Dozer buying help please

/ Dozer buying help please #1  

josephny

Silver Member
Hi,

I'm ready to buy my first dozer and I think the D4G would be exactly what I need.

I found one used online, far away (so I can't check it out in person, which, given my level of expertise would not make any difference anyway).

I was hoping people more experienced than me (which is every one of you) could look at these pics and tell me if they see anything troubling/worrisome/imminently problematic?

Thank you,

Joe

/ Dozer buying help please #2  
Does not look like your photos are attached to your posting.

/ Dozer buying help please
Photos attached

IMG_6591.JPGIMG_6592.JPGIMG_6593.JPGIMG_6594.JPGIMG_6595.JPGIMG_6596.JPGIMG_6597.JPGIMG_6598.JPGIMG_6599.JPG

And moreIMG_6601.JPGIMG_6600.JPGIMG_6602.JPGIMG_6603.JPGIMG_6604.JPGIMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6607.jpgIMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6609.jpgIMG_6610.jpg

/ Dozer buying help please #7  
Hi,

I'm ready to buy my first dozer and I think the D4G would be exactly what I need.

I found one used online, far away (so I can't check it out in person, which, given my level of expertise would not make any difference anyway).

I was hoping people more experienced than me (which is every one of you) could look at these pics and tell me if they see anything troubling/worrisome/imminently problematic?

Thank you,

Joe

Undercarriage is the first thing to check over well. The rollers and tracks look good in the pics, but need to look at the pins, sockets, idlers, and rollers closer. Another thing to check is the C frame supporting the blade for cracks, wear, loose parts, etc. Overall, pics seem to show a good machine, but I would recommend getting a mechanic or CAT tech to check it out for you.

/ Dozer buying help please #8  
Yea id grab mechanic and see if they will look at it for ya. undercarriage is very important to look over.

/ Dozer buying help please #9  
Nice looking machine. As others have said check the undercarriage (tracks and components). Also check hydraulic cylinders for leaks. C-frame for cracks and welds. Look for broken bolts where the tracks bolt to frame.

From the pictures I would guess a 60% + undercarriage but without seeing in person it's hard to say for sure. Get someone to check it out.

I see two things in the pictures. One is a maintenance issue and the other is a personal preference.
1. The tracks look loose. They can be tightened check manual for proper sag and procedure.
2. I like full rock guards. It's the strips of metal at the bottom of the tracks. Helps reduce the risk of a de-track by keeping debris out. (Covers bottom rollers).

One way to test the hydraulic system is to run it and warm it up. Lift the blade all the way up then step out and talk to the guy with it running the blade should hold. This will show internal leaks.

/ Dozer buying help please #10  
Some odd mods to the blade. Any idea what that cat was used for?
And for sure hire a cat mechanic to give it a once over, it could prove to be your wisest move and a potential big money saver.
From the pics if it is in as good a condition as they show you may just have a winner.