Buying Advice Case 885 Tractor

/ Case 885 Tractor #1  

edkemper

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 210LE, Case 580CK Series B Backhoe, 1991 WoodMizer LT40 Log Mill, 1989 JD450E Crawler Tractor, FordsonMajorDiesel
Can anyone tell me anything about this model?

Case 885 Tractor
With PTO
$1500.00

Attachments

• 00s0s_5QK6ZARsnHQ_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_5QK6ZARsnHQ_600x450.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 152
   / Case 885 Tractor #2  
It's a rebadged David Brown 885; probably about a 1976. I own one. Decent little tractor if everything works. Quirky little bugger to work on, especially the hydraulics. About 42 PTO HP.

Last edited:
   / Case 885 Tractor #3  
You can keep the Case....I will take the Rottie

/ Case 885 Tractor #4  
I too have one and agree with what RickB said except that the ONLY quirky part is the hydraulics, IMHO. My 3pt has been worked on twice and it works but still not right. All the way up or all the way down is all I've got.

If you end up with it I'll be glad to help answer any questions, I've even got a wsm tucked away somewhere.

Dad bought ours in the early 80's, and used it to mow yards on the side (had a Woods belly mount mower) as well as on the farm. I grew up on and around it and was the first tractor I ever drove.

/ Case 885 Tractor
   / Case 885 Tractor
I too have one and agree with what RickB said except that the ONLY quirky part is the hydraulics, IMHO. My 3pt has been worked on twice and it works but still not right. All the way up or all the way down is all I've got.

If you end up with it I'll be glad to help answer any questions, I've even got a wsm tucked away somewhere.

Dad bought ours in the early 80's, and used it to mow yards on the side (had a Woods belly mount mower) as well as on the farm. I grew up on and around it and was the first tractor I ever drove.

I think I'm going to wait for a better choice. It hasn't run in 3 years.

/ Case 885 Tractor #7  

For the money I'd take my chances, but understand completely.

/ Case 885 Tractor
I have land to clear and am starting a house build on the property I need to clear and prep. I really need a less expensive running tractor with a 3 pt hitch.

The one thing I don't need is another project before I start my project.

/ Case 885 Tractor #9  

For the money I'd take my chances, but understand completely.

It's overpriced by at least double if it's a non-runner. I paid $800 for mine, I have about $2200 in it, and I'd be hard pressed to sell it for that. They are an orphan.

/ Case 885 Tractor #10  
David Brown tractors are common in the Finger Lakes grape areas of NY. They were sold by a dealer in Yates county and are still snapped up by farmers in the area. Weekenders don't usually bid on them at auctions making them very affordable. I have had 2 885 DB's and still have a 1968 DB 780, an older version of 885. All were good tractors and my wife, who does a lot of the tractor work, thinks the 780 is the best running tractor on the place. They are not a true orphan tractor since parts can still be had thru a Case dealer. Many parts can be sourced through a good mechanic for far less cost than a dealer.
DB tractors have many grease fittings and actually are fairly easy to work on. They are very economical on fuel. The picture looks pretty rough and I would worry if water got in the tranny and froze. The shifter boots go bad and if it hasn't run in a while I would be careful. Buy it cheap enough and it could be a great little tractor. It hopefully is a diesel. 42 HP, a two stage clutch, 540/1000 rpm pto, 3pt hitch, 12speed tranny, and hopefully power steering. Lot of tractor for the price of a not too fancy lawnmower. I'd give a good look before I wrote it off.