Buying Advice 57 mixed acreage

/ 57 mixed acreage #31  
Thanks for the info! I was really looking forward to having a newer model tractor with hydro tranny and some of the other nice features, but I will take your advice for sure and see how the old ford does.

Well it obviously worked well for him. But I totally understand your desire for a second smaller tractor. Having a year or so under your belt should allow you to better understand your needs and more time to come across the right tractor/deal.

/ 57 mixed acreage #32  
Sounds like you made a great deal. Congrats on the new tractor and all the equipment.

/ 57 mixed acreage
Kinda second guessing myself on the tractor..... It has a pretty bad power steering leak (which previous owner just kept a lot of Hyd fluid on hand to remedy) and the three point seems to bleed pretty bad too. Hoping these won't be too difficult to fix.

/ 57 mixed acreage #34  
Kinda second guessing myself on the tractor..... It has a pretty bad power steering leak (which previous owner just kept a lot of Hyd fluid on hand to remedy) and the three point seems to bleed pretty bad too. Hoping these won't be too difficult to fix.

I would start a new thread for those issues. 3 point leaking down should be some couple dollar seals. Power steering maybe as well. There's a lot of older ford guys around, and they seem to be plenty of after market parts as well as maybe still for dealer.

/ 57 mixed acreage #35  

In Michigan what your deal what you got is a steal so I would try to fix a tractor little my personal opinion you would pay that much just for equipment for what I've priced out and four wheeler is worth of Grand in Michigan

/ 57 mixed acreage #36  

In Michigan what your deal what you got is a steal so I would try to fix a tractor little my personal opinion you would pay that much just for equipment for what I've priced out and four wheeler is worth a Grand in Michigan

/ 57 mixed acreage
A few updates on the acreage.... The old farmer had tons and tons of junk. I'm on my second dumpster trying to rid just the barn and storage sheds of crap. He also thought plumbers putty was the fix all for all things plumbing. While pulling carpet and the vinyl flooring in kitchen, I found mold because he has had previous leaks that he didn't take care of properly. But, the good news is, no matter how bad a day I have trying to right his wrongs, I can ride the Rhino down to the pond and catch a big old bass! Makes it all worth while!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

/ 57 mixed acreage #38  
Enjoy. Sweet deal on the equipment and on the property in general. When we moved into a similar situation 36 years ago we made 33 trips to the landfill with junk left behind.
Those older Fords can often go forever with few problems; yours sound like a few seals need replacing which is a lot less costly than upgrading to newer stuff, but I think in a while you're going to know just what will work for your needs.
I love your woods; looks like many years of reduced heat bills, and possibly a little timber.
I'm going to be in a situation similar to your seller's in a few years ( hopefully with the same wife ) and I constantly wonder about the next owners of this place. Sure they're going to snicker about some of the a** backwards things I've done over the years, but it would be worthwhile to have me consult on this place. I know things like which wells are good, and which ones stink; or which fields or roads can do what and when. I could share a lot of things I've learned the hard way to prevent them from making some costly mistakes but they still have to and no doubt will make some of their own errors.
We never really own land, we're merely stewards for the next generation.