Buying Advice Snow removal considerations.

/ Snow removal considerations. #21  
Plowing snow witha utv puts a lot of strain on it.\

A decent sized tractor with a rear blade will move a lot of snow.. if you run out of room spent an hour to move it with the loader ..no big deal...beats working with a tinker toy:laughing:

I can't imagine it strains them that much... I see them advertised with snow plows all the time at dealerships. I doubt that a vendor would advertise them that way if the manufacture didn't build them to handle it.

/ Snow removal considerations. #22  
I can't imagine it strains them that much... I see them advertised with snow plows all the time at dealerships. I doubt that a vendor would advertise them that way if the manufacture didn't build them to handle it.

They sell plow blades for lawnmowers too.....

/ Snow removal considerations. #23  
They sell plow blades for lawnmowers too.....

Yep, and with lack of power, size, or traction notwithstanding, I don't see anything wrong with a snow plow on a riding mower either.

Exactly which components of a UTV would be damaged by pushing snow? If its a proper frame mounted plow, I don't see what the issue would be. Worst case scenario, it would lose traction before it damaged anything.

/ Snow removal considerations. #24  
Sorry, phone made a duplicate post.

/ Snow removal considerations. #25  
You could also consider installing a backup camera system to go along with a standard rear blower.
I am using a large screen backup system that I bought from China for well under $100.
Works just fine even at -32 and even has guide lines built in.
There are a few write ups on my and other installations.

/ Snow removal considerations.
My concerns for the Rhino while plowing are:
1. The hydraulics that make things so easy put a huge load on the electrical system. I just replaced a very burned out stator that I am blaming on this. But I guess this is my fault.
2. Heavy loads on the drive train from pushing can be tough on belts (my old Ranger had an issue with that) and my friend has blown his wet clutch and I am now worried about mine - hopefully for no good reason.
3. The ice that forms on the machine can rub and wear on the CV boots.

/ Snow removal considerations. #27  
Welcome to T.B.N. from Quebec!
Many options are presented to you. One thing we do not know, is how big is your average snow fall, and what yearly average?
If your Rino has a blower, then I would keep it for what good services it could render you.
As for the tractor tires, R4 and Lawn types make your tractor lower. Something to consider if going in the woods, or if there is a pile of snow in front of you...
Clearance is so important for winter snow clearing. Nothing worse than beeing stuck with packed snow under your vehicule:mad:
This said since you are planing for retirement...why not going with a cab??? Northern Alberta is a very cold place!! In the summer you just open the doors, or remove one, or both of them if you want. this way you can mount and dismount as quickly as on a open station.
If you plan on driving a lot on soft ground (like grass in the spring), R1 tires will quickly turn it to mud, I can assure you this! If you plan on going in the woods, then R1 will prove to be your best allie! Loaded tires and chains will make you life that much more relaxing, when times come to put your tractor to maximum use (pushing/pulling snow,stability and safety on icy slopes, etc).
Starting with a FEL, and the heaviest RB is to my opinion a good idea to get started with something well worth while. The RB should be as heavy as your tractor can pull.
The use of your tractor is not fully explained, but it seems your main goal is to do a garden, and some landscaping. Therefore, a machine with between 25 and 35 hp should be in the appropriate range.

/ Snow removal considerations. #28  
Yep, and with lack of power, size, or traction notwithstanding, I don't see anything wrong with a snow plow on a riding mower either.

Exactly which components of a UTV would be damaged by pushing snow? If its a proper frame mounted plow, I don't see what the issue would be. Worst case scenario, it would lose traction before it damaged anything.

Folks that live around here....Craftsman riding mower, chains, wheel weights, Transmission broke in half.......Polaris Ranger/Transmission........I watch my neighbor on his Arctic Cat 4x4 quad struggling with heavy snow, I am really surprised he has not burnt a belt off it yet.

These are my observations, and what caused me to have the opinion that I do....I think it is hard on them.

/ Snow removal considerations.
How much snow? We usually get 3-6 inches of snow at a time, or at least I would let that much accumulate at least. Once in a while we get 12-18". Once in a long while we get more double that. If it is fluffy, it isn't bad. We can sometimes get wetter snow which really makes a mess. The larger problem occurs when we get snow and wind. Drifting can make hard snow that is 12-24 inches, sometimes hard enough that a UTV can stay on top for long enough to be a real problem.
How cold? We hit -40 every winter. Sometime for 3-4 days at a time. Sometimes a few times a year. But as a saving grace it never seems to snow when it is that cold. A cab would be nice but $ and additional height (garage doors) are issues.
If I was going to the expense of getting a cab the tractor cost starts getting to a point where I might buy a smaller or mid-sized skid steer instead.