Utility Vehicles?

/ Utility Vehicles? #1  

Roadbuilder6

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall m, Kubota, deere z655
Hey guys, my neighbor is looking to get a utility vehicle and has given the project of finding one to me LOL. Since she has already made that first mistake ;), I want to get her the best possible utility vehicle for the money. I have a 610 Kawasaki, and love it but that is a little too small for her needs. I have driven gators, and loved them but they are out of the price range (she wants to buy new). Have also driven other mules and the kubotas, once again nice machines, but not what she wants. We have been looking at the JCB Workmax 800D, New Holland Rustler 120, and the Honda 700. All look like nice machines, and from the dealerships can get them for the right price about. We have a good JCB dealership and New Holland Dealer which I have dealed with. Our honda dealer is good as well, and I buy parts from them. My issue with the honda is it looks more like a playtoy then a work vehicle. She needs it to work on their trails, move hay, feed etc. Does anyone have any experience with any of these machines? Thanks, John

100_4436.JPG
rustler.jpg
Pioneer700_2014_04.jpg

/ Utility Vehicles? #2  
Hey guys, my neighbor is looking to get a utility vehicle and has given the project of finding one to me LOL. Since she has already made that first mistake ;), I want to get her the best possible utility vehicle for the money. I have a 610 Kawasaki, and love it but that is a little too small for her needs. I have driven gators, and loved them but they are out of the price range (she wants to buy new). Have also driven other mules and the kubotas, once again nice machines, but not what she wants. We have been looking at the JCB Workmax 800D, New Holland Rustler 120, and the Honda 700. All look like nice machines, and from the dealerships can get them for the right price about. We have a good JCB dealership and New Holland Dealer which I have dealed with. Our honda dealer is good as well, and I buy parts from them. My issue with the honda is it looks more like a playtoy then a work vehicle. She needs it to work on their trails, move hay, feed etc. Does anyone have any experience with any of these machines? Thanks, John

View attachment 417447
View attachment 417448
View attachment 417449
i wil tell what i bought a gator for and then found out after owning one.frist was for snow plowing the day after snow when wind blows 30 mph in iowa as it always does.it plows snow better than i would have guessed.got all the bells and equipment on it cab skid plates,doors,lights,dump ,tool carriers,saw carriers and heat.it was also to take hours off my tractor.it is used now more than jd 850 and used as work table wood hauler,run around farm,and to other farms with hay wood and parts.of get the best one she can use .use the dealer 0%financing if you can i did .

/ Utility Vehicles? #3  
Nothing wrong with buying a used UTV...if she is willing to go with a diesel engine, it's more likely she'll get a good work machine rather then a toy. IMHO, work UTVs are less likely to be abused then the gasoline equivalent.
Also, all those neat bells and whistles some folks want don't add much to the price of a used UTV.

As hoho wrote, UTVs do a good job snow plowing too...but like any snow plow in a snow belt area, eventually one does run out of room to put the snow.

/ Utility Vehicles? #4  
Hey guys, my neighbor is looking to get a utility vehicle and has given the project of finding one to me LOL. Since she has already made that first mistake ;), I want to get her the best possible utility vehicle for the money. ---

We have been looking at the JCB Workmax 800D, New Holland Rustler 120, and the Honda 700. All look like nice machines, and from the dealerships can get them for the right price about. We have a good JCB dealership and New Holland Dealer which I have dealed with. Our honda dealer is good as well, and I buy parts from them. My issue with the honda is it looks more like a playtoy then a work vehicle. She needs it to work on their trails, move hay, feed etc. Does anyone have any experience with any of these machines? Thanks, John

rustler.jpg
The Rustler is made for New Holland by Club Car. Let her drive it, she will want it. Only one lever for forward, neutral, reverse. 4WD is automatic, it runs open differential, switches to 4WD if needed, and locks either or both differentials it if needed.

I have experience with the old Bobcat version. First one was gasoline powered, note the aluminum frame showing at the front wheel. Put 163 hours on it, then traded it in on the diesel

PC150008.JPG

Second one was diesel. Put 145 hours on it.

P4040009.JPG

Liked them both! They never got stuck and pulled my TORO out several times. :thumbsup:

/ Utility Vehicles? #5  
She needs it to work on trails, move hay, feed etc. Does anyone have any experience with any of these machines?

I have been highly satisfied with my gas (16-hp) Kubota RTV500 / $10,000. When you buy a Kubota utility vehicle you are buying the HST transmission, which makes the Kubotas WORKING machines. Carefully consider whether other brands can pull a trailer with 1,000 pounds in it. Most of the other brand's transmissions cannot take it.

My bed is always loaded with tools. The all terrain trailer is for cargo.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 511
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 163
   / Utility Vehicles? #6  
Don't own one yet but friends are happiest with Kubotas. For sand, mud or snow they all like 4wd and they all say to stay clear of Chinese makes.. These are work vehicles, not the fastest but well designed. I tried to climb into one make and found that the roll bar combined with bad hips made it impossible.

/ Utility Vehicles? #7  
Carefully consider whether other brands can pull a trailer with 1,000 pounds in it. Most of the other brand's transmissions cannot take it.
Where are you seeing that the other brands transmissions cannot take it ??
Most utv's have a over a 1,000 pound tow rating

/ Utility Vehicles? #8  
My Cub Cadet Volunteer EFI 748cc has a bed capacity of 1000lbs and a tow capacity of 1400lbs. Top speed of low 30s is more than enough to zing across the pastures and have a little fun. It was a little pricey at $10,500 but it is well made and runs great.
Cub Cadet Volunteer 748cc EFI V-Twin 4x4 | UTV Guide

/ Utility Vehicles? #9  
I'm glad this thread is coming up ... I'm shopping for one for my wife. She needs one to help move feed, straw, gardening supplies, and water around. We're looking for a work one, not a "racer." I'd actually like something that I can govern speed on, so that my kids can drive it.

Just started checking on Craigslist. I'm seeing a brand called "Odes" which apparently has something to do with KTM. Anybody heard of them? Seems like a good value. Here's one of the listings.

2014 ODES 800 DOMINATOR PRO UTV ##FREE HD SNOW PLOW- MARCH SPECIAL#

/ Utility Vehicles? #10  
I realize that the OP stated that his wife is not a fan of the RTV's or the Mules, but when I did my homework about a utility vehicle, with much the same criteria, these were the 2 leading choices.

Will