Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ?

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #1  

pokerboy57

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I think I've made the decision to cut the lawn guy's visits and cost (375.00) per month in half. I have a total of 3+ acres of grass..... Lawn guy cuts the Saint Augustine 1 1/2 acres and does and excellent job of trimming and edging. I have another 2 + acres that's Bahia that he doesn't do anything with. I've been cutting it with my tractor / bush hog rotary mower. My idea is to purchase a zero turn mower and cut the lawn guy's cost and visit in half. With a $4000 budget the break even point is about 2-3 years....

So here's my questions.
1. What width mower would you all recommend ?
2. What brand mower would you recommend ?
3. I think I've made up my mind to purchase new as I don't feel knowlegable enough to know what to look for in a used mower , thoughts ?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated .

Ray

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #2  
Your equipment maintenance cost is going to be identical to that of the yard service but you will not have a tax deduction for repairs nor depreciation.

You should store a ZT in the garage, which is expensive storage space.

Are mowing, edging, and equipment maintenance tasks you really want to assume?

Last edited:
   / Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #3  
As a lawn guy, I say 'Pay the lawn guy'.....

But, will he agree to cutting his service in half? I would probably raise the 'per visit' price if you would cut me in half. And, will you mow it every time it's YOUR turn?

Does he edge and weedeat every visit? Will you do that when it's your turn?

Why not consider asking him to cut the bahia too? Maybe he could cut that every other visit?

Just some things to think about from the 'lawn guy's' perspective.

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #4  
As a lawn guy, I say 'Pay the lawn guy'.....

But, will he agree to cutting his service in half? I would probably raise the 'per visit' price if you would cut me in half. And, will you mow it every time it's YOUR turn?

Does he edge and weedeat every visit? Will you do that when it's your turn?

Why not consider asking him to cut the bahia too? Maybe he could cut that every other visit?

Just some things to think about from the 'lawn guy's' perspective.

I agree. The assumption that you can cut the cost of the lawn guy in half by cutting his frequency in half is probably a bad assumption. Chances are that the work he will have to do on his visits will be more than 50% of what he used to do.

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #5  
If you were going to buy a machine, why then use a lawn service? I struggle with splitting work in the manner you mentioned as not being satisfactory either party.
I would recommend a finish mower for your 3320 [I am using a woods 72 behind a 3046r with excellent results].

My father had a Dixie Chopper, and was delighted with it. [past tense since he passed away]

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #6  
Personally I would just cut it myself and not pay a lawn guy at all.

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #7  
My Dixon Ultra 61 is rated at 4.2 acres/hr and costs about 5K new. The dealer I bought it from mows with one commercially and it has been a great mower for me as well. If you cut the lawn guy out all together you can pay the mower off in just over a year. On a 4K budget you are looking used or something like a 52" Cub Cadet or maybe a low end Bad Boy. For a little more you can get a much better ztr. I guess most of us on TBN would rather buy another toy and do the work ourselves but I don't know your situation. Some have more time than money and some have more money than time. Personally I love the hour I spend on the mower each week, it's almost as nice as sitting in a deer blind.

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #8  
Snapper pro s200 or even a older a master toro would be my pick. I currently own a snapper pro now in the past I've owned Dixie chopper , toro and John Deere. I like snapper pro and toro the best. Ex mark is really good. I'm not sure what area you live in but wines burg lawn and garden has a exmark laser 52 with new pumps and wheel motors for 4400 cash right now.

/ Pay the lawn guy or buy a zero turn mower ? #9  
A Dixon commercial unit with the 52" deck, and Kawasaki motor.