Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors?

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #1  

KiwiBro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7620
Eco this, auto that, etc.
What happened to a simple but bullet-proof tractor that gets the job done and pleads for more work every day?

Yeah, I'm sure your pampered derriére absolutely must have a air-ride, warmed cushion for the extensive 150 hrs you'll put on your 'beast' every year since you 'pulled the trigger', but for those of us willing to 'suffer' in a first-world-problem kinda way for simplicity in a new tractor these days, what are the options, if any?

Thanks.

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #2  
Buy used and overhaul, modern emissions regs mean expensive electronic everything these days as the "old tech" cannot meet the increasingly tighter emissions regs.

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #3  
No I don't need any of this eleltronic ****. And I don't think that the emission laws make much sense. On the old diesels you can see the black smoke and you try not to breath it. The new engines inject with very high pressure and make exaust partikels so small you cant see them. They are so small, they don't stay in your lungs, they go direct in your blood.
Alex

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #4  
Bought an L3800 not that long ago because it was "Relatively" simple.

Problem with old tech is for business use it has been regulated away... put a Mom and Pop excavation contractor out of business... they were in their 60's and had a International Dump and Cat TLB... both bought new and in great owner cared for condition... just couldn't justify the cost to repower so out of State they went and business closed.

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #5  
What happened to a simple but bullet-proof tractor that gets the job done and pleads for more work every day?

Yeah, I'm sure your pampered derriére absolutely must have a air-ride, warmed cushion for the extensive 150 hrs you'll put on your 'beast' every year since you 'pulled the trigger', but for those of us willing to 'suffer' in a first-world-problem kinda way for simplicity in a new tractor these days, what are the options, if any?

Thanks.

Do I need? no. Do I want? Yes.

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #6  
American automakers introduced their version of 'up-selling' in the '50s and other manyfacturers have been jumping on that wagon ever since. Making the product X% bigger or hanging X% more bling onto a vehicle and raising the price accordingly means a similar profit increase on the same number of units sold.

Apples and Oranges? Car-like features are 'trending' in the tractor market these days, and makers can thank Governments for boosting the complexity and 'added value' of their products ("Not about us, we're just doing as we're told.") so that road drivers alone aren't to be tasked with cleaning up the planet. IMO Emission controls are just part of a bigger picture and we're paying for the whole kit.

Don't need 'theater sound', AC, buddy seat, wi-fi hot-spot? "Coming to a dealer near you" anyway, or buy used and patch 'er up to running condition as as suggested. (just DIY the sunroof if you need it) Only put 100-200 hours/yr on your tractor? Doesn't mean you're not hurting the Earth. Simple and efficient cars, trucks, tractors are so 20th Century, and 'me-too'-ism is being thrust upon us, like it or not.

btw, There must be some folks around who only need a here.jpg to show pride in their 'equipment'. :D

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #7  
   / Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #8  

Thanks.

If your requirement is "bullet-proof tractor that gets the job done and pleads for more work every day?"... Then so far my Iseki/Massey sure fits the bill. Granted, I only put 420 hrs on it since last year when I bought it . Been flawless. Of course, only time will tell if she continues to hold up as such, but there certainly are other modern "optioned" tractors that have performed well with high usage.

what makes you bring this up? Have you had some recent issues with one of your machines?

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #9  
Kubota offers SU Special Utility open station tractors that are cheaper and have fewer features than their regular line, other companies may do the same as I've seen some very basic Mahindras.

As others have mentioned, older tractors are available, my brother uses tractors made in the 50s, 60s and 80s along with his new gear drive, simple Kioti. I use only cabs due to health issues, but I think a person can find what they want new or used.

/ Do we really need all the electronic features in new tractors? #10  
As somebody said, we don't need all that stuff, but it sure makes life comfortable. However, I can see people not wanting to pay for something they don't need. Kubota and JD both make basic economy tractors. I think Mahindra can get very basic. Kioti's higher HP tractors are pretty straight forward. Case also has a basic line of big utility tractors. I assume NH and Massey make an economy line, not sure there though. LS actually may not have that, as they are known for a good featured tractors at the same cost as the big name e lines. Then of course you could go all the way and get something like my Farmall H with one way hydraulics, 5 speed non-synchronized tranny, and 2WD with open differential. There are definitely options, but don't rule out electronics just because they're electronics.