Tractor size question

/ Tractor size question #11  
That does make sense on what year.
Sorry I did not make sense on my reply(stupid iPhone) what the neighbors all do is till up around the shelter belts not mow like I'm hoping to do.
Good point on taking a few off if it's to hard to pull. The disc is nearly straight and welded that way so I guess that's what I got.
Thanks for the input the tractor field is so confusing to me.

I understand the confusion. It can be VERY confusing. For your situation, I'd suggest the 90/10 rule. I.e., figure out what you need for 90% of the time, and then figure out how to use that machine to get the other 10% done.

It sounds to me like you need a 50hp tractor about 90% of the time, and a 70 or 75hp tractor about 10% of the time. If you've got plenty in your budget, then I'd buy a 75hp tractor with a hydraulic shuttle transmission, which is not as easy to use as HST, but it's easier than a regular shuttle or a standard old gear tractor. (With the hydraulic shuttle, you still have gears and you have a lever on the steering column to change from forwards to backwards, and you don't have to use the clutch to change directions.) Unfortunately HST transmissions are not available on tractors over approx 60hp.

If 60hp will do it, then a Kubota L6060 or L5740 would be a good fit, and both are available with an HST tranny. The Mahindra 6010 and Kioti NX6010 are also available with HST. I'm not sure what the other manufacturers have in that range.

I'd suggest going to your local dealers and do some test drives and get their recommendations also.

/ Tractor size question #12  
One more thing. Whatever you buy, if you buy new, be sure to get a skid steer quick attach (SSQA) type front end loader. SSQA allows you to flip a lever (or two) to drop the bucket, and then attach a grapple or pallet forks or bale spear, etc., flip a lever (or two) and off you go. Mix and repeat as necessary.

I would also highly recommend getting at least two sets of rear hydraulic remotes. In addition to other uses, you may find some used implements that a pull-type implements that use a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower gauge wheels to adjust the height. Trust me on this: You will find plenty of uses for rear remotes.

/ Tractor size question #13  
37 acres is not a huge tract. Lots of people around here farmed with a 35hp 2wd tractor. You would need at least that much, but 75 horsepower is overkill in my opinion. A hydro saps a bit of power but too big can make your tractor harder to manage. Take a look at a Kioti DK45se hydro.

/ Tractor size question #14  
I'd buy a big hydro machine. 45-60hp, as heavy as you can get it. Kubota MX series or l6060, or other brand equivalent. You can always take some discs or feet off the cultivators. Also, you can always buy a 60-70hp international or Ford 2wd later down the road if you need more pull.

/ Tractor size question #15  
Greetings I'm the lucky buyer of an old farmstead and all the old junk that goes with it scattered across 37 acres.
I am shopping for a new tractor and am leaning towards an HST but have not made the final decision yet.
I will be needing to pull a disc and duck foot about 5% of the time. The rest will be mowing and digging out snow and dirt work.
What I need to know is how much horsepower will I need to pull this equipment? The previous owner told me 50hp but that was on a 2 wheel drive older JD.
The ground has a lot of clay in it but he kept it broke up around the trees so I don't think it will be real hard to keep it that way.
Thanks in advance
View attachment 410137

That's a nice field cultivator with those transport wheels. 50 hp (engine) would be enough to handle it in dry or damp soil.

I had a disc like yours--an old Massey Ferguson about 7 ft wide. It was pretty lightweight, so I had to add about 500 lb of weight to get it to plow effectively. Used it and a homemade drag (a piece of chain link fence loaded with concrete weights and chained to the disc) in my 7 acre hayfield for secondary tillage and also for cutting about 1/2 mile of firebreaks along my fencelines. My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 2WD, simple gear tranny, weight about 7500 lb with FEL and loaded rear tires) handled it easily.

Good luck

/ Tractor size question
Good advice thanks. It seemed to me a 50 hp would be overkill . I think it would be easier to teach the wife to drive a hydrostatic tractor as well.
I like the kubota but wow are they proud of them. I've been looking at the LS xr4046 with a cab. The kubota dealer wants 15 k more for the equivalent tractor.

/ Tractor size question #17  
Thanks yeah they came with the place.
They used them to keep the weeds down and to make a fire break around the house and barn. I'm trying to figure out a ground cover that won't compete with the trees but something I could mow and still get the fire break that's what everyone around here does.
I'm more interested in planting food plots and re growing the shelter belts for the wildlife. As far as planting or working the ground I'm not planning on it it's covered real well in crested wheat. They used to bale it but I'm just letting it go cause the pheasants love it. But I do have a baler if I change my mind.

I guess my real question is how does something like an LS 46 hp hydrostic drive 4x4 compare to the 50 hp John Deere he was doing it with?

Personally, I wouldn't even use the tillage tools you have.

I'd buy a 50hp FARM tractor with a GOOD rotary cutter (brush hog) and a heavy duty 3 point rototiller.

For brands, I would buy a 6' medium duty Woods Brush Bull for the rotary cutter.

For the tiller, I'd buy a 6' Howard, Kuhn or Maschio, what ever is available to you, and the tiller would have a gear box rated for at least 70hp.

Those two tools would do everything you listed above and do them better than what you have...

I said FARM tractor because they are heavier built that a compact tractor... Heavier built and will take HD work loads longer. One example is a Case IH JX 65. It's the economy version no frills tractor that is heavy duty enough to last a long time.

SR

/ Tractor size question #18  
My wife refuses to use our hyd shuttle tractor. And she hated the small gear tractor before that. Finally, went with a low hour, JD4720 HST, cab and 66Hp. She likes it!!

I agree with maintaining the shelter belt areas with a brush hog type mower. Growing up in SD, everyone kept the ground black in the shelter belts. I think that practice is beginning to change as you lose more soil moisture than you save and you're always open to invasive weeds moving in. Better to have a healthy stand of grass that provides wildlife cover and food, etc.

Whatever model of tractor you buy -- service and parts -- as well as qualified folks you can count on is -- huge! I can hardly over emphasize that aspect of owning a tractor. The $10,000 you save upfront can be gone in a single breakdown.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Tractor size question #20  
I actually lived in Great Falls from 1993 to 1996...loved it there, but Uncle Sam moved me :-(

I think you could probably get by with an LS XR4046, but I'd look at a Kioti NX series instead. I had an LS and it was a good, reliable machine, but the front end loader is limited in lift height (96") compared with equivalent machines from other brands. There is a Helena Farm Supply carries Kioti, so it's not a long drive...they've been in business for decades.

Aside from the FEL issue, the Kioti would offer a couple of very handy features absent on the LS....a 3pt control lever in back of the machine which makes hooking up implements much easier, a more advanced HST system with auto-throttle, anti-stall, and actual ground speed cruise control, a bit more 3pt lift capacity, and a bit nicer interior if you're looking at cabbed models.

The difference in price is usually only a couple of thousand between the LS and Kioti. I was shopping for those models last year I never got a quote for an NX 6010, but I did for the 4510, 5010 and 5510. The 5510 and 6010 have larger wheels and tires, which is a plus in my book. A 4510 was $29,500, and then add another $1K (a bit less) to add a radio, rear wiper, and two sets of remotes. The 5010 was $31K, plus the $1K for options. A 5510 was around $32,500 plus the $1K for options. I think the 6010 was around $34k plus the $1K for options, but I'm not 100% certain on that.