Buying Advice CUT sizing advice

/ CUT sizing advice #1  

sbeausol

Tractor
L3240HST
I'm finally really in the market for a CUT and I'd like some advice based on my intended uses. Originally, I was thinking a B series (or comparable) size tractor, in the mid 20s for hp, however, I'm re-thinking it the more I read. Here is the background of my property and what I hope to achieve. I live in Coastal MA on about 2.5 acres. The piece of land is relatively flat, but went un-maintained for years. About 3/4 acre is grass which I mow with a zero turn. The rest is in need of rehab. Years ago, someone must have considered a christmas tree farm. Well, today, I have about 60 spruce tree that are 30-40ft tall and crowding each other quite badly. Those all need to go. Once they go, I need to get the stumps out and grade everything and plant some grass. There is a possibility of adding a pool so the question has come up in my mind if I could at least excavate it with a TLB. There are tons of 1-5" saplings that are in the way. There are lots of flowering bushes that are now large and unwieldy. As most of the US was warm and dry this winter, we froze our butts off and had alot of snow this year. I have a 250' driveway, so snow removal will be on the list as well. Anyway here is the summary of projects in order of priority:

1) Slowly take down the 60 or so spruce trees, grade the land, plant grass, install a swing set, debate the wife about a pool
2) Snow removal - FEL to start, but snowblower might be useful
3) Clean out smaller trees/saplings (<6" most are 3-4")
4) Clean out larger bushes/overgrown stuff
5) Haul out bricks from patio rehab

Key concerns I have - first I have a feeling that what I hope to achieve cannot be done well with one machine, but I'd like input on that. Since I'm going to be moving over finished grass, I'd like to avoid ruining what is in good shape. In terms of snow removal, ideally the solution can handle my walkways (at least most of them). They are straight but not 5' wide which is what had me thinking of something like a B2x20. However, I wonder how much a B2x20 would struggle with the saplings, and the trees. I would cut the trees down and log them into manageable sizes, but what about the stumps? Also, these trees have a ton of small branches, so a tractor would potentially help me pile things and get them set to burn or chip. Since I have a good mower, my only mid PTO need would be for a snow blower, but if the FEL is up to the task, then I could live without one.

Finally, I don't have an unlimited budget. If it's a cash purchase, I won't go much more than $15k. I'm comfortable seeking out a used machine. However, I'm open to leveraging 0% financing etc as well. I've read alot about Kubota's B series. Can that class handle what I hope to do? Is it necessary to move to the L class? In terms of dealers, Kubota and Deere are within an hour, Mahindra a little over an hour, and Kioti is about 1.5 hours away

Input is greatly appreciated!

/ CUT sizing advice #2  
With a $15K budget, I'd look for a used Kubota BX24 and use the backhoe to dig out all the stumps that you'll have to remove. Working by yourself it's going to take months to remove all those tall spruces. So renting a larger TLB probably is not what you would want to do. It's the right size tractor for 2.5 acres.

Good luck

/ CUT sizing advice
Thanks for the reply. I hear you on the 2.5 acres, but I guess the question I have is something larger a better move in the short term to accomplish the tasks at hand, then maybe downsize once everything is done? I worry about the weight and ground clearance of the BX working in the 'woods' hauling logs etc...

/ CUT sizing advice #4  
I have owned a Deere 750, (equivalent to Kubota BX), a Kubota B3300SU tractor-loader package and now have a Kubota L3560 tractor-loader.

Each tractor heavier than the last. With the first two, doing the same work you describe, I regularly lifted 1-2-3 wheels off the ground. When you are lifting wheel(s) it is just a matter of time before you have an accident.

The L3560, weighs 5,400 pounds with only air in the tires. I would search for a used tractor of about 5,400 pounds, including FEL, rather than something lighter. If you go to Kubota's web site and research you will find the the L3560 is hardly any bigger in dimensions than the B series, all the components are just heavier.

I regularly cross my St. Augustine lawn with my tractor, which has R4 tires, and as long as the ground is not puddled the tractor does not mark the turf.

