Buying Advice Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore?

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #1  

campbellrw

Tractor
none
Hi all, I'm just getting started in my own farming venture and recently while looking at new and used equipment I noticed that I don't think I saw any large tractors that were relatively new that were 2wd. Are large 2wd tractors not as cost effective anymore or something? I see older tractors like the JD 4650 or similar sized tractors of other brands that I figured would be great for running discbines, or round baling or whatever else. Did peoples interested in the big 2wd tractors just diminish, or is it possible that a MFWD tractor just opens up more options for the amount of tasks it can perform?

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #2  
Could be folks rather have 4WD really doesn't cost that much more,plus you can do more w/them...better traction,safer etc. etc.

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #3  
I have two 150 hp tractors, a two wheel drive and a mfd drive. Only do field work with them but the mfd is much more productive. Price for mfd tractor was quit a bit higher.

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #4  
If I was buying a new tractor (which aint gonna happen anytime soon) I would seriously consider a 2WD, but then it would mostly be for brush hogging/mowing and road grading.

The operator's manual for my old Mitsubishi says that the 4WD version has 50% greater drawbar pull than the 2WD, for what that's worth.

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #5  
Heavy 2-WD uses a lot more fuel than a lighter 4-WD doing the same work with 4-WD engaged.

Last edited:
   / Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #6  
Big or small - a 2WD tractor would seriously restrict what I can get done on my property and driveway. Its even difficult getting to a few spots on the property this time of year with 4WD. I've just learned to wait for things to dry up - otherwise its BIG STUCK TIME.

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #7  
The guys I know that row crop smaller acreages like mfwa over 2 wheel for better traction (reduced slippage)

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #8  
Can't speak for all of the tractor mfg's but once you get over approx 160 - 180 + hp then a lot of times mfwd is standard and not even an option in many cases today. But many late model 2wd's can be found in the 100-150 hp range, although a fair amount could be open station tractors. And can be concentrated in specific parts of the country as some areas just don't ever sell 2wd machines at all anymore. Good luck

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore? #9  
The advantage of 4wd over a 2wd is that your able to get much farther (into the mudhole) (away from the barn) (from help) before you get stuck.

/ Does no one buy big 2wd tractors new anymore?
The advantage of 4wd over a 2wd is that your able to get much farther (into the mudhole) (away from the barn) (from help) before you get stuck.

Hahah I have that "feature" on my 4x4 truck too :)