Tractor Sizing I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me.

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #1  

EShaffer89

Tractor
none
Hello, my name is Liz and live in West Virginia. I am 25 and just recently took over our family farm when my father passed away in November. We have apx. 86 acres and the landscape is mostly sloping but with some flat land. I will need a tractor that can handle brush hogging, square bailing (roughly 800 per cutting with 2-3 cuttings per year), snow removal and grading (we live at the end of the road and usually take care of 3-4 miles for the neighbors), tilling multiple gardens and general duties around the farm. I have little experience with large tractors so I would prefer to buy new so that I don't end up with alot of problems from a used tractor that I wouldn't find until after purchasing. My brother is able to teach me how to work the tractor. I would appreciate if you could give me advice on what size I would need (thinking the 60 - 80 hp range) and possibly which brand is best to learn on. I would also need all the attachments and equipment, hay rake, tedder, baler, bucket, loader, brush hog and pull behind flat bed trailer. My father owned John Deere and Kioti, but was looking into New Holland. Thank you for your advice! :)

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #2  
What type of equipment do you have already. The tasks are fine, but I'm assuming you already have the tools so sizing the tractor in relation to those would be the most logical. Welcome btw! As far as brands it's mostly a personal preference of local dealers for parts and service support.

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me.
I currently do not have any equipment at all. He sold our tractor a few months ago and was looking to purchase a new one. I have also been looking at the Case LB 324 Baler. Thanks.

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #4  
So your buying all "new" farm equipment to get it back in operation? I hope you have a pile of money sitting around or are very handy with tools. This is no small undertaking. Are you thinking of just doing it for fun, to feed animals that are there, or trying to turn a profit? Those all seem like pretty relevant questions to try and reccomend equipment. If it's just a hobby, smaller older equipment will be fine and also much cheaper. If you have a large pile of money to burn, it's very easy to spend several thousand dollars on all new gear.

I would definitely suggest a 4wd, a loader, and buy a tractor by looking at the pto hp and not the flywheel advertised hp.

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me.
We are looking to start a meat goat operation this spring and also have 2 horses for fun. We have been talking to our extension service about grants to help out. I just want to make sure that I get equipment that is worth the money and will hold up to the abuse of day in and day out. We would also sell at least one of the cuttings for profit and we sell produce from our gardens so we are looking to expand their size and a tractor would cut down our prep time.

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #6  
I think I would go 80-100 hp 4wd. For any kind of serious hay production that hp range will get into the frame size that you need. I am really only familiar with John Deere, so I'd be thinking a 5085E or a 5100E. If you had some extra cash, and want something very nice, I would say a 5085M or a 5100M.
What did your father have for a John Deere? Did he like the dealer? Did they provide good service?

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #7  
Taking on a debt load for all new equipment that you're considering is an ill-advised business strategy - IMO. Especially with just 86 acres, a thousand bales of hay to sell and a bit of livestock income.

How much can you share labor and equipment with your neighbors? Could you set up a short-term lease agreement or work your fields on a share basis?

The list of new equipment that you're considering could easily end up in the $125,000 range. Might be easier on your stress level if you look for good used equipment and/or share the load wherever you can.

AKfish

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #8  
If you want a new tractor and you don't have experience on them, I'd buy the biggest hydrostatic tractor you can find. Like a kioti nx6010, a Kubota l6060 or MX5800. That'll have all the hp you need for the size equipment you want to run. Being hydrostatic you can always slow down just a touch if you don't have quite enough HP. Also, if you go this route you'll have a more user friendly machine for all the rest of you tasks.

Should you need more horsepower for bigger equipment later, buy a used Deere 4020 or similar sized international. That's what I'd do anyway. At the very least do yourself a favor and test-drive a hydrostatic machine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #9  
Welcome!
I admire your attitude and forward thinking and willingness to admit what you know and need to know.
sorry for the loss of your father. You say "we" and I'm assuming this means your mother, thus not really an extra strong back to help out with things. You'll be doing much by yourself.
Glad you are here...and feel free to ask all questions...there will be various answers, some even conflicting. This is good, points out that different people have different experiences, skills and situations. You will need to figure out how to apply all these various recommendations and ideas to your situation. Getting advice from soil conservation people, local neighbors, etc who know/understand your resources and capacities will be invaluable. There are several lady farmers who are active on TBN....they may well have some advice for you as well...you might even send them a Private Message (pm) with particular questions.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you spend lots of time reading thru TBN threads.... use the search engine to find threads of interest .....use words like goats, garden, hay, etc.... none of the problems you face are unique to you, although you may find your own special ways of dealing with them. You surely can read about how others have addressed the issues and their successes and failures, etc....

