Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels?

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #1  

Hilbilly

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L6060HSTCC
I've been thinking of getting a skid steer and was wondering what the pros and cons are for one with tracks vs one with wheels. My main uses will be leveling, grading, brush removal and brush cutting in tight areas and on steep slopes, not well suited to tractor use.

I have never used a skidsteer, but think this may be the machine I need. I have a 75 series excavator with a back fill blade and thumb, that I use for roughing in the areas I am opening up but need something that will get into the tight areas around the trees I leave and leveling out the excavator track gouges (made when turning) and on steep side slopes. So I am thinking a skidsteer. My tractor is scary to use on steep slopes, especially cross slopes and where the terrain is full of hidden potholes. So is a skidsteer the machine I really want and if so should I get one with tracks or wheels?

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #2  
Only thing I will say is if you think wheels are hard on the ground, try tracks.....and you don't have to be "working" the area just getting the machine from where you store it to where you want to use it can be rough on the ground.....that said IMHO unless you are working in an area where you have a traction issue of some kind tracks just add to the expense.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #3  
My experience is limited, but here goes: I've got a Bobcat S185 wheeled skid steer. I thought tracks would be a superb idea, so I bought a set of Prowler Stealth tracks. Not a bad product, just not right for my use. They may not have rutted the yard quite as much as wheels, but even trying to make turns gradually they tore up grass quite a bit more than wheels. So I agree with Cherokee140 for the most part. The main uses for me are snow removal and loading 350# rolls of aluminum coil onto a seamless gutter machine. On occasion I do use it out in the yard, hence my experiment with tracks to save wheel ruts. It just didn't work out for me and I sold the tracks.
But if your uses are not in residential yards or grassy areas and are for site work or places that you don't have to worry about marking up, tracks may be the way to go for you. They're definitely better for the floatation aspect. But I suggest that if you buy a tracked machine, go with factory tracks - not over the tire tracks.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #4  
Seems like tracks are taking over around here. I am not sure I would want either one on a steep slope. The center of gravity is a bit high and the base is small.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #5  
I would not buy a skid steer without tracks unless you are using it in a dry climate or on pavement. They are so heavy that they get stuck or won't turn in mud or soft ground. Tracks also smooth out the ride. The add on tracks are not the same as a machine built with tracks and are inferior.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #6  
Tracks also smooth out the ride. The add on tracks are not the same as a machine built with tracks and are inferior.

That was my conclusion also. Over the tire tracks seemed to give me a rougher ride than wheels alone. If I were in the market again, I would at least test drive a factory tracked machine to have a better idea.
But as it is, the skid steer suits my needs much better than the Kubota B3030 cab did. So I'll live with it until the lottery comes in for me.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #7  
Only thing I will say is if you think wheels are hard on the ground, try tracks.....and you don't have to be "working" the area just getting the machine from where you store it to where you want to use it can be rough on the ground.....that said IMHO unless you are working in an area where you have a traction issue of some kind tracks just add to the expense.
Are you saying rubber tracked skid steers are actually harder on ground than wheels? I take it you don't have much experience with skid steers.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #8  
I just sold and 873 Bobcat and here are my experiences. It had a set of steel tracks, but I did not put them on right away, well, I buried it (high centered). After I put the tracks on, it became a different machine (for the better). I was clearing brush, moving dirt, spreading gravel, etc. The only reason i sold it was it is getting time for landscaping and getting ready to sow grass seed and skid steers are rough on finish work. It was a great machine for what I needed. I still miss it and just sold it a month ago!
Just an FYI also, the tires on it were foam filled and the steel tracks didn't seem to effect them near as bad.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #9  
Are you saying rubber tracked skid steers are actually harder on ground than wheels? I take it you don't have much experience with skid steers.

Arlen is correct. You can do three point turns with a CTL all day and do very little damage to the ground compared to a wheeled skid. It's easier on the machine as well. Skid steers...especially those with over-the-tire steel tracks aren't gentle on anything.

One thing to keep in mind is the high cost of maintaining a CTL compared to a SS. That said...a CTL will cling to side slopes your tractor and a SS never dreamed of and out-grade both of them too.

/ Skid Steer - Tracks or Wheels? #10  
I have a Cat 246 that started life as a tire machine. It was plenty capable as a tire machine but I had to learn its limitations. Tire skid loaders do not do well in mud, they can be brutal on turf if you do not know how to turn without stopping one set of wheels, and grading is a art form with tires. About a year or so ago I bought a set of Logering tracks. The tires come completely off and a whole new undercarrage bolts on to the hubs. Doing this totally changed the characteristics of my 246. It also added over 1000 pounds to it. Grading is far easier, stability on slopes is far better, getting stuck is.... What's that ?. Along with the added pushing power. Where tires would spin and dig in to the ground, the tracks just find traction and keep going. If there is a downside, it would be in snow/ice. With tires, I think I got a bit better traction on hills. The tracks tend to slip and once it looses just a bit of traction, it's all over. However, pushing snow up bankings and snow piles is no problem. The floation with tracks makes it easy to blaze through 2 feet of snow like nothing. Tracks on bare asphalt can be a learning experience and hard on them as well. If I had to pick one over the other it would definitely be tracks.