Buying Advice Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #1  

trblshuter

Tractor
Kubota B2620
Hello all! Although I've been a long time lurker on this site, this is my first, but surely not last post. As a jack of all trades (master of none) I have found a lot of very helpful information here. After years of rentals and borrowing friends equipment, I have all but made the decision to purchase a CUT w/ an FEL and backhoe. The tractor will be for my personal use around my 2 acre property and on a smaller nearby property which I use as a rental. The main tasks performed will include landscaping and grading, small excavation projects such as a foundation for a new garage, and occasional snow removal. The properties are generally level. While I realize its more tractor than I actually need I have narrowed my decision to a Mahindra Max 24 or Kubota B2320. I would rather have more machine than I need vs. overworking a smaller one. looking at the actual specs , they look to be pretty closely matched. I like the Kubota for the more powerful hoe but I like the higher loader capacity and 5 yr warranty of the Max.

After multiple quotes, the best numbers I've been given (pre tax, pre insurance, at 0% for 60 months) are within $150 of each other, straddling $21,900. At this point I haven't tried any haggling yet so hopefully that may change the numbers slightly. Dealers are both reputable, long established, and about an hour away in opposite directions.

Now for the questions. Is the $21,900 price reasonable? How do both models compare in reliabilty? Is there anything else I should consider? If anyone has any information, personal experience (good and bad), or general advice about either machine I'd love to hear it. I'm looking forward to my purchase and sharing my experiences here on TBN!

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #2  
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have done some good research.

You might want to read the fine print on the 5 year Mahindra warranty and see what all it really covers.

If you want a 5 year warranty you can get one on the Kubota but it will cost extra.

For the Kubota's pricing build the tractor exactly like you got a quote on Kubota's website. 15% off is usually a good price.

The Kubota will have better resale value.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #3  
One of the things that customers have stated after running quick action loaders and trading off for higher lift capacities is the loss of the speed of the loader with the higher capacities when moving snow or even dirt.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #4  
I think both tractors are a little small for what you mention. Sure, you could dig a foundation with a backhoe on a B2320, but I'd want at least a 2620 for that. Bigger front loader too. Barlows has a cherry of a used B2620 with backhoe for $18K -- it belonged to a member here and was garage kept, with under 75 hours.

The 2320 is a good tractor, but made small for some specific purposes (orchard work, etc). For not much more money, you can move into a B2620 and to me it's a more all-around capable tractor.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #5  
been there done that! from top bx series to the choice of the mahindra max 25 hst. mahindra won hands done. I am most pleased with the machine! Glad i did not get the other.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #6  
I think both tractors are a little small for what you mention. Sure, you could dig a foundation with a backhoe on a B2320, but I'd want at least a 2620 for that. Bigger front loader too. Barlows has a cherry of a used B2620 with backhoe for $18K -- it belonged to a member here and was garage kept, with under 75 hours.

The 2320 is a good tractor, but made small for some specific purposes (orchard work, etc). For not much more money, you can move into a B2620 and to me it's a more all-around capable tractor.

That is definitely a good buy and like new tractor, and the 50hr service has already been done. If I was in the OP's position, I'd be on the phone to Barlows. They deliver, but don't know if the 0-60 could be worked out.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #7  
They deliver, but don't know if the 0-60 could be worked out.

Probably not since he usually trades his tractors in still owing money on them.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #8  

There is also a narrow frame 2320 for that specific orchard work etc., but I doubt that is the model the op is referring. I think you are in a decent size range for what you described. The Max gets good reviews from members on this site.

The 2620 TLB from Barlow's for 18k would be a sweet deal if it is still available. On their inventory page they have a B2920 TLB for 18.5K and a B3200 TLB for 20.5k which has the larger 77 BH.

However, you may want to buy new because of the available financing.

And the 2320, 2620 and 2920 are probably less available as new models are on there way (go to Canada Kubota site for preview). But don't get too hung up on that as there is always something new coming along.

I would suggest you continue to read and go back if possible and kick the tires again, look for small details that are important to you etc. Make the decision on what you feel will work best for you. One other thing I would suggest since the prices are close is, don't let a small amount of money make your decision. Instead get what you prefer for a longer haul from the get go in capability etc. You will be more satisfied in the long run and the money difference will be forgotten.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24 #9  
Consider the Kioti CK2510. Mine was 20,000 out the door. More bang for the buck. I was making the same decision as you this past April. 90 hrs on my machine and except for dealer set-up problems it's been outstanding. BH is a very strong digger and it goes on and off in 10-15 min.

/ Difficult choice: Kubota B2320 or Mahindra Max24
Thank you all for the replies!

94BULLITT: I do have to research the Mahindra warranty more. I checked the extended warranty from Kubota and it seems a little pricey for something I hopefully will never need. The quotes are just under 10% discount off MSRP I configured online so hopefully there is still some wiggle room for the final price. Resale value is definitely a consideration.

art: Cycle times are one of my concerns. The B2320 has quicker loader cycles and travel speed vs. the Max24. I'm trying to decide if the trade off in capacity is acceptable. Guess I need to consider how often I'm going to be lifting at full capacity vs. the time spent moving around and manipulating the loader.

s219: I hadn't thought about going any bigger. Correct me if I'm wrong. Judging by the specs, aren't the 2320, 2620, and 2920 all pretty much the same tractor, w/ differing engine displacements? The loader is bigger on the 2620 and 2920 vs. the 2320, but the backhoe is the same for all three. I seriously think the 23/24 HP range will be plenty for my needs. I might have to check specs and pricing on both brands in the higher HP range. If there isn't a big difference I'll give it more serious consideration. Bigger is always better! Investing this much money, I prefer to buy locally. I feel more comfortable w/ the personal relationship developed during negotiations and subsequent visits for service and parts.

BlackOps: I agree the Max 25 has better specs than those of a BX. Both are excellent machines, but I personally don't feel its an apples to apples comparison. IMHO the specs of the B series more closely match those of the Max series. I was honestly surprised how closely the two matched up. This is why my decision has become so difficult. If one obviously stood out from the other this would be easy.

Today I'm price checking a few more dealers. Hopefully i will narrow my choices to one or two dealers and come up w/ final numbers. I would like to have the deal done and pick up my machine the Saturday after Christmas at the latest.