Comparison Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #1  

novic

Tractor
Montana 3840
I've been researching throughout these forums but haven't found my specific question.
I am looking for a smaller tractor 25-40 HP that has a strong enough backhoe to dig through Gumbo Clay, which is very difficult digging to put it mildly. The secondary use will be the front end loader. It won't be used daily but on weekly/monthly basis. I'm hoping to find something that will last and is easier to repair.

I am hoping to find any opinions, experiences, tips.
My goal is to keep my expense below $30k, the farther the better.

Thank you in advance and please let me know if you have any questions.

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #2  
Id go with a used John Deere 4520

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #3  
If the primary job is going to be working with the backhoe, I'd get a dedicated tractor-loader-backhoe. If the loader work isn't as critical, I'd look really hard at a compact excavator.

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #4  
Here ya go, A machine built for the job. One of these should fill the bill. :thumbsup: A bit over $30k though.

Look for a used one, then you can stay within your budget. ;)

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #5  
If you really want to be effective at digging rent a small Kubota track hoe for a week or weekend. This experiment might change your mind about what you need.

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #6  
buy an old ditch witch w/ backhoe for the digging part, and whatever tractor you want for the loader part.

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #7  
Welcome to TBN, novic!

I see you're in Florida, so I'll assume your terrain isn't mountainous.
Are you keeping the Montana & looking for a smaller tractor, or replacing it?
Based on recent experience, I'd suggest looking for a lightly used Grand L with a BH92. I have an L3240, which is a nice combination of heavy, full featured 32 hp machine with a very capable LA724 FEL and a BH92 back hoe. I think you could get such a tractor (L3240, L3540, L3940) within your budget. Not familiar with gumbo, but we have heavy, consolidated glacial lake bottom clay, here, and I can dig deep through that stuff with ease.
For example:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9085469

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #8  
A smaller tractor with factory mounted solid hitch but still let's you remove the backhoe.

My JD 4200 with backhoe fits my needs well.

image.jpg
As usual upside down.

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay #9  
Welcome, check out the specs on a Kubota B26. It is a construction TLB and would fit what you described as far as size and power. Go to Tractorhouse and you can see pricing on used units.

/ Best smaller tractor for a backhoe attachemnt to dig in tough clay
Welcome to TBN, novic!

I see you're in Florida, so I'll assume your terrain isn't mountainous.
Are you keeping the Montana & looking for a smaller tractor, or replacing it?
Based on recent experience, I'd suggest looking for a lightly used Grand L with a BH92. I have an L3240, which is a nice combination of heavy, full featured 32 hp machine with a very capable LA724 FEL and a BH92 back hoe. I think you could get such a tractor (L3240, L3540, L3940) within your budget. Not familiar with gumbo, but we have heavy, consolidated glacial lake bottom clay, here, and I can dig deep through that stuff with ease.
For example:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9085469

Thanks for the recommendations. Terrain is certainly flat. I am replacing the Montana.