Buying Advice Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get?

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #51  
I own a small Case 2400 which was sold in 2008. It has a nice FEL, 2 gang disc, and box blade. I don't have the mower deck but might find one on Craigslist. It only has 208 hours on the engine and fits my place nicely since I only have one acre and most of it is in trees (pecan orchard). One thing: it has a narrow width and upsets easily if I'm not watching carefully. If your land has side slopes, make sure you have the proper width tires or can add dually tires to the rear to keep from rolling over. I rolled my and was trapped under it. I lucked out and was not hurt too much since the tractor was only at a 45 degree slant. I was trying to clean out the irrigation ditch. If I had a larger unit (35hp) I could have used a backhoe to clean out the irrigation ditch. Be aware of the safety issues when operating a small tractor; it's very easy to get hurt. Good luck with your research. See if any of your neighbors will let you drive their tractor so you can get a better idea of what is needed in your area. Most folks are very helpful.

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #52  
I own a small Case 2400 which was sold in 2008. It has a nice FEL, 2 gang disc, and box blade. I don't have the mower deck but might find one on Craigslist. It only has 208 hours on the engine and fits my place nicely since I only have one acre and most of it is in trees (pecan orchard). One thing: it has a narrow width and upsets easily if I'm not watching carefully. If your land has side slopes, make sure you have the proper width tires or can add dually tires to the rear to keep from rolling over. I rolled my and was trapped under it. I lucked out and was not hurt too much since the tractor was only at a 45 degree slant. I was trying to clean out the irrigation ditch. If I had a larger unit (35hp) I could have used a backhoe to clean out the irrigation ditch. Be aware of the safety issues when operating a small tractor; it's very easy to get hurt. Good luck with your research. See if any of your neighbors will let you drive their tractor so you can get a better idea of what is needed in your area. Most folks are very helpful.
:shocked: Wow! glade you made out alright. That experience complete with pictures should be required reading for every new member. And a good reminder for us old members. :rolleyes:

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #53  
I don't have any pictures. I was behind my shop and out of sight of anyone. When the tractor hit a large pile of dirt, it rolled onto it's side, my leg slid under the floor and was trapped by the birm of dirt on my East side. I was very lucky! The seatbelt kept me in place and I have learned to watch where the tires go as well as how to keep them on the deck. I have turned the tractor over but I stayed on board that time. The biggest challenge was getting it turned upright. I was inside a large irrigation ditch (20' wide x 8' deep). Again the problem was the tires hit a mound of dirt and I tipped over. The roll bar and seat belt really kept me from getting injured (except for my pride). SCUT's work very well, but you do need to watch out for the pitfalls of Center of Gravity and load COG. Never turn with the FEL in a high lift or you will turn over. I am also careful to ensure the tires are re-inflated to the proper psi since I've come close to tipping over when a tire was underinflated. Safety is the name of the game. Many JD and Kubota tractors are much wider. I like the 35 hp units since they are less likely to turn over. It's like the difference between a Suzuki Samurai and a HUMMER. Wide is better and more stable.

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #55  
I like the 35 hp units since they are less likely to turn over.

40 horse frame size much more stable yet.:thumbsup:
I used my Dads JD 970..33hp at my place before buying my DK, his machine was a little narrow for my liking, my DK is much more stable.

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #56  
Wow! That's one fat-assed Deere! Rolling that would be almost impossible, without going to extreme lengths. Steering with wheel brakes must be equally impressive, if you can wait for the outer wheel to roll all the way around.

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #57  
Wow! That's one fat-assed Deere! Rolling that would be almost impossible, without going to extreme lengths. Steering with wheel brakes must be equally impressive, if you can wait for the outer wheel to roll all the way around.

That was my plan. :D

/ Total Newbies have no clue what size tractor to get? #58  
I don't have any pictures. I was behind my shop and out of sight of anyone. When the tractor hit a large pile of dirt, it rolled onto it's side, my leg slid under the floor and was trapped by the birm of dirt on my East side. I was very lucky! The seatbelt kept me in place and I have learned to watch where the tires go as well as how to keep them on the deck. I have turned the tractor over but I stayed on board that time. The biggest challenge was getting it turned upright. I was inside a large irrigation ditch (20' wide x 8' deep). Again the problem was the tires hit a mound of dirt and I tipped over. The roll bar and seat belt really kept me from getting injured (except for my pride). SCUT's work very well, but you do need to watch out for the pitfalls of Center of Gravity and load COG. Never turn with the FEL in a high lift or you will turn over. I am also careful to ensure the tires are re-inflated to the proper psi since I've come close to tipping over when a tire was underinflated. Safety is the name of the game. Many JD and Kubota tractors are much wider. I like the 35 hp units since they are less likely to turn over. It's like the difference between a Suzuki Samurai and a HUMMER. Wide is better and more stable.

Harry how do you like the dealer in Cruces? Assuming you bought from the one at Motel dr. and Amador.