advice for buying a new tractor (long)

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #1  

macdad

Hello,

Great site! I followed a link here from countrybynet.com.

This fall I will need to purchase a tractor for a 60 acre property (currently 40 ac. in CRP and 20 in timber) that we are going to build a house on. Here are the main jobs I see the tractor doing now:

1. Plowing a driveway that will end up being in the 1600 to 2000 ft. range. It will rise 250 or so feet from a paved county road. It will be a gravel drive that is 14 ft. wide. Location is N. Idaho and there is typically 0-3 snowstorms in the 8-12 inch+ range and lot more days of 2-4 inch accumulations. It will often warm up periodically so snow on the ground is rarely more than 18" and will even melt off completely at times. I think I've decided on the FEL/rear blade setup after reading other posts on this subject, as both of those implements will be useful otherwise. I've considered buying a plow for my F-350 but really don't want to subject the frame to that much stress year after year. Besides, I'll need a tractor anyway.

2. We will burn roughly 5 cords of firewood yearly and cut/split/stack it all ourselves. Some of the wood will come from the property itself, so the tractor would be used for transporting cut wood and occasionally skidding smaller logs. Fairly hilly property...

3. Spraying weeds to keep the CRP land in compliance (govt. requires nox. weeds be kept down).

4. Occasional use of rental/borrowed fence post driver for fence maintenance.

5. Not sure what we'll be doing with the 40 acres when the CRP contract is up -- probably combo. of small amt. of pasture and reforestation for the rest.

By the way, the lawn will be small enough to continue with my push mower.

I've looked at what's available and thought a NH TC30 fit our needs pretty well. I want a gear transmission and don't need anything fancy, just reliable. I've operated tractors, balers, swathers, etc. but never paid attention to specs on those machines as a kid.

I'd like to keep the initial purchase (tractor and FEL) in the 15k range. Is this more tractor than I need (TC30)? I would love to hear everyone's input. Also, I came across the NH TT55. It seems it is price comparable to much smaller (albeit 4x4) CUTs. It seems like it's extra weight would make up for lack of 4x4. Then I could use a bigger blade...

I'll consider any brand I can easily get parts for, as well as newer used tractors.

Thanks for any input!

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #2  
A friend of mine just bought a 43 hp Kubota for his 20 acres that he's clearing and building a house on.

You might want to try putting screws into the lugs and definitely getting R-1 or R-4 tires for that driveway. See the post about $13 and 1 hour spent under (I think) the next header (owning/etc) for all about use of bolts screws in lugs in place of chains.

I'd check the price of a plow that would go on where the FEL is. Probably wouldn't be much difference and be easier to push the snow aside on that long driveway. The FEL will be great for clearing out snow in turnaround areas.

Ralph

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #3  
Welcome to TBN!

It sounds to me like the TC30 would be a good choice for your needs. You will be surprised how much power a 30 Hp 4WD tractor has. Maneuverability, particularly in the woods, may be an issue with the larger tractor. and I think you would be happier with 4WD in snow and doing FEL work.

Don't discount the HST until you have actually driven one. I have had both, and won't willingly go back to a gear tractor for my uses. HST is not the same as an automatic transmission in a pickup or car. They have a lot of braking power when traveling downhill and you can ease into the power without slipping a clutch.

The last time I priced a TC30, the HST version with FEL was about $15,500 - gear would be probably $1000 less (or more). You might consider a 4-in-1 bucket, which would add about $1200 - $1500 to the price, but really increases the usefulness of a FEL. It will open up to a dozer blade (no angle adjustment, though), and you can pick things up with it. I pick up short (8-16 ft) logs with mine to move them or to raise them up so someone operating the chainsaw doesn't have to bend over too far and get the chain down into the dirt. Really handy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Good luck. Shopping is part of the fun. You can't go wrong with any of the big 3 (NH, Kubota, JD) or several of the lesser known brands, like Kioti, Mahindra, Branson, etc. if you have a good dealer you can trust within a reasonable distance.

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #4  
With how Kioti is growing, before to long I wouldn't be surprised to hear the Big 3 become the Big 4. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #5  
( With how Kioti is growing, before to long I wouldn't be surprised to hear the Big 3 become the Big 4. )

Well, I guess Kioti is just about there, considering that it's getting it's own forum section here on TBN just like JD, NH, and Kubota!

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #6  
Cool! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #7  
macdad,

I understand that the $$$ is an issue, but I think you would be better off with a little larger tractor for the work your doing, not that the 30hp won't do it, but it would be nice to be in the class 3 CUT for some of that work.

Good luck and keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #8  
I will second the idea of a larger tractor. I initially purchased a TC40D for my orginal 40 acre tract and soon after felt like I should have jumped to (at least) the TC45. With 60 acres I would definitely look for something a bit larger than the TC30. JMHO, though.

/ advice for buying a new tractor (long) #9  
1ST OF ALL WELCOME TO THE FORUM! the tc30 will do what u want but i would suggest a little larger. also i love hydro. i know it is easy for us to spend your $$$$ but mabey a few$$$$ more now will save u in the long run.