Buying Advice Used JD 110 vs everything else

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #1  

moparrob

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota M59
Hello all-

Wife and I bought 4.5 acres to raise cows and build a home on, and I'm teetering on whether to rent or buy. I previously used a friend's JD 110 TLB to put in a leech field and I was very impressed with the machine. The power, weight (for digging as well as towability) and versatility were very cool, and I liked the creep to reposition feature (not only for trenching, but for changing attachments). I'll need the machine or machines to:

level a pad and dig footings for a barn and house
septic tank and leech field
lots of trench for water and conduit
de-rock and rototill a large garden (presently full of football sized rocks)
terrace and level some pasture (as well as comb some rocks out so grass can grow)
deepen and widen an existing pond
improve and maintain 1000' of gravel driveway (16% grade)
unload and load trucks and trailers while building
build motocross track for the kids (okay, me too!)
miscellaneous chores associated with raising cattle

It will definitely be cheaper to rent, but the rental yard is a 45 minute drive, and when I factor loading/unloading and hauling each way, that's two hours per day that I'm paying for the equipment but not using it. I also have 4 kids, so while the rental clock is ticking, I can work for 30 minutes, then shut the tractor down to take the little one potty, work 30 more minutes, break up a fight, then 30 more minutes, feed the kids lunch, etc.

I'm definitely leaning towards buying, but only if the price is right. I'm almost sold on a Mahindra 3616 with the 3720 backhoe, but I'm concerned that it won't have the digging power I need for the septic system. I'd really be mad if I bought something and had to rent another machine to do the job.

I've looked at the Kubota TLBs (L39, used L35, etc.), but new they are out of my price range. The utility tractors with a backhoe added are closer to my price range, but the digging force and hydraulic flow have me concerned about their ability also.

I keep coming back to the JD 110 TLB, possibly because it's what I'm familiar with, but I can't find any new tractors for around $30k that compare with the 110 used at that price. I want a backhoe strong enough to dig with a 24" bucket, quick change buckets, ability to use some SSL attachments, decent hydraulics and preferably a hydrostatic transmission.

Am I overlooking any other contenders or underestimating the power of the Mahindra?

Will a used 110 be a $30k money pit or should I stick to a new, lesser backhoe?

I'd sure appreciate your input in the matter. Thanks!!

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else
I should add that I've already rented a Kubota B26 with a scraper box and top-n-tilt. I really liked the machine, but didn't use the backhoe, so I cant say whether or not that would work for me. I'd say that it's probably the minimum size and weight that would work for me. It also doesn't have the creeper function which seems like it would save a lot of climbing on and off the tractor....

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #3  
I always felt that the 110 tlb was a very good machine. But many of the hydraulic options where factory installed only, so will want to make sure the unit already has what you need ahead of time. Like rear remotes, loader aux hyd, seven function hoe. Not all of the backhoes where quick coupler buckets either, that was an option. As far as flow is concerned they advertise 14gpm but the nominal flow is actually 10gpm, so not always the best unit for rotary powered attachments. Otherwise these machines I have always felt where tough as nails.

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #4  
Yes, forgot about the creep to reposition function, that is a great feature on that machine. Good luck

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #5  
The 110 is a sweet little machine, and it's too bad Deere stopped making them. That said, while it would be great for your backhoe work, I sort of feel like it might not be the best tool for the other work you have listed (in the sense that it would be too much or too expensive). Can you work up a mental percentage of how much of each type of work you do and get a feel if the backhoe percentage is high enough to justify a true backhoe?

As far as tractors with backhoes, you should definitely look at the backhoe specs for each one, as I know there a several brands/models that are better and some that are worse. I haven't looked in a couple years, but I do remember that the Mahindra I was looking at had a much weaker backhoe than the equivalent Kubota option (and that's just a generalization, not being biased for/against these brands). Same goes for the front loader too, if you plan to use that heavily. Really, you can start to make a list of specs and see how the compare to a Deere 110 to get an idea on paper (backhoe specs are one thing that can be compared on paper pretty easily).

For pricing, be sure to talk to a dealer for actual numbers, as you will generally see the best deals knocking 10-15% off the MSRP price listed on the websites (especially for Kubotas).

My only caution with a used 110 or any used backhoe is that you should have it thoroughly looked over by a pro. I have read several threads here on TBN where someone bought a used 110 and then later found out it had this or that problem, costing thousands of $$ in parts or time or personal labor to remedy. Backhoes tend to get used hard and put away wet, and they are not cheap to fix. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies! I've read about the frame-transmission bolt issues and I'd definitely look closely at that. The backhoe may be overkill considering it will mainly be used for the one septic system, some tree planting and leveling some uneven terrain, but I may try to do side jobs with the machine so it can help pay for itself (maybe, almost, sort of?). I'll give some more thought to renting a small excavator for the septic and using a smaller loader tractor with a scraper box for the other chores, but does it make sense that a bit too much is better than not enough when it comes to equipment?

Basically, I'm stuck between a $30k used 110 (with 3 quick change buckets, top-n-tilt, hydraulic scraper, front and rear aux hydraulics) and $20k-$25k new Mahindra or Kubota utility tractors with backhoe.

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #7  
After the building is done the hoe will get useless real quick on 4.5 acres.

If you like the 110 buy it and build with it and beat the **** out of it getting your place whipped into shape, then sell it and get a new tractor without a hoe to keep it maintained in the future.

That is what I would do.

Sounds like a great plan!

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #9  
For you purposes I wouldn't even consider a tractor. Not the right machine for the job. The Deere 110 has a lot of "purpose built features" built onto a 4000 series frame. Very good machine. It is built pretty much exactly for your needs. They are great tractors, and the backhoe on them is very strong. I had a tractor attachment backhoe, and for any work it was just a glorified shovel, I liked it but I also had my mini. And when you are done digging on the 110, pull the backhoe off and put on a box blade. I would buy the 110.

/ Used JD 110 vs everything else #10  
I've owned the JD110 and we sell the Mahindra line. No doubt the JD110 is more tractor than the 3616. I really like the JD110, we have sold quite a few of them. I've had two of them that were a problem. One had intermittent electrical issues. The other was more serious, as the transmission/bell housing area was cracked. I assume the loader got loose, the operator did not notice and things got to moving and busted the transmission. That was expensive. I'd buy another, but pay a little extra and get a nice one that has had one operator/owner.

The 3616 is more like a green JD, not a yellow one. A nice compact tractor with a very well sorted out backhoe. The 3720 is a very nice backhoe. But it is not the equivalent of the JD110 or the commercial line of Kubota tractors, like the L35/L39 or whatever the current version is. But again, you pay for the duty cycle and heft of the commercial machines.

It is mostly a matter of your expectations. Just like I admire the JD110, a guy that daily runs a JD210 extenda-hoe won't give you a nickel for a JD110. And the guy with a 30 ton CAT excavator wonders why the guy with the JD210 even messes with that little "garden tractor". Perspective!