Buying Advice First Tractor

/ First Tractor #1  

WHarris

Tractor
Ford
I just purchased some property and I'm looking to buy my first tractor. From reading reviews on here and wanting to keep my purchase price to under $5k, I've narrowed my search to a few tractors. I'll mostly be using the tractor to bush hog and maintain a dirt/gravel driveway. I may need to plow some in future too. So far, I've found a few tractors that seem to fit my needs and are reasonably priced. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. The first one I'm looking at is a Ford 841n (Diesel) that looks to be in very good condition and everything works on it. I can get it for $2500. I've also found a few Ford 8n and one 601 for around the same price that all seem to be in good working order. The 601 and two of the 8n's are from a guy who restores tractors for a living and they look very good. I've also found a Kubota 175 for that same price with 700hrs on it and Ford 1715 for $3500 that looks to be in very good condition. Thanks for any pros/cons I need to consider or advice. I am fairly mechanically inclined and can do most general vehicle maintenance type jobs, so I'm afraid to buy a tractor that may need maintenance.

/ First Tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN!

You have a pretty broad range of machines there....from 17hp up to 56, so it's not really a direct comparison. For me, the 841 or 601s would be the first choice. Picking which of those two would depend on which version of 601 it is, and comparing what condition they are in. The only downside to the 841 is that it doesn't have a live PTO (meaning the clutch has to be out for the PTO to turn). That can be a pain when you're cutting grass or brush hogging....any time you have to stop, change direction, etc and push the clutch in, it stops powering the PTO.

The big thing to check is which version of 601 you're looking at. I would stay away from any of the versions that have the Select-O-Speed transmission...they are very expensive, and hard to fix if broken. You can tell those by the shifter mounted below the steering wheel rather than a lever coming out of the transmission case.

I'd also put the 8Ns last...they're fun machines, and I loved mine, but they're limited....PTO off the transmission and non-live hydraulics make them less than ideal.

/ First Tractor
Welcome to TBN!

You have a pretty broad range of machines there....from 17hp up to 56, so it's not really a direct comparison. For me, the 841 or 601s would be the first choice. Picking which of those two would depend on which version of 601 it is, and comparing what condition they are in. The only downside to the 841 is that it doesn't have a live PTO (meaning the clutch has to be out for the PTO to turn). That can be a pain when you're cutting grass or brush hogging....any time you have to stop, change direction, etc and push the clutch in, it stops powering the PTO.

The big thing to check is which version of 601 you're looking at. I would stay away from any of the versions that have the Select-O-Speed transmission...they are very expensive, and hard to fix if broken. You can tell those by the shifter mounted below the steering wheel rather than a lever coming out of the transmission case.

I'd also put the 8Ns last...they're fun machines, and I loved mine, but they're limited....PTO off the transmission and non-live hydraulics make them less than ideal.

Thanks for the info. The 601 does have the shifter coming out of the transmission. The Ford 1715 and the Kubota seem to be in the best condition. I think the 1715 is a 96-98 model and is $3500 is for just the tractor. It's a 27hp diesel, so I'm guessing it would do everything I need. The Kubota is $2800 and comes with a finishing mower and box blade for that price. It seems like a good deal, but I'm not sure if a 17hp tractor would have enough power?

/ First Tractor #5  
17 hp is low when you could get more done with more HP. If you like machinery- go bigger. Your wife may appreciate the smallest tractor. Good luck!

/ First Tractor #6  
The Kubota is almost a 40 year old tractor? My first tractor was a 19hp, 1987 Kubota B8200, which worked fine with a loader and rear blade, occasionally a post hole digger... slow, and with gear drive, not great for back and forth loader work, but it would get the job done. I had no issues with the mechanical aspects of the tractor, but it had only 500 hours when I got it. Today, it would be too primitive for me to like using it. Too small/underpowered, as well. Good luck in finding something that works for you!