Buying Advice Need help on Final decision

/ Need help on Final decision #1  

serenityseeker64

Tractor
None
Found a dealer I want to work with. Think I have it narrowed down to 2. Both Kioti.

DK45SE gear, with FEL,new on lot, 25.9K tier 3

NX 5010 gear, new, with FEL 29.5 K Tier 4

I have 80 mostly forested acres in SC, clay soil, half mile dirt/clay/gravel road, rolling terrain. Lots of road maintenance,brush and trial clearing to be done, food plots, dirt/rocks to be delivered and moved for landscaping. Will have site work around the house that needs to be done. Have a long list of projects ahead. House being built now.

What do you think the best choice is and why? You thoughts on the prices? Met the general manager and had a long talk about service philosophy. I am a skeptical SOB but between meeting him and internet research I feel comfortable buying here. That being said I am a newbie of sorts, haven't had my but in a tractor seat in 25 years.

I will be looking to get a rotary cutter mostly for brush and trail clearing, land grader (think bionic blade type) and eventually a backhoe.

any help/input appreciated.

/ Need help on Final decision #2  
:welcome: to the forum, from Québec, Canada!:)
I like your user name! It talks to me, as it is my way of life...
This said, congratulations on your upcoming tractor purchase! You will join an ever growing pack...! I do not own one but would definitely consider Kioti brand of Tractors if I were on the hunt for one. Have considered a cab model at all?
Both models you are considering are definitely close to what your needs are. I would lean towards the NX5010. Why? First, you have mentioned a food plot. If it is a garden, or a little bit of agriculture, you will love the fact that it has creepy gears. Big bonus if you need it. Also, you mentioned the future purchase of a three point backhoe. As the galonage is higher on the NX5010, it will also translate in a more doable attachment. Time is money, and you are starting from scratch. Meaning many hours of work and enjoyments at the helm of the orange beast!! The NX5010 is a three cylinder engine. It could translate in more noise and vibration unfortunately. But I will bet you that in terms of responsiveness and fuel mileage, the NX5010 will be a tad better.
On the down side, the ground clearance is less about an inch compared to the DK45:confused: The DK45 has a shorter turning radius by about two feet as well.
Since you have purchased a 80 acre wooded land, you will be in the market for a root/debris grapple:thumbsup: Much to read on the subject right here on T.B.N. I would ask the dealer to add an integrated loader joystick third fonction. It will prove to be the smartest "accessory" purchase decision to thank yourself for when time comes:) Also, see if you could have a second rear remote thrown in. Tire ballast is a must also. As are R1 tires, not R4s for your usage.
You will hear more comments coming from DK45 owners, as the NX5010 is a more recent model.
Good luck in making this lifetime purchasing decision!:tractor:

/ Need help on Final decision #3  
The DK is a good tractor and would be my pick...I would avoid $ier 4 given the choice.......price seems a little high on the DK45 by a couple grand, however, you are lucky to have found one.

Have you considered Hydrostatic drive?

Last edited:
   / Need help on Final decision #4  
Since you have purchased a 80 acre wooded land, you will be in the market for a root/debris grapple. I would ask the dealer to add an integrated loader joystick third fonction. It will prove to be the smartest "accessory" purchase decision to thank yourself for when time comes:) Also, see if you could have a second rear remote thrown in. Tire ballast is a must also.

I second WOODCHIPPER on ordering a grapple with the minor additional hydraulic hardware a grapple requires.

A Backhoe added later will cost you almost double what it costs as part of your initial tractor purchase. If grubbing out stumps or trenching are the reasons you want a Backhoe, order one. For minor digging and planting a FEL Bucket Spade may serve your needs for $<400.

LINK: Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel

I am not a fan of loaded tires. Soil compaction is something I consider always and avoid as much as possible.

For grapple counterbalance I would operate with an implement mounted on the Three Point Hitch, which provides efficient counterbalance as the weight is cantilevered behind the rear axle and relieves stress on the front axle and bearings.

PHOTO FROM YESTERDAY: Approximately 1,300 pounds wet vines and woodland debris on Debris Forks, counterbalanced by 18/20" Tufline Disc Harrow @ 915 pounds. Vines were torn from trees and ground with a Ratchet Rake on HD bucket.

For woods cleanup and light grading a Ratchet Rake is a high value FEL attachment. (Photo #6) There are many Ratchet Rake videos on U-Tube.

Attachments

• DSC00301.jpg
    DSC00301.jpg
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00302.jpg
    DSC00302.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • DSC00286.jpg
    DSC00286.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
   / Need help on Final decision #5  
I also suggest getting any factory add on at purchase time. There are usually cash back programs associated with them at time of purchase that can translate into a lot of saved cash. For instance I was able to save almost 2k on my backhoe purchase done at the same time as tractor. Along with other promotions I was able to save even more, walking out with the tractor and Loader for 21,900 for a DK40 HST.
I think your dealer can do better and even with the DK being in limited supply I would be sure that Kioti is offering incentives to move the last of them off the lots to make way for the New machines. Remember big business dosnt think like we do but a slick dealer will hold out for a higher price because its tier 3 and make you feel like he is doing you a favor while he picks your pocket.

/ Need help on Final decision #6  
The DK is a good tract6r and would be my pick...I would avoid $ier 4 given the choice.......price seems a little high on the DK45 by a couple grand, however. you are lucky to have found one.

Have you considered Hydrostatic drive?

I agree, dealer by me has a DK45SE HST for $25K, that includes filled tires

/ Need help on Final decision
First of all thanks so much to everyone replying. I considered hydrostatic but just not sure its worth the extra money to me. I spent a lot of time in a tractor seat many moons ago, never had it, doubt I would miss it.
I have a cpl of questions that likely seem silly but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is negotiating with the dealer like negotiating for a car? I got the impression there was less wiggle room.

