Buying Advice 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #1  

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
Hello,

I have quite the conundrum. I will be a first time tractor owner, shortly. I am looking at SCUTs with a FEL, MMM, and a backhoe. Uses will be mowing my small yard, moving snow (plan to use FEL, for now), expanding my driveway, doing some landscaping/gravel moving, installing deer plots, creating gardens, and digging out a new sewer line from my house to the main. I was looking at just a FEL and MMM, until I got quotes for the sewer. Might as well get a free backhoe and do the work, myself.

My tractor experience is very limited, I have test-rode five tractors: 2009 JD 2320 w/351 hrs, new 2014 Kubota BX2370 w/1 hr, 2013 Kioti CS2410 w/87 hrs, 2012 Kubota BX25 w/132 hrs, and a 2011 JD 1026R w/398 hrs. All have been at sellers facilities/house, all for around 30 minutes to an hour. I was able to use the FEL on the 2320, in a pile of dirt. I was also able to dig holes with the BX25 BH. I was able to try the mowers, in grass, on the 2320, CS2410, and BX25.

I looked at the BX25 on Monday and just got back from looking at the JD 1026R.

Here's how they compare:

2012 Kubota w/132 hours. Is at original dealer, on consignment. It was serviced, by that dealer, at 52 hours. Owner retired, sold house, and bought an RV, to live in. It comes with a pin-on 48" bucket, a 60" side-pull MMM, and a BT601 backhoe with a 12" bucket. The buckets both have little wear showing. Paint is excellent and everything functions properly. It has been stored inside, except while at the dealer. it has six months of powertrain warranty remaining.

2011 JD w/398 hours. It is at original purchaser's house. He did his own services and has the extra oil, on his shelves. He bought it in Pennsylvania, where he had 24 acres. He moved close to here, onto a single lot, in a sub-division. He claims to have only used the MMM once, to test it-appears correct. It comes with 8" and 12" BH buckets, that appear to be well-used, yet still very serviceable. It also has the H120 quick-attach FEL with a quick-attach 48" bucket. The MMM is a 54" with AutoConnect. The BH is a model 260. It comes with a new Ballast Box mounted on a new iMatch. The 3PT kit has never been installed. It has a homemade pallet, for moving large items. It has the Power Beyond Kit and lights mounted on the fenders and ROPS. It also has protective metal over the turn signals. It has four months of Extended Service Plan, left. There is a corner of the rear fender where the green plastic is slightly separated from the black plastic. It appears very well taken care of and does not reflect the hours or years accumulated. It has been kept inside, its whole life. It does do the floppy bucket/droopy bucket thing.

Neither has any paint or rust issues.

They are both around 90 miles away, in opposite directions.

On paper, the specs are very close. I have complete faith that both will last as long as I need and will provide excellent service. I do not care about paint color, green looks better while mowing, orange looks better while plowing snow. I am not concerned with Yanmar versus Kubota engines-I believe they are both great. My concerns are not with brand, but with specific year/model issues I may encounter or not be aware of. I know of the floppy bucket and AutoConnect issues with the JD. Is there a bucket fix? This AutoConnect appears to function fine, would probably go a little smoother with some more grease. I also know of the exposed HST fan, on the Kubota-I would build or buy a skidplate.

Here's my observations and the sources of my difficulty:

Hydraulics for implements-The Kubota wins, hands down. With the Kubota, it moves the buckets two directs, at once, without issue. The JD will only move one direction, at a time, but will move much easier, at idle, that the Kubota. The outriggers on the JD will droop, over time-they dropped slightly, while I was there. The Kubotas had been sitting, at least for a while, when I pulled up, and they hadn't moved. Nor did they move the whole time I was there. The owner had two ropes holding the JD's up. The Kubota was much smoother operating, through the range of motions. While driving, the Kubota system seemed to operate, with less noise.

