Dash Mount Shuttle on HST

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #1  

Eric Salop

Elite Member
Tractor
Ferguson TEF20, Iseki TG6495
While looking for a 50hp compact I came across this machine which has both a hydrostatic transmission AND a shuttle lever for forward and reverse.
Having tried it out I have to say it's a very intuitive (and fool proof) way to control direction on an HST machine.
Instead of two individual forward/reverse foot pedals, or a bi-directional treadle pedal, there is just one simple pedal. This single pedal has no effect on direction, it simply controls HST speed.

HST Pedle.jpg

Direction is selected from a dash mounted forward-reverse shuttle lever on the left of the steering wheel - same as on many geared tractors.
HST Shuttle.jpg

I see Massey are also using this arrangement on some 1700 series HST
Massey 1700 HST Shuttle .jpg.

What do you think - will we see other manufacturers also going over to this arrangement ?

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #2  
I like controlling direction with my feet especially when using the FEL. We all can become somewhat partial to what we are used to though and controlling direction with my feet is all I have much experience with. It could be I would like the lever on the steering column better but I don't think so.

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #3  
While looking for a 50hp compact I came across this machine which has both a hydrostatic transmission AND a shuttle lever for forward and reverse.
Having tried it out I have to say it's a very intuitive (and fool proof) way to control direction on an HST machine.
Instead of two individual forward/reverse foot pedals, or a bi-directional treadle pedal, there is just one simple pedal. This single pedal has no effect on direction, it simply controls HST speed.

View attachment 402342

Direction is selected from a dash mounted forward-reverse shuttle lever on the left of the steering wheel - same as on many geared tractors.
View attachment 402343

View attachment 402344.

What do you think - will we see other manufacturers also going over to this arrangement ?

Are those the brakes next to the HST speed pedal ???

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #4  
I have an HST with dual side by side pedals, three with treadle pedal and a hydraulic shuttle shift. I much prefer using my foot to changing directions, there are times with the shuttle shift I could sure use a third hand.

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST
Are those the brakes next to the HST speed pedal ???

Yes, the brakes next to the HST "accelerator" pedal it made it feel like driving an automatic car (Probably not as much like a car if I had unlinked the brake pedals :D)

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #6  
I would much rather have foot control of speed and direction.. your left hands is on the steering wheel and right hand is on the loader joystick.
Are you sure that machine is a hydro and not a CVT? or shuttle.? does the foot control adjust the angle of a swash plate or is that actually a throttle for the engine?
You haven't convinced me that is a true hydrostatic transmission tractor. Could it be a hydro-shuttle?

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #7  
I would still prefer to have two pedals to control forward and backwards, but I can see where this setup might be better for people with physical limitations, because it should be far easier to get in the seat. I'm thinking for someone with a bad knee, or artificial leg, etc, it might be just the ticket.

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #8  
I would try one. It looks like a power shuttle without the clutch. I like the idea of the pedal being the throttle so maybe you don't have to let up to maintain/increase your speed as with a reg hst.

I'm used to a power shuttle and find the lever more intuitive, it's become second nature like putting on a turn signal.

I would be interested in how many ranges it had and do you have to be stopped to change them. Also, how is the whine?

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #9  

View attachment 402342

View attachment 402343

View attachment 402344.

I have side-by-side pedals that I really like. I have a bad back as a result from breaking my back, and while I'm very thankful that I can still bend over and feel my toes, I don't twist well. Imagine now running a rotary cutter where the operator frequently goes forward and backward and is turned to the right so as to be able to see rearward with this shuttle shift?

The side-by-side pedals are much better on the floor, as is having the the PTO switch mounted on the righthand side console or B pillar like how Deere and Kioti do it.

Here is a video of me running a rotary cutter. You can see how often I change directions through the glass. As you watch, you can see how I'm running the steering wheel with my left hand, while off camera operating the top tilt remote valve as feel as the three point lift. While i could also shift with my left hand, it would not be as easy as the set-up I have with side-by-side HST pedals.

/ Dash Mount Shuttle on HST #10  
meh... the split left/right rear brake pedals need to be on opposite foot than the throttle/hst pedal.

from back dragging via the FEL and front tires have no traction or slightly off ground, to tapping left or right brake pedal to get one tire that is spinning back under control and giving traction to keep from getting stuck. to just using split brakes to help steer on ice / snow / in mud, to simply trying to make a sharper turn.

automatic car like feel should never come across in a tractor. makes unit difficult to use, when ya try and swing other foot over to operate things. could make things more dangerous or impossible to do. and higher chance of getting a shoe caught up in the pedals. and/or pressing throttle/hst pedal, when not wanting to. city slickers vs country folks is what i toss it up to *shaking his head no*