Buying Advice Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016?

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #1  

rjolly

Tractor
n/a
I have a couple of tractors in mind and would like to get a sense of their values. The Kubota has more hp (35 vs 28), but is a little smaller. Specs are mostly similar. I'm mostly doing gravel driveway maintenance.

The used Kubota L3400 is a 2009 with 1000 hrs for $14,500 Canadian dollars. Specs: TractorData.com Kubota L3400 tractor information

The new Mahindra 3016 is $19,500 Canadian dollars. Specs: TractorData.com Mahindra 3016 tractor information

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Rick

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #2  
I'am not trying to sway your decision one way or the other . I don't know the $ exchange rate from US to Canadian but can tell you , my 2007 L3400 when bought new cost me $15,300 OTD . Its a DT gear model and came with FEL . Which dealer is closer ? If the Bota seller did not come down any , I'd be leaning towards buying new . This is comeing from a person that bleeds Kubota orange .
If you check out the L3400 have em try the 3 point hitch with a heavy attachment on it. Some came with shaky 3 points well documented all over web. Just my :2cents:

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #3  
I would normally go with the cheaper one... but you need to check out the 3 point hitch of the L3400. Especially if you are grading gravel driveways. They *might* be hard to make minor adjustments, the 3ph will jerk the tractor around. Some units maybe not so bad and it depends... try it out by SLOWLY raising the 3 point hitch with something heavy, like a box blade, on it. Tons of reading, Google... "jerky 3 point hitch" site:tractorbynet.com

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016?
Thanks for the heads up regarding the jerky hitch. There's only 10 minutes difference between dealers. Both tractors have a loader.

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #5  
I have a couple of tractors in mind and would like to get a sense of their values. The Kubota has more hp (35 vs 28), but is a little smaller. Specs are mostly similar. I'm mostly doing gravel driveway maintenance.

The used Kubota L3400 is a 2009 with 1000 hrs for $14,500 Canadian dollars. Specs: TractorData.com Kubota L3400 tractor information

The new Mahindra 3016 is $19,500 Canadian dollars. Specs: TractorData.com Mahindra 3016 tractor information

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Rick

Pluses and minuses to both tractors for sure. But I would go with the 3016, just because of the hitch on the L3400. :eek: With you grading a lot, you don't even want to have to fool with that hitch. :no:

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #6  
"Former" 2010 L3400HST owner here. I traded it and got 14,500 for it. It had as I remember 228 hours on it. and it was "cherry". The 3pt was "jerky" as a piece of Jack Links finest. I had "sasquatches" following me around. :laughing: If you are not interested in box blade grading, then the jerky hitch does not matter. It you want to feather out the load in a box blade, well, it might.

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #7  
"Former" 2010 L3400HST owner here. I traded it and got 14,500 for it. It had as I remember 228 hours on it. and it was "cherry". The 3pt was "jerky" as a piece of Jack Links finest. I had "sasquatches" following me around. :laughing: If you are not interested in box blade grading, then the jerky hitch does not matter. It you want to feather out the load in a box blade, well, it might.

Agree, if box blading is your primary duty, the Kubota with the jerky hitch may not be the right fit. I just bought a new 2014 L3800 HST and I have the dealer coming out tomorrow to try to fix my jerky hitch. There's no possible way you could feather out a box blade when grading. It'll be interesting to see what the dealers says tomorrow and if he's able to fix it.

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #8  
...It'll be interesting to see what the dealers says tomorrow and if he's able to fix it.
True, would be great to see if he fixes it... but be prepared for "you bought an economy tractor, this is the valve you get" and "I've never see or heard of one like this". Ask if the valve from an L3301 could be installed to fix the problem. PS. NEVER, I mean NEVER!!!, say you heard it here or on the internet!!!!

Last edited:
   / Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #9  
My tractor info under my avatar will tell you how I vote :)

/ Buy used Kubota L3400 or new Mahindra 3016? #10