Do ya'll think the HP,Size/wt difference would make a lot of difference to me based on what info I could give? I keep hearing that buying all the HP/Weight you can afford is good, but not sure how difference I would get between these two.

Do I just straight up ask for a discount on the backhoe?

Could anyone explain the extra remotes to me in basic language...what they are, where they, what they will do. Do they require additional controls to be added to the tractor? Is this what I would get/use for things like a grapple? Are these a negotiable part of the deal?

How do I find out if Kioti is offering dealer incentives?

I am tempted to finance using the zero percent. Buying the property and building the house are taxing the cash flow. I figure zero percent is a good deal with most things considered.

Thanks for all of your patience and info. I will find a way to pay the kindness forward to someone else.

Last edited:
   / Need help on Final decision #8  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama.

/ Need help on Final decision #9  
Dealers are reluctant to negotiate price until you have your complete tractor-loader package finalized. If you want a grapple, include it. If you want a Backhoe, include it. Once you get the package assembled, create a new thread in BUYING/PRICING/COMPAIRISONS FORUM, asking what others have paid and what dealer incentives are available, if any. Take the answers as a guide, nothing more. (Personally, my Kubota dealer treats me extremely well. I have purchased two tractors from him and it would be unlikely I would buy from another Kubota dealer. The advise I have received has been priceless.)

You should consider HST. Most tractors below 60 horsepower are sold with HST today, and you will get the additional cost back when you sell. There is not much demand for gear tractors, new or used, in the Compact Utility Tractor category.

HST's are more reliable than gear/clutch transmissions. They are safer on hills and when mounting implements. Other family members can use safely HST with only a little instruction. You need to catch up, rather than doubting HST without knowing HST.

LINK:https://www.google.com/search?clien...sl#rls=en&q=HST+vs+Gear+site:tractorbynet.com

You need an extra remote to operate clamping of the grapple. It is a front remote. Front remote is operated with an additional control, often a button mounted on the FEL joystick control. Rear remotes are probably standard on your Kioti. (With Kubota rear remotes are extra.) Rear remotes power hydraulically operated implements, like log splitters.

Zero interest is not zero interest. Incentive will be less from Kioti and net price from dealer will not be as generous if you take so called zero interest. If you finance you must buy insurance from Kioti. This is a good thing. Buy insurance and be happy. Having said this, Kioti financing will be cheaper than bank financing.

You have to decide on weight and horsepower. It is a subjective decision. Heavier and more is better if within your budget. Clay is tough stuff.

There are two things tractor newbies want: Loaded tires and Backhoes. With 4-WD traction is seldom a problem.

Backhoes are fine if used enough to justify the considerable cost. Problem is, the main part of a tractor is the Three Point Hitch, which is covered by the Backhoe. So to use the Three Point Hitch and Backhoe interchangeably, you are always wrestling the Backhoe on or off. Backhoes should not be stored outside. A Backhoe needs to be stored indoors in a space with humidity control.

A <$400 Bucket Spade is pretty effective. With Bucket Spade on your FEL bucket your Three Point Hitch remains available for implements.

Last edited:
   / Need help on Final decision #10  
Look at the Kioti web site for a little bit on the special deals going on. The cash back is almost always a mystery until you have the hole package figured out and almost always says it cant be used with this or that, BUT In many cases it can be used even when it says it cant be. For example I received a cash back on the back hoe purchase and still was able to take advantage of the FREE Loader program even when the web site said it wasn't do-able (some dealers said it wasn't do-able and only 2 were able to figure out how). I could not however get zero percent interest with the free loader so sometimes what you are able to take advantage of depends on if your doing zero percent, regular finance or paying cash. I paid cash so I was able to capitalize on anything I wanted.
I also had some dealers tell me that the DK wasn't eligible for the Free loader and that some of the cash back deals were not good for the DK so you might want to update yourself on what promotions are going on before talking price again!

By the way the free loader program was still good for the DK series last I looked at their web site. That alone should drop the price considerably to what they have quoted you thus far.

I wont argue one way or the other on HST or Gear as I am very comfortable with both. I do see advantages with each and would only make a decision on that based of price-vs-most common use for the individual. Its not a simple decision such as some make it sound to be when they say loader work is best with a HST, as I have many loader tasks that would be handled just as well if not better than HST with shuttle. SO it can actually come down to some very detailed specifics that can sway one way or the other depending on the operator and their level of confidence with the gear.

To get your dealer motivated to give a better deal tell them straight up that you want the tractor but Need him to make the price work for you and if you cant you will have to shop someplace else or maybe even a different brand. There is no shame in being honest nor is their any shame in sopping other brands such as LS or TYM for competitive prices or even an other Kioti dealer. I find it works best for me to lay my cards on the table so they can understand the deals that are tempting me to buy someplace else and let them work out a deal that brings their machine closer to some of those deals. They wont always be able to beat all the other prices but sometimes getting the gap closed a little is more than enough to compensate for a machine you might like a little better than the rest (just don't openly admit that as knowing could cost you a hundred bucks or more):).

Remember one thing is that beating them to death isn't good they need to be profitable to ensure they are there for you when/if you need them and don't buy everything for maint from someplace else. Their info and advice will always be beneficial to you as long as they are in business.

The backhoe on the DK can be dismounted and re-mounted in less than 8 min on level ground! My wife timed me on the first try and it only took 10 min. The third time she timed me again and it was just under 8 min. So changing out the backhoe with the DK takes about as much time as hooking up a PTO driven 3 point attachment for me. How much use you will get out of one no? one here can answer but I for one keep finding new things to do with it and doubt I will sell it even if it sat in the garage for ten years unused but then again I am sort of a pack rat when tools of any type are concerned.

Last edited: