a tractor can break in half?

/ a tractor can break in half? #1  

treesmiths

Tractor
tg1860-Kubota
I went to my local Massey dealer yesterday to see what they offered in the 25 to 30 hp range and he showed me a slightly used (223 hours) 33hp that they were putting back together and could make me a deal on. The engine and transmission serve as the frame on this model and the engine block broke in half, and the engine was bieng replaced! YIKES!

Is it just the Massey product or do most small tractors stand a chance of breaking in half? This is inconcievable to me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Why no frame?

The dealer went on to say that the prior owner had put a backhoe on it and had abused the machine by dropping the front end loader down for stability while operating the backhoe. Sounds like something I might do. Shouldn't any tractor be able to withstand its own hydraulic pressures and stresses?

I stopped by the Kubota dealer and picked up a brochure on the new L3400 priced at 15995.00 and I've also been impressed with the Cub Cadet 26 hp at 13500.00 but I never see Cubs in rental fleets. I wonder if they break in half? Any suggestions? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ a tractor can break in half? #2  
There are many tractors that have been built without a frame going back years and years. Never heard of one breaking but then my knowledge is very limited.

Egon

/ a tractor can break in half? #3  
You occasionally hear of a tractor breaking in half and seems it almost always involves the use of a backhoe. Frameless tractors is probably the most prevalent design for many years.

/ a tractor can break in half? #4  
Yeah most tractors do not have a 'frame' because the integral drivetrain is the frame. While I would not suggest buying this particular Cub (nothing abused should be purchased in my opinion) there is no reason to avoid the Cub - they are made largely by Mitsubishi, and there is a worldwide respect for their tractors. Loaders and backhoes can be improperly used and can place unbelievable stress on the tractor...just watch a commercial backhoe working fast, and you see the thing bouncing and stressing...yikes.

I heard of a guy in my area who broke a BX22 basically in half trying to use his backhoe as a battering ram or something. Actually tried to make a warranty claim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anything can be broken. Way back in my past I remember seeing an old kubota L225 split at the tranny seal when it was being used to ballast a bunch of steel beams being lifted by an excavator. oops. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ a tractor can break in half? #5  
That is what is called structural construction. You'll find more tractors built that way then with some type of frame.

I've seen a few tractors split before. All had loaders. Some were from bolts loosening up,some from having too big of loaders installed,others from outright abuse.

/ a tractor can break in half? #6  
This happens it is usually from abuse. We usually see one a year that has split in two piece normally at the bell housing. I have seen this happen with all brands so it is not something happens to just one.

/ a tractor can break in half? #7  
<font color="blue">The dealer went on to say that the prior owner had put a backhoe on it and had abused the machine by dropping the front end loader down for stability while operating the backhoe. Sounds like something I might do. </font>

Sounds like something we all do!

I always put my loader bucket on the ground when using the backhoe. Normally with the teeth of the tooth bar sticking into the ground so I am sure the tractor stays where I put it.

There have been threads in the past about possible broken tractors caused by 3PH backhoes, and at least one report of a a broken tractor in addition to yours.

I think the consensus here is that a subframe is preferable, but that in most cases a 3ph hoe that is properly designed can also work well if the tractor is designed for use with a hoe.

Personally, if a backhoe were in my future that tractor would not be. Especially if it happened like the dealer is reporting.

/ a tractor can break in half? #8  
"but I never see Cubs in rental fleets."
Heres a data point. The state of NH bought a small fleet of Cubs for road side mowing. If you're really interested in the Cub and how they held up I could make some calls and get back to you. jimg

/ a tractor can break in half? #9  
My brother worked for a New Holland dealership for a number of years. He has told me of CUT's and some larger tractors breaking apart as you describe. Seems like 90% of the time a backhoe is installed on these tractors. That is not to say the backhoe broke the tractor, the operator broke the tractor.

One particular tractor broke twice when the operator drove over rough ground too fast too long. There is a lot of weight hanging off the back of a tractor with a BH attachment. I would venture to say those who put weight boxes on the 3PH to counter balance a loader can stress the "frame" of a tractor driving too fast over bumpy ground.

My brother told me if I want to put a BH on my tractor to look for one with a full sub frame that is designed to take the stress off the main frame. Don't go larger than the manufacturer recommends.

You can break anything if you try. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Randy

/ a tractor can break in half? #10  
yes they can and will break in half. Some times it is a result of abuse. The several that I have seen (they were all from the big 3) were caused by a light duty loader. That is to say, a less expensive, light duty loader mounting system is not desighned to do heavy work. there is a lot of stresses involved with FELs. You could compare this to pickup trucks... there are the little bitty ones, the full size 1/2 ton, 3/4, 1 ton and up and up and up. You would not expect the short bed sporty 1/2 ton to do the same work that a full size 1 ton. Same with loaders. Most FELs are capable of picking up way too much weight for the tractor and OPERATOR to handle safely. Front End Loaders are front end loaders, not bull dozers or track loaders. There is a big differance between getting rid of horse poop, or spreading a load of base material for your road and DIGGING a stock tank.
The break out force that is advertised on FELs is onle part of your consideration. How strong is the mounting system? What kind of use are you going to put it to? A lighter loader costs less. and will do less.
The FELs that go with the tractors I sell are mounted front, center, and all the way to the rear end... It is MASSIVE and it cost more, and they can do more without damaging the tractor.
Choosing the right machine for your needs can be very frustrating. There are a lot of very helpful folks on this forum. Find you a dealer who will set down and talk to you... Buy from him (her), and it will save you money in the long run.
I hope I have helped.