the HST, both have FELs that come with them.

Given mostly will be using this for what I posted in the first sentence, what are the advantages/disadvantages to each of these? Besides the obvious that the shuttle is more manual.

BTW...pricing given to me today was $22K for the DK40 and $25K for the DK45.

Thanks!

/ Shuttle versus HST #2  
I am in the market for a new tractor. Currently have around 32 acres of fields to brush hog, want to plant some food plots, and I am putting in a ~1100 ft gravel driveway. After reading a lot of post I figured I needed to be in the 35-45hp range for a tractor and want one that comes with a FEL. With prices and considering the dealers, I have narrowed it down to the Kioti DK40 or DK45. They have 2 in stock, the DK40 is a shuttle shift and the DK45 is the HST, both have FELs that come with them.

Given mostly will be using this for what I posted in the first sentence, what are the advantages/disadvantages to each of these? Besides the obvious that the shuttle is more manual.

BTW...pricing given to me today was $22K for the DK40 and $25K for the DK45.

Thanks!

From everything that has ever been contributed on the subject at TBN, it seems to have more to do with the preferences of the owner rather than the capabilities of the tractor. If you never owned a tractor, you will adapt to anything you get. As far as answering your question, there is some power loss with HST. HST is easier to operate and multiple operators more easily adjust. There is a whine to HST on some tractors and as a result, can be disconcerting to the more sensitive. Ground engaging equipment is more efficiently run on geared tractors and if you want more power with a gear, you step on the gas. On an HST, it's the opposite and not as intuitive. Back and forth operations are much easier with HST.

It really depends on the make up of the operator. I abhorred HST but I prefer driving a stick shift car over an automatic. A geared tractor is a better fit for how I'm wired as I like to "engage" with a tractor. Others just want a machine to do the work as easily as possible and is where an HST shines for that type of person. So the question I would be asking myself is "Who am I"? Then go pick out a tractor and if you can, don't worry about pricing. It's more about what you'll be happier with in the long run.

/ Shuttle versus HST #3  
After 22 years of manual gears, I switched to HST due to advice from members on this forum. I am so glad I did. I do all the same work in less than half the time with a quarter of the fatigue compared to previous gear tractor. I am so much more productive and almost 3 times faster with every single job compared to the previous tractor.

I have a Kubota L3200 (32hp) 4wd HST. I have 12 different attachments excluding trailers. I plan to ad a FEL, third function valves and a few more attachments next quarter.

I use a 6' bush hog mower, medium gear in 4WD, nonstop mowing 2-4' of grass for 10hrs a day, one tank of fuel, approx 5 gallons and always have some reserve left.

/ Shuttle versus HST #4  
   / Shuttle versus HST
Thanks TripleR
I did a search on Shuttle vs HST but this thread didn't come up. Thanks for the link

/ Shuttle versus HST #6  
The type of work and amount of each type would also be a determining factor for me. Like Arrow I prefer shifting gears always have and probably always will but for the intended use of our current tractor it was best to go with HST Most of our use is loader work with everything else thrown in here and there. If it was mostly dedicated to running the open fields with a bush hog or a big finish mower I would have opted for a shuttle over the HST.

/ Shuttle versus HST #7  
shuttle shift = lever up by steering wheel, that you flip like turning on blinkers / wind shield washers on a truck/car. and it immediately makes you go from forward to reverse. shuttle shifts are awesome if you do a lot of FEL (front end loader) work. due to a lot of work requires ya to go in scoop something and then reverse, turn around some, then forward again to get moving. and ya just kinda flip to the direction right at steering wheel.

your HST = a rocker pedal /s 1 or 2 pedals to go forward and/or reverse. those with bad ankles may not like rocker pedals, and constantly adjusting it, granted shuttle shift tractors may have exact same rocker pedals, but just with an additional lever by steering wheel.

make sure any rocker pedal for forward/reverse and how fast you go. is on opposite foot for the split breaks!! the split rear brakes can be extremely handy!

power reverse can be nice in a transmission (same speed forward/backwards

==============
gear = manual (beh)
hydrostatic transmission or like transmissions. are so much nicer in selecting MPH. and being able to adjust it on the fly.

/ Shuttle versus HST #8  
Really, they both get the job done. For heavy mowing, the shuttle would be better.

/ Shuttle versus HST #9  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shuttle shift we're talking about isn't a power-shuttle type transmission. Meaning for every shift and to reverse you need to clutch.

The HST is greatly superior for loader work. Every time I use my pallet forks I'm glad my Kubota is hydro.

Furthermore, the dk 45 is hydro and the 40 is gear, so both will have real similar PTO HP. Since they'll have the same power there and at the wheels, the HST would be my choice for mowing and 90% of all my applications. Being able to vary the ground speed infinitely without changing engine rpm is a huge feature. Drive them both, for me the choice was clear.

Good luck shopping!

/ Shuttle versus HST #10  
I agree with motownbrowne.

When I bought I kept debating this, and every time I use it am very glad that I got the HST. When I use the loader a lot the HST is so much easier to drive.