Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #11  
I used to think that also. After a couple of experiences with tax authorities where it was clear they didn't really care about obeying the law, just draining my pockets, I've changed my mind.

Same here.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #12  
You usually hear about how bad the IRS employees are, and with any group of that size, I'm sure they have some bad ones. But I've had personal experience with any of them only once, many, many years ago when I was a young clerk in the Post Office. At tax time, I figured I owed more than I had, so I went to the IRS office to inquire about the possibility of a payment plan. Instead, the IRS employee asked some questions, refigured my tax return, and even came up with a small refund instead of me owing them.:shocked:

Bird,
I think yours is a unique experience....I think the difference might be that you appeared in person, seeking information, with the forgone conclusion that you owed money. I suspect appearing in person changed the dynamics a bit. Had you just phoned or submitted your taxes with a check, it probably would have been processed without incident.

It is nice to know though, that there are a few good people. But, like you said, that was a long time ago. Glad it worked in your favor. HOpe this isn't too much removed from the subject. Sorry.
John

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #13  
I often buy hard to get items(which are more common if you live in Canada) over the internet. Customs duties, federal GST, and provincial sales tax are sometimes added at the post office. However, I notice they can't be bothered for smaller purchases. I think it is not worth their trouble to prepare the bill, etc. I suppose if I wanted to bug the government I could insist on paying duties and taxes on those 6 AAA batteries imported from Hong Kong.

There are reasonable government people. Our neighbours took a weekend trip to Washington state last year and declared a couple of cases of nice wine. They were horrified to find the import duty to BC is 85%(protecting the Okanagan wine industry). The customs officer realised it was an honest mistake and let them through, saying not to do it again.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #14  
I bought a tractor out of my state and didn't really think to much about not paying the sales tax until a state tax representative came knocking on my door several years later with the tax bill and penalties. The reason it took so long to find me was the dealer had put down a wrong address , but they did eventually find out where I lived .They were quite good about it , if I paid the bill within 30 days they would deduct all penalties . Needless to say I paid the taxes .

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #15  
If your town gets it onto their tax rolls as property to be taxed - most tractors in Maine are, then the sales tax will probably catch up with you. Good luck!

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #16  
I guess we are lucky here in Texas. All agricultural related purchases are tax free as long as you're registered and show your ag card.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #17  
You usually hear about how bad the IRS employees are, and with any group of that size, I'm sure they have some bad ones. But I've had personal experience with any of them only once, many, many years ago when I was a young clerk in the Post Office. At tax time, I figured I owed more than I had, so I went to the IRS office to inquire about the possibility of a payment plan. Instead, the IRS employee asked some questions, refigured my tax return, and even came up with a small refund instead of me owing them.:shocked:

Same here. When I was self-employed I made a significant, but honest mistake on tax forms. I realized it after about 9 months, and I immediately called the IRS. The woman I spoke with was very understanding, and even finished my sentence when I told her what had happened (not an uncommon mistake I guess). She got the supervisor to waive any penalties, and stopped the interest on the day I called. She patiently went through the paperwork for the three quarters I messed up, corrected them, gave me the amounts I needed to pay, and then put a tickler in her system to follow up in 30 days to make sure nothing else had popped up. A month later I got a call from her confirming everything was fixed, and a few days later an official letter followed. The last time I spoke with her I thanked her for being so wonderful...shocking, but true.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #18  
Pay the Tax. States have Clamped Down Hard on this.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #19  
I guess we are lucky here in Texas. All agricultural related purchases are tax free as long as you're registered and show your ag card.

We don't even need to register to take advantage of Ag tax exempt...just have to file a form with the dealer certifying it's an Ag purchase. Granted, not everyone qualifies, but the standard is pretty low for what qualifies.

/ Sales Tax?? Out of State Purchase. #20  
I recently purchased a used boat from a private party in another state. I paid the tax when I transfered the title...but the state sent a letter to the previous owner asking the sales price......Seems they think I got too good of a deal.... What a bunch of misuse of public employees time and effort.