My thoughts, based on the comments you have made so far...
86 acres are going to be very hard to turn a profit on ...you'll have to have a sharp pencil, clever marketing and work dawn to past dark
All the studies I've seen say that owning hay equipment for small acreage is uneconomical...strongly consider hiring the cutting/baling
hope you have experience with goats...they are everywhere, jump up on everything, will go thru all but the tightest of fences
goats will not go well with gardens unless WELL fenced out.
These fences need to be in place ALREADY...building fence, particularly for goats, is EXTREMELY expensive and labor intensive, time consuming.
I hope you have sheds where you can keep trailers and equipment, weather can mess stuff up and cost you unproductive maintenance effort
Several trailers will prove very handy...one for each kind of purpose...fencing, putting out feed, etc...unloading/loading trailers takes lots of time
you will need some sort of bulk fuel tank for your tractor fuel. Preferably a gravity/electric pump feed...lifting 5 gallons gets OLD.
If you can confine/control your goats, you may find they do the work of a brush hog...they will certainly eat brush and forbs to the ground.
I agree goats are preferred over cattle...you can handle a goat by hand, not so for a cow. Burn the horn buds of kids at an early age.
The more diversity you have, the less susceptible you are to a single failure point BUT the more you will need to do/know.
You will need vet supplies for the goats. I do not recommend milking the goats, been there, hard work.
You hopefully can put the goats in a shed at night...predators such as coyotes, wild cats will take a terrible toll otherwise.
A herding dog, such as a border collie if you can learn to train/use the dog, is an IMMENSE help.
Use food to herd your goats...to get them to come into a pen...lead them rather than push them...works better.
You will need a FULL set of tools, hopefully they are already there...organize what you have and make it your own, you'll use them often,.
The tractor should have a FEL, loaded tires, quick attach on FEL, bucket with chain hooks and tooth bar, a PATS or quick attach for 3ph
Frankly, I'd get the largest hydrostatic tractor I could. This is about 59 hp for a Kubota. 4 wheel drive. I have 200+ acres and a 50 hp tractor which has served me well and I've plowed fields of 20-30 acres with it...takes time, but it'll work if you do.
An HST tractor can be driven very precisely and for that reason, IMHO, is safer than other transmissions.
I like Kubota tractors, but then everybody likes the brand they already have.
I recommend some sort of 4 wheeler/motorcycle to move over the property, can't take tractor everywhere.
Learn how to use hydraulics and diesel to replace your muscles whenever you can.
Many people find FEL forks to be extremely handy for lifting, carrying, placing things. Maybe get a bunch of wood pallets.
If you can share equipment/labor with a neighbor, barter stuff, that will go a long way, experiment with equipment to know what you NEED.
Little things make a huge difference sometimes..gloves, a 3 lb hammer, metal pry bar, wide brim hat, rubber boots, etc...
I hope you have shotgun and know how to use it...handy for varmints, rodents, reptiles
carry a cell phone with you ALWAYS...a safety tool in case you get hurt/need help.

Wishing you all the best!!:thumbsup:

/ I would like your opinion on what size and brand tractor is for me. #10  
Very thoughtful considerations from texasjohn. According to USDA statistics, 70 percent of farming operations fail during the transition from the 1st generation of owner/operators to the next generation.

Thankfully, you are are willing to acknowledge what you don't know and have engaged your local NRCS folk's and other resources to help you moving forward.

That's not to say can't buy a nice, reliable (with warranty) tractor to work the farm... As other's have mentioned a 60hp tractor with hydrostatic transmission would be a good option to consider.

You're undertaking a "lifelong" commitment and like everyone on this forum; you will learn and adapt every Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.

Best wishes,

AKfish