Buying Advice New or Used

/ New or Used #1  

PaOkie

Tractor
Looking to Buy
I am within about three months of buying a tractor. No specific brand choice as of yet and am still deciding of HP bit likely in the 45-55 HP range. This will be my first tractor and the biggest question I have is new or used. Seems to me that buying new gets you better financing and warranty but of course with the better financing comes a higher initial cost. Any experience or suggestions would be massively appreciated. Regarding brand suggestions are welcome as well. So far I really like Massey 1700 series and the Kioti NX series, both with cab. Thanks a

/ New or Used #2  
Some dealers offer good price on demo's w/warranty.
Than there repo's...I'd be little leery tho.

/ New or Used #3  
Used tractor prices are high down here. I'd rather spend a few grand more for a new tractor that I can make the history in versus wondering the history. However, with my new tractor Im having a heck of a time with it so it's really a crap shoot.

Brett

/ New or Used #4  
Tough choice,nice used units are top dollar;advantage if the are pre Tier 4 emmissions.A low hour tractor from one of the major manufacturers wouldn't bother me.We purchased a used Kubota with 1000 hrs.,a few little things but it is a good unit.

/ New or Used #5  
There is something to be said for having a new machine with a warranty, and better financing terms. Right now some of the tractor finance places (AgDirect is one I'm familiar with) will do loans on new tractors as long as 84 months with 10% down, and around 4.7% interest. If you go used, the term drops to around a max of 48 months, and the interest rate drops a bit under 4%.

Both the Massey 1700 and Kioti NX line are very good machines, but I think you'll find the Massey is much more expensive when you compare similarly equipped machines. When I was still considering a 50-60hp cabbed CUT, the NX was what I decided on, all things considered....then I went about three sizes bigger and totally killed my theory!

/ New or Used #6  
I looked and looked for months and months for a good used Utility Tractor that would do everything I wanted for a reasonable price. What I found was that tractors seem to hold their value much, much better than cars and trucks! I also found that getting exactly what I wanted was difficult and the price was approaching the price of new.

Then a good friend bought an LS P7010C and told me what he paid. :eek: which made me call the loacl LS dealer on the spot!

I got a U5020C with loaded tires, back blade, loader, 7ft snow plow and pallet forks for about what the major brands wanted for their tractors with a loader. I ended up turing up the fuel pump for a little more power due to the loaded rear tires. In hindsight, perhaps I should've got a U5030C, but I'm happy none the less.

LS is a Korean company owned by LG. They make New Holland's compact tractors and made may other brands.

I wouldn't be worried about the Tier 4 emmissions stuff like the others are saying. It's proven technology. Just my :2cents:

/ New or Used #7  
I looked and looked for months and months for a good used Utility Tractor that would do everything I wanted for a reasonable price. What I found was that tractors seem to hold their value much, much better than cars and trucks! I also found that getting exactly what I wanted was difficult and the price was approaching the price of new.

I think this is what you are going to find. By the time the price really drops the shape of the machine really drops as well. However money is money and if you don't have it you just don't have it. But I would agree with most others here if you can swing it getting a new machine that you 100% know the history on from day 1 really adds value to the machine.

/ New or Used #8  
Buying used is fine, as long as you get a good enough deal to justify it. You've already brought up great points regarding better financing & warranty. I used the warranty early-on with my Kioti, which would have otherwise cost $1500-2000, just for the one repair. Never used the warranty on my LS machines, had two in a year, put about 200 hrs between them. Haven't used the warranty on my Massey yet, 11 months and 370 hrs. But then, my buddies Kubota had to be split at just over 1 yr old to repair a small part hidden inside, tractor was out of service for two weeks and probably would've cost $3000+.

Can you do the work yourself if something breaks?

Have you found any used tractors with remaining warranty?

Regarding your brand shopping, both the Massey 17xx series, and the Kioti NX series are good, but I personally feel the Massey is better. My local dealer sells both, and feels the Massey is a better machine, but that the Kioti is a better value.

Don't forget, Massey (AGCO) offers a huge discount for their "Equine Savings Program" ... So if you have anything to do with horses, tell them and you should qualify. In my experience, there's nothing you'll need to do to prove anything about your horse operation. Check into it...

Good luck!

/ New or Used
Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I am really looking forward to getting a tractor and putting it to work. Also, I know that there are some western PA folks out there and wanted to see if you have any dealers in the area that you really like as the one thing I for sure want is a good dealer that is reasonably close for service, parts, etc. It will be kept in central butler county so that make place s lime Butler, Kittaning and Grove City fairly accessible.

/ New or Used #10  
Used is always worth considering, as long as the savings is substantial. If you can find a late model low hour unit used for 25% under the best cash price of a new unit, you are good to go. But if you can buy a new unit for $25k and a used one is $22k....I'd say go new. Late model used tractors are cheaper, but not necessarily a better value than a great deal on new.

However the Tier IV vs Tier III deal changes that some.