Buying Advice 57 mixed acreage

/ 57 mixed acreage #1  

SouthernSooner

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45 HSE
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI just bought 57 acres with apprx. 23 to 25 that will need mowed, to include mowing around five ponds. I'll need to be able to do other projects on the property as well. If you had $15k ONLY to start off with in regards to tractor/implements, what should be the first choice? I'm thinking just a cheap old 50 to 60 HP tractor and six foot brush hog. Then later when I have more money get a utility tractor with FEL and backhoe. Thoughts?

/ 57 mixed acreage
Here is another pic. It's the driveway that is about 200 yards long and in bad shape. image.jpg

/ 57 mixed acreage #3  
Most important thing in buying used older iron is condition and tires. Usually you can buy higher HP at a lower cost. Here is a local add that demonstrates the softer maket here for higher HP tractors.
white 2-105 tractor and bushog

/ 57 mixed acreage #4  
I'd get a used

8x6SAM_0797.jpg

Kubota M4700 (w/ dual remotes) for $12K a used Bushhog for <$1K and try to figure out what to buy with the other $2K.

Oh wait, I already did that!

/edit - M4700 is 50HP.

/ 57 mixed acreage #5  
That is a beautiful chunk of ground. :thumbsup: Yes an older large tractor that some retiring farmer is done with is probably your best bet. But if your risk adverse you could buy a new open station 4wd tractor with rotary cutter for about $30.000 at zero percent interest. Put $5000 down on it and the payments would be about 417 a month for 60 months. The $10K you didn't spend now would last through the first two years of payments.

/ 57 mixed acreage #6  
With all those pond edges to mow be real careful what you purchase.I would look at some sort of off-set mower regards of what tractor you purchase.Maybe something like the towns use for road-side ditches.

/ 57 mixed acreage
With all those pond edges to mow be real careful what you purchase.I would look at some sort of off-set mower regards of what tractor you purchase.Maybe something like the towns use for road-side ditches.

Thanks. As for now, I am only concerned with keeping the banks mowed on the pond just behind the house. Thought about using my ATV and buying an offset pull-behind mower for the pond and fence rows.

I'm eventually going to need a grapple bucket since there is so much wood debris and limbs on the lower acreage that is semi cleared.

Wish I had the money to get everything I need now. Lol.

/ 57 mixed acreage
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I've come to the conclusion that there will not be a "one size fits all" tractor. This is perfectly okay, but will just take a bit longer to acquire what I need to maintain the property properly.

/ 57 mixed acreage #9  
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I've come to the conclusion that there will not be a "one size fits all" tractor. This is perfectly okay, but will just take a bit longer to acquire what I need to maintain the property properly.

You've come to the right conclusion, two is about right and three is great. Some of our tractors were made in the 50's, but get regular use while the newer ones are needed for something else.

/ 57 mixed acreage #10  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun.:thumbsup:

You can buy a new 6-ft brush hog for $1200. Used for half that price.

For $13.5K you have a lot of options for used 50-60 hp tractors depending on how comfortable you are maintaining and repairing old tractors.

I would start by checking out local tractor dealers to see what's in their used inventories.

Also check Craigslist. I bought 6 old tractors off CL over a 10 year span ranging from a 10 hp 1948 Farmall Cub gasser ($1100) to a 45 hp 1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel ($3600).

Good luck.