HST Pedals-Tie. I found times where both setups had the advantage. While long backing or doing more intricate work, I prefer the Kubota setup. For speed, the JD wins.

Backhoe ergonomics-The Kubota wins. Entering and exiting the JD is similar to a monkey trying to four ropes in a knot, while skydiving. The Kubota is open and roomy. Once seated, the Kubota has a slight edge, due to space.

In all other ways, except the seat, the JD is better than the Kubota, ergonomically. The loader joystick on the JD is right under your hand, while your arm is on the armrest-win JD. The Kubota's is high, in front, and there are not arm rests. The 12V plug on the Kubota is between the seat and floor. The JD's is by the storage compartment. The Kubota doesn't even have a storage compartment. The JD has a tilt steering wheel. The Kubota is fixed, although the position suits me. Tilt is still better. The drive over MMM beats dragging the Kubota one to the side, in time, space, and ease of use-unless, of course, the AutoConnect shoots craps. Still it would save space. The quick attach loader and bucket also score for JD. The Kubota's is fine, but the JD is better. BH removal appears to be the same-tie. I greatly prefer the JD Position Control to Kubota's 1/4" system.

Seats-Sitting still, the JD wins. Very comfortable and has armrests. Moving, the Kubota wins. The JD seat bounced me all over the place and rocked fore and aft. I worry the bouncing would be too much. I'm not sure if it's the way it's supposed to be, or if there is a malfunction, there. I haven't been on another seat like it. The JD seat turns around easier, but the Kubota locks up tighter. In the end, I would have to give it to the Kubota, by a small margin; even keeping in mind the JD loader joystick location-awesome.

Dash-Tie. The Kubota has a little, digital tachometer-it's hard to read, and doesn't show the hours, while running. The JD has a proper tachometer, but moves the fuel gauge to the top of the fuel cell. I prefer to have an analog tachometer, fuel, and engine temperature, with an hour meter, all on the dash; like most tractors in the last few years have.

The price is the same, and it doesn't appear either is going to lower it. For the same price, I could get a 2013 Massey Ferguson GC1710 with 200 hrs on it, but it is four hours, one way, and I bet it would just complicate this more. My bank will provide a slightly lower interest rate on the 2012 models versus the 2011, but I don't know how slight, just yet.

To summarize:

JD has these advantages: Attachments; 8" BH bucket, 12" BH bucket, Ballast box, iMatch, lighting package, turn signal protectors, toolbox, plus the driver-over deck and quick-attach bucket and better quick-attach on the FEL The seat is more comfortable, only while sitting. Operating ergonomics are better. Closest JD dealer: 5 miles.

I do not consider the AutoConnect a pro or con. Pro when working, but there could be major cons, if it didn't continue to line up.

JD has the disadvantages of a hydraulic system that doesn't work as efficiently as the Kubota's. It also has a bouncy seat, while moving. It is the first year of this model and has almost 400 hours (big service time?). The tires reflect 270 hours more use, especially, the fronts, but there is still a lot of tread left.

Kubota has the advantages of smoother implement operation, much lower hours (132), better seat (overall), a larger MMM, and a better BH platform. Almost new tires. Dealer backing, through purchase

Kubota disadvantages are: Lack of extras (lights, implements, FEL w/stand), exposed HST fan needing modification. Closest dealer: 50 miles.

Kubota BX25 vs JD 1026R, why?

PS If you read all of that-wow.

Thank you.

Obligatory pics:

Last edited:
   / 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #2  
Your writeup sold me on the BX. Good luck!

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #3  
I read the whole thing. Do I get a gold star?

They both sound like nice machines and chances are you would be happy with either one of them. My advice is to focus on the important things, like power, hydraulics, comfort while operating and general ergonomics. The ability to simultaneously lift/lower and curl/dump with the Kubota is a MAJOR advantage. Little things like hour meters, gas gauges and armrests while operating the FEL are inconsequential - you will either get used to them or won't even notice them after a few hours in the seat. The drive-over deck of the Deere would be nice, though the drooping outriggers on the Deere would bother me. (I can just picture myself jumping off the tractor for an hour or so, and then driving off without checking the outrigger that had drooped down and caught on something.)

