Buying Advice First Tractor - Which way to go?

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #1  

mason156

Tractor
Kubota L4600
I am a nubie looking at whether it is time for a "first-time" tractor. I know very little about "farming" per se, but have been here and running our operation "tractorless" for 15 years, so I definitely have a good sense of the kind of things I need to do.

I live on a ~100 acres of hilly land in Northeastern CT. ~15 acres of the property are fields which (for the time being) are hayed by a farmer down the street. The rest is woods with a few crude path/roads running through it. We heat with wood, get a bunch of snow, want to garden on a "fairly grand" scale, and would like to move lots of heavy things like rocks, abandoned equipment left in the woods, etc. We currently use a walk-behind brushmower, and would love it if that could become a thing of the past - particularly if we could fight back the multiflora rose and autumn olive that encroach on the fields if not held in check. In the ideal world, we could also use it to mow the lawn, but I am concerned that a tractor that is "delicate" enough for the lawn is not going to fare well in the woods. On the flip side, a monsterous tractor will not do well in our woods. Its wet, rocky, and uneven.

To date we have used a beat-up farm truck to do most of these jobs. It's not pretty, but it has been OK and remarkably cheap. With the kids getting older, we have less time to mess with this. A little speed would go a long way to making things easier.

A problem is that I can't spend $20k-$30k on tractor right now. We'll probably have that kind of money to spend on a tractor someday, but it isn't now and not likely to be in the next 10 years. We have the house, and the kids, and other stuff. I could probably spend $10k-$20k, but would rather be <$15k. I don't know that that tractor exists. (I like to think I am somewhat realistic)

On the new/used argument, I am reasonably good at fixing things, but I don't need another "project." I have a house that is one of those.

Options that have been suggested to me are;

1. Buy a smaller new tractor, have the farmer do the heavy lifting for now, buy a bigger tractor later
2. Buy a bigger used tractor now.
3. Wait and buy a bigger new tractor when you have the money
4. Get an old 2WD tractor as an "intro machine"
5. Hire out the work to locals with machines of their own.

I would appreciate any insight people could offer on these approaches or maybe even one I have not listed. I would like to get started - more importantly my wife would like to get started, so I could benefit from making a decision on this soon.

Thanks,

Steve

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #2  
If it were me with the tasks you have described, I'd want a low hour 30-40 HP 4 wheel drive with FEL. That would give you a really useable tractor year round for the least money.

If you keep hiring things out it will be money cast to the wind. Whereas, anything you spend on your own equipment is beginning to pay for itself every time you have some small task you want accomplished. At least that's the way it feels to me.

Good luck on your search. That in itself can be fun.

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #3  
Don't get too bogged down in the details.

Almost any tractor is better than no tractor.

Good luck.

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #4  
There are not many 2-WD tractors sold new, so there are few available used. Absolutely useless on hills. Unsafe on hills as you only have braking on the rear wheels, when weight shifts forward as you go downhill you have close to ZERO braking.

Option #2 is "Buy a bigger used tractor now." I would amend to: Commence looking at used tractors immediately, lest a bargain be missed.

Personally, I like to shop eBay, where you can set up a search restricted to a distance from your home, with e-mail notification of new listings only in your search area. Minimal amount of your time, many sellers who need money NOW. Federal Income Taxes are due in five days…….

(There are 534 tractors for sale on eBay at this moment.)

Consider a Bucket Spade. LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/328798-bucket-spade-today-fel-bucket.html

Post #2 by AGINN is also my view.

Last edited:
   / First Tractor - Which way to go? #5  
Good advice above. As AGINN said 30-40 hp. I would want FWA and a loader. Mine is 30 years old but I have never had an issue with it. There are lots of older tractors that have been well taken care of. They are not as fancy as some of the newer ones but they will start and run every day for years without an issue. Some people just like to have new tractors and others can benefit from their wants. Low hours - under 2000 but you can probably get a lot lower than that. One thing a lot of people forget is that this entire country was farmed with 30-40 hp tractors in the 40's and 50's - a tractor of that size will do a lot of work. For instance I can haul over a ton on the 3 pt (great for getting firewood up to the house), I run a 5' Bush Hog mower, a 7' sickle bar mower, 6' back blade, 5' box blade, along with various rakes, trailers and other implements. And mine is rated at 28 engine hp.

As Boblibido said - almost any tractor is better than no tractor but the only thing I would change on mine is having a little faster hydraulic pump. The only thing I have not been able to do around here is lift some old farm machinery onto a truck for scrapping. I have skidded 30" hardwood logs 30' long many times. Find a good used tractor and enjoy it for many years. You will never know how you lived without it.

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #6  
I would look at a Deere 2320-2720 series tractor. I had a 2320 for 3 years, and restored a house and property mainly with that and a mini hoe. Fantastic tractor, tons of power, very safe, and not too big. If you do buy one, get a set of artillian pallet forks. Made in MA. When using a smaller tractor, you need to factor in the weight of the pallet forks, and the artillians are very light, and have a lot of strength.

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #7  
You can absolutely buy a tractor that will meet many of your needs for less than $15,000. A used Kubota B series or small L series (or any other reputable brand) with a FEL can be had for $15,000 or less. Now, you're not going to lift 2,000 pound logs with the FEL on one of them, but you can drag good size logs out and cut them up into smaller chunks.

Compared to not having a tractor at all, you will think you've died and gone to heaven with a small tractor (even with the inherent limitations of a small tractor). And if you buy used, you can use it for a few years and trade up to something bigger without taking a beating.

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #8  
My advice is...if you don't absolutely have to have a tractor like yesterday...and you are not opposed to a used machine...just keep watching/shopping...the right deal will come along if you are ready when it comes...
Also, the more tractors you look at the more it gives you a better feel for values in your market area...

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #9  
Added to the good advice above, any NEW tractor you get for $15k or less is going to be too small.

Diesel tractors (the only way to go) that are reasonably well cared for and haven't been used for heavy tillage on a large farm will last a long, LONG time. Lot of "gentleman farmer" or estate/large homeowner stuff out there that will have been gently used, kept inside and well cared for. Just have to look.

Do consider brands that have local dealer support.

/ First Tractor - Which way to go? #10  
Your first basic machine should be; diesel,3,000lbs,4WD,power steering,Front End Loader(FEL),independent PTO.
Lots out there in your price range.Check with all your local dealers(also check out the dealers themselves).
Look and see what brands are popular in your area.Plan on using a lawnmower for the grass.