If you had $15K in your pocket...

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #1  

TBJolly

Tractor
Mahindra 4025
I'm tired of turning wrenches on my old Long 350. I'd like to have something I can turn the key and work with, rather than fixing it first.

I do most of the things a person does with the size tractor I have - grading the driveway, brush cutting, food plot work and gardening. 2WD is fine for what I do (although I'd consider 4WD in a smaller tractor)...I just want enough tractor to pull a 5' bushog through small pine saplings or to skid an 18" log out of my woods. I don't need a FEL.

The dealers I have around me:

1. John Deere - ancient dealership, good service, but not known for the best deals.
2. Kubota - stable dealer, but hard to negotiate with.
3. Kioti - stable dealer, good customer service.
4. New Holland - dealer is primarily heavy equipment, line may be here today, gone tomorrow.
5. Case/IH - stable dealer, but caters to the big tractor clients.
6. LS - formerly a Mahindra dealer, in business about 10 years, aggressive pricing.
7. Mahindra - the farthest away, stable dealer, but changes lines about every ten years.
8. Massey Ferguson - closest one is 120 miles away. It would have to be an outstanding value to go that far.

If you had 15 grand in your pocket, what would you go look at, and why?

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #2  
I sell Case IH, we dont have anything in that price range for you. New Holland may have the Boomer 24, but it will likely be more than your budget.

Out of those, look at LS or Kioti. A CK2510 Kioti would fit your bill very well.

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #3  
If I had 15 grand in my pocket , I would be running from my wife . The word shopping comes to mind

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #4  
I have to say kioti, one of their new SCUTs might run about that.

LS is known for good tractors and better price.

Mahindra and CIH/NH might be worth a look, but the dealers sound sub optimal.

In my experience, JD, Kubota, and MF are way out of your price range (and most other people's too)

Just my 2cents

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #5  
I see New Holland Workmaster 55s, 2wd advertised here for $13900. Depending on your Longs trade in value you might get close to a 4wd unit with no fel.

/ If you had $15K in your pocket...
Thanks for the replies so far.

Remember, I said I don't necessarily need 4wd or a FEL.

And just in case some of y'all don't know, a Long 350 is 35hp at the PTO (if that helps).

Last edited:
   / If you had $15K in your pocket... #7  
I'm tired of turning wrenches on my old Long 350. I'd like to have something I can turn the key and work with, rather than fixing it first.

I do most of the things a person does with the size tractor I have - grading the driveway, brush cutting, food plot work and gardening. 2WD is fine for what I do (although I'd consider 4WD in a smaller tractor)...I just want enough tractor to pull a 5' bushog through small pine saplings or to skid an 18" log out of my woods. I don't need a FEL.

The dealers I have around me:

1. John Deere - ancient dealership, good service, but not known for the best deals.
2. Kubota - stable dealer, but hard to negotiate with.
3. Kioti - stable dealer, good customer service.
4. New Holland - dealer is primarily heavy equipment, line may be here today, gone tomorrow.
5. Case/IH - stable dealer, but caters to the big tractor clients.
6. LS - formerly a Mahindra dealer, in business about 10 years, aggressive pricing.
7. Mahindra - the farthest away, stable dealer, but changes lines about every ten years.
8. Massey Ferguson - closest one is 120 miles away. It would have to be an outstanding value to go that far.

If you had 15 grand in your pocket, what would you go look at, and why?

Just an observation from my recent purchases. If you inform the dealer that you are willing to take their financing, the price will suddenly become more flexible. You then use the remainder of the 15K to pay off the loan the day after you take possession of the machine.

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #8  
Based on your dealer evaluation, I agree that LS & Kioti would be the 2 to compare specs. & pricing on.
If pulling 5' bush hog is the major HP requirement, 20 - 25 PTO HP should be sufficient unless steep hills are present. Not too much hill country in Louisana that I'm aware of.
4WD in tractors of this size are the norm, looking for 2wd only in new is going severley limit choices.
There is a difference in "not needing" FEL than "not using it" if you had it. Sure comes in handy for me when cutting wood to hold the log off the ground or lifting to get saw unstuck when I extimate the pinch point wrong. Many companies use Free Loader program from time to time as Sales Incentive and biggest promotion time (early in year) is coming up in the next 2-3 months, so if dealer is willing throw one in on the deal, take it.

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #9  
Even tho I purchased a TYM last spring that I very much enjoy so far (90 hours ) I agree Kioti or LS would be your best price for a great tractor. Both have very good reputations as solid machines and I tested both before taking the TYM based on dealer rather than tractor.

/ If you had $15K in your pocket... #10  
For a $15,000 budget and no need for 4wd or FEL, I'd be looking for a gently used Kubota MX5100 or other brand. Around here, I see 2wd tractors with no FEL going really cheap compared to their 4wd + FEL counterparts.

I suspect many of those are being sold by people who THOUGHT they didn't need or want 4wd or an FEL. But if you're sure you don't need either of those features, you can probably take advantage of someone else's mistake.