I'm biased as I own a Kubota BX23, which is the BX25's older brother, and I love it. If you go on the Kubota forum here, you'll find a lot of love for the BX25. Likewise, I suspect you will find the same thing on the JD forum for the Deere. Personally, I just think the BX25 is an incredibly tough little tractor whose size belies its abilities.

One more thing. If you buy the Kubota, be sure to check out BXpanded. They have a belly pan that will eliminate any worries about the HST fan.

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #4  
In this class range, it is hard to beat Kubota. I say Kubota.

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #5  
They both sound good, I'm sure your already leaning one way or another. About the only useful information that I can add is that JD did come out with a new valve for the droopy/floppy bucket syndrome and they will fix it under warranty, but after that, I don't know how much the valve would cost. I bet 500 bucks or so.

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #6  
Good evaluation. It always amazes me when someone buys something as substantial as a tractor with expensive attachments and then sells it at a loss after just one or two years of use. I guess everyone's situation is unique. Hopefully you can benefit from the circumstances by getting a good price.

By the time I was done reading I wasn't sure which one you should pick, but I got the impression that you were leaning toward the Kubota. Dealer location is important but so is your comfort with the machine. I personally prefer side-by-side drive pedals but you should go with whichever tractor suits your personal comfort. I have never liked the bucket joystick mounted anywhere but right next to the seat but again, you found other variables like bucket function and hydraulic issues. I would look into what's involved in the repair for the dropping outriggers because you shouldn't have to worry about that when you leave your machine.

They both cleaned up nicely and I agree that you'll adjust to whatever you end up buying. Let us know how you make out.

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #7  
I went through very similar analysis recently with a Kubota B3350 vs a JD 2032R. I also gave the edge on paper to the Kubota, but the Deere just <i>felt</i> better to me. I also disliked the treadle pedal and really didn't like the brake being on the same side as the HST (lots of little hills here) on the Kubota. The snowblower and loader were quicker to swap on the Deere. I also spent a lot of time evaluating the dealers. I toured their service and parts areas and I visited a few times to meet more than a couple employees. That last part may end up being the most important factor down the road.

In the end, I think I would have been happy with either. I chose the 2032R, and I love it, but I don't think there was a "wrong"' decision. They're both top-quality machines and you can't go wrong. Get whatever you're leaning toward and don't look back.

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #8  
Remember, You can buy a quick attach mechanism for the front end loader from Kubota. They made it for the BX 25D, but as you will find here on TBN, it does fit on the over older BX25 models., and then the big plus is that you can get their pallet forks and or front plow blade that will attach with quick attach.

/ 2012 Kubota BX25 TLB vs 2011 John Deere 1026R TLB #9  
You gave a very good detailed comparison of the two machines. If possible I would suggest go look at same models, if there are closer dealers nearby, and look at the same models again. Maybe a return visit to the machines, even though new, will help you decide which of the used machines to pursue.

Which one feels right to you is what is important. Which one appears more substantial and manufactured for durability (simple maybe straightforward design) is something you may consider.

Btw, to complicate things, and only if you have a Massey dealer nearby, maybe check out a GC1710. I owned the predecessor model GC2310 and IMO it had a few advantages such as 3 pt stayed in place with BH, outriggers true vertical position (no droop) with excellent flip foot design and if the cooling fan is damaged it is a quick job to replace. It also had again, IMO and based on my experience, very strong FEL and BH hydraulics. Sorry to bring another brand in the discussion, but like I said only of you have a Massey dealer close by to see the model in person, rather than driving 4 hours one way just to check one out.

Good luck in your decision, and no matter what, I think you will be satisfied with either brand.