Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant!

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I spend way too much time "shopping" on the internet and have found some great deals but not sure I would want that legacy written on my headstone. My question is why so many sellers seem incapable of posting a clear listing, is there a reason or is it just stupidity?

There are three basic pieces of information most people need to determine if they are interested, how old is it, what shape is it in and how much is it. Disregarding the ads from scammers and commercial salespeople 90% of "by owner" ads are missing some or all of this information. Do people like twenty questions before a deal is even in play or are 90% of the posters just stupid?

My second issue with WTS postings is the seller asking a ridicules amount for the item which I believe drives everyone to respond with "what is your lowest price" before even knowing the value of what they are buying. Of course the seller has every right to ask what he wants, but do people really ever pay these inflated amounts and if not ,why start with them? Do they like the lets make a deal banter or again, just stupid?

For what it is worth if when I have found something I am looking for in excellent condition I consider a price 2/3 of new a fair deal and 1/2 of new a great deal. I also do not like to dance which may explain my irritation. :laughing:

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #3  
If it bugs you that much, shop differently.
No, the world revolves around me and I want everyone to do it MY way! :laughing:

I do agree with Belzington though, a LOT of ads on Craigslist leave out some pertinent info.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #4  
I agree 100% with what you say. I see the same types of ads all the time. No price, no clue what year it is, condition, location (at least give a town it's near), no contact info, no pics etc.
There are others that post a price on a used item that is more than you can buy it new for. I guess they are hoping for someone who doesn't shop around.
Here's one example. I was looking for a used salamander heater on CL. I found several used 125,000-135,000 BTU heaters with asking prices of $300-400. I can buy those heaters brand new at Tractor Supply on sale for $269 (regular price $300 not on sale). I figured a used one should be around $100.
There are some realistic people who do provide decent items at a decent price and I have purchased and sold many things on CL. If the price looks good I'll call and set up a viewing time to go look. Once I've seen the item I can dicker price from there.

Last edited:
   / Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #5  
The best is car ads where they don't put the mileage.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant!
The popular person texting all the time - Here is the conversation

Blue
110,000 miles
4 Door
no damage
$10,500
Atlanta
This weekend
around 11am

I think I just answered my own question. The current generation has been texting for so long they do not know how to compose a complete thought. Not stupid just distracted.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #7  
Maybe I'm not jaded yet but I think half the fun is the hunt. Most adds are worthless and I think both parties would be better served by adding the right info and better pictures. (Seriously two pics is good enough for a $10k tractor?!)

That said my best finds have been from folks liquidating machinery, maybe for personal reasons, and so the seller doesn't always know what I'd like to find out. If that's the case I just try to be polite and offer to help them through finding out or offer to visit. At least three times I've been given first option on something that likely could sell for more if I turned it down. Met some really cool folks too in the process.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #8  
<<<<<<<<<<<<Or HoW abOUt ThE GUy wHO TyPeS LikE THiS iN hIS aD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I Emailed a guy selling a QA front mount hydraulic snow blower. Told him I was very interested and willing to pay his asking price (which was a good price). He claimed it was Low flow pump which is what I would need but he is a 2 hour ride away. I didn't want to drive all the way there and back without knowing for sure. All I asked him to do was get me the hydraulic pump info off the tag so I could look it up to see if it was a Hi or Low flow pump. Never heard from him again and ad is still listed 3 months later.

Last edited:
   / Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant!
Maybe I'm not jaded yet but I think half the fun is the hunt. Most adds are worthless and I think both parties would be better served by adding the right info and better pictures. (Seriously two pics is good enough for a $10k tractor?!)

That said my best finds have been from folks liquidating machinery, maybe for personal reasons, and so the seller doesn't always know what I'd like to find out. If that's the case I just try to be polite and offer to help them through finding out or offer to visit. At least three times I've been given first option on something that likely could sell for more if I turned it down. Met some really cool folks too in the process.

You make a good point, I should lighten up and enjoy the ride. But in my defense it took four emails, a text and a phone call to determine if the pallets were hardwood or soft.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #10  
You make a good point, I should lighten up and enjoy the ride. But in my defense it took four emails, a text and a phone call to determine if the pallets were hardwood or soft.

Haha I've had some exasperating experiences though. My worst was one time I tried to give away some poor quality dusty hay that was in the barn I bought. I specifically said in the ad it wasn't horse quality if they were my animals. I had four people ask me if they could feed it to their horses! I ended up giving up and took the ad down actually. I may yet put it back up once I start to pitch it into MY own manure spreader.