Tractor Sizing How important is rear diff lock on CUT?

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #1  

onelostdogg

Silver Member
Tractor
EX3200
New to tractors. looking for something 25-30HP for plowing snow, working in the woods, moving dirt, etc. 8 acres on north side of a fairly steep ridge. Looking at a Yanmar 424 since dealer is only 5 miles away, but from everything I've read, there is no locker on the rear axle. Is this a deal breaker?

Thanks for your opinions.

John

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #2  
Without it... you can be stuck. I have not used it much but it's darn handy to have to get you out of sticky places.

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT?
That's what I was thinking. When I'm in the woods, my Polaris 700 spends most of it's time in 4WD. Wasn't sure if I could cheat by working myself out with the loader or not? I guess always better to have it and not need it.

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #4  
Do you have good split brakes? And can access them while moving forward? If so, you can do as well by slightly braking the spinning wheel. I use this technique more than the locker most of the time. But it is easy to do with the brakes on the left and hydro pedals on the right.

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT?
I need to check into that. Not sure if the 424 has split brakes or not. Thanks.

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #6  
I just used mine for the first time today , wet lawn , slope , and bare wet clay . Its worth having

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #7  
I have it and use it when going up muddy hills. Even with four wheel drive and front loader. Saves on tearing up the turf.

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #8  
Personally, I wouldn't buy a tractor without a dif lock!

SR

/ How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #9  
   / How important is rear diff lock on CUT? #10  
I need to check into that. Not sure if the 424 has split brakes or not. Thanks.
Having both is best. If you had to do without one it would preferably be the diff lock. Split brakes are more versatile. If it has neither dont buy it.
larry