I would hire out the stump removal. Someone with the proper equipment will do it all in one day, SAFELY.

With the stumps gone you can do everything else without the complication and $6,000 expense of a backhoe.

In terms of "larger bushes" I have lifted many overgrown blueberry bushes with a Bucket Spade on my FEL.

A Bucket Spade is $400 rather than $6,000; however you cannot trench with a Bucket Spade.

LINK: Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel

I have about 1,300 hours operating tractors. I still find having the Kubota dealer just six miles from my home a valuable Kubota asset.

Attachments

• DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
   / CUT sizing advice #5  
Welcome to TBN!

I agree with your assessment. I think your initial rehabilitation grounds work & pool digging would be hard work on a BX or B series, and suggests that maybe you consider getting a good TLB or L series tractor with a backhoe. New at 0% or used - your call. Once the grunt work is done, you can sell it for probably not much capital loss. Just don't name it or you won't be able to bring yourself to sell it.

These things don't depreciate the same way consumer cars & trucks do. Especially in the North Eastern states. Get some new equipment prices and then shop lightly used - you'll see what I mean.

Once you're done with the (un-named) tractor, you can sell it and get a new BX or B series with 0% financing, or cash - again, your call.
Since your land is relatively flat and you already have a capable lawn cutting machine, I'd strongly suggest going with a B-Series.

Last edited:
   / CUT sizing advice
I have owned a Deere 750, (equivalent to Kubota BX), a Kubota B3300SU tractor-loader package and now have a Kubota L3560 tractor-loader.

Each tractor heavier than the last. With the first two, doing the same work you describe, I regularly lifted 1-2-3 wheels off the ground. When you are lifting wheel(s) it is just a matter of time before you have an accident.

The L3560, weighs 6,500 pounds with air in the tires. I would search for a used tractor of about 6,500 pounds, including FEL, rather than something lighter. If you go to Kubota's web site and research you will fined the the L3560 is hardly any bigger in dimensions that the B series, all the components are just heavier. I regularly cross my St. Augustine lawn with my tractor, which has R4 tires, and as long as the ground is not puddled the tractor does not mark the turf.

I would hire out the stump removal. Someone with the proper equipment will do it all in one day, SAFELY.

With the stumps gone you can do everything else without the complication and $6,000 expense of a backhoe.

In terms of "larger bushes" I have lifted many overgrown blueberry bushes with a Bucket Spade on my FEL.

A Bucket Spade is $400 rather than $6,000; however you cannot trench with a Bucket Spade.

LINK: Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel

I have about 1,300 hours operating tractors. I still find having the Kubota dealer just six miles from my home a valuable Kubota asset.

Well, I took your advice, and it is interesting...
Model, length (in), width (in), weight (lbs)
B2601 95, 49, 1632
L32/800 106, 55, 2600
L3560 115, 59, 3500

Sounds like what I'm hearing is that weight is much more of a factor than HP in the applications I'm interested in. Also, from you pictures, are you actually digging with that bucket spade?

/ CUT sizing advice #7  
1) Yep

2) Yep

I used Bucket Spade for 400 hours on B3300SU bucket, which is the standard 'B' bucket. However, it is better on optional L2296 Round-Back Heavy-Duty bucket available on 'L' series. L2296 comes with highly desirable SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) feature.

From Kubota L3560/LA805 Operator's Manuals:

HST Tractor------------------------3,649 pounds (with Ag tires)

R4 Industrial Tires-------------------- 75 pounds

LA805 Loader----------------------1,279 pounds

L2296 72" Round Back HD Bucket--397 pounds

TOTAL-------------------------------5,400 pounds

$27,500 paid with optional Draft Control. No sales tax in Florida on ag equipment.

This is a dream machine.

Operating Bucket Spade Threads:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/328798-bucket-spade-today-fel-bucket.html?highlight=

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...da-planting-sand-pears-kubota.html?highlight=

Note BABY GRAND's Randall Brown quotation at the foot of his Post #5.

Last edited: