Buying through tractorhouse unseen...?

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #1  

kirkmcquest

Tractor
JD
Hello all. I'm in the market for a tractor and have been shopping around locally for about a year. Up here, there seems to just be a VERY limited tractor market. The only used tractors I've seen are 40 year old models with 7000+hrs on them and the owners want 15k. I'm running out of time. I've been looking on tractorhouse and have seen some good deals through dealers listed there mostly in the midwest. I hate buying anything so expensive without seeing it run. But it seems to be that or I buy an old warhorse for top dollar ( also a big risk ) OR I buy new which will definitely set me back.

Has anybody ever bought through TH? Any advice/criticism/opinions?

Thanks

Kirk

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #2  
Personally, I would never buy without looking. Shipping charges always add to the cost. My advise is craigslist, search tempest, and patience. Lots of patience. I needed some tires for an older tractor here and waited until a local had a new set at a great price. Gonna go get them today. Saved a lot.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...?
I hear ya. I was patient for a year but now I need a tractor for haying 40 acres this summer. I cant afford to wait much longer as the first cut should be in about 8 weeks.

Even with the shipping, the prices here are about 5k higher. More importantly there just isnt much available.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #4  
I would certainly get someone local to the tractor to take a look at it for you. Although I have never done it I know a few people who have bought through tractorhouse and it has been fine but I think it more depends on the seller as tractorhouse makes no representations. You can also look on fastline and ritchie brothers auctions.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #5  
I purchased my 1660 through tractorhouse, sight unseen. I had a very good dealer and the transaction was very smooth. He shipped the tractor 1200 miles and I still saved 2500$ over local (100 miles away) price.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #6  
Best way to take advantage of somebody is to sell them something without them seeing it. The other way is to find somebody who is in a rush to get it. Both add up to a good way to lose a lot of money.

Why can't you hire the haying out this year? I've never understood how anybody can make money on hay after buying their own equipment. Seems like just running the stuff costs what you get out of it.

I also think you need to spend some time on the road and do some more searching. This is the worse time of the year for buying since people have their tax return money to spend, and spring is when everyone wants to get out there on a tractor. But there is always something out there to look at.

No way I would buy without inspecting it. Even at an auction, I'm going to inspect the heck out of it, start it up, run through the controls to see what's working and what's a problem. What are you going to do if you get it home and you find out it only has one gear that works? or that somebody sealed off a cylinder or two to hide the fact that the piston's wasted? or the brakes are no good, or the hydraulic pump is toast? There are so many things that a seller can do to hide a problem with paint, or just kind of forget to mention it that the only way to know what you are getting it to go look for yourself. What do those parts cost to replace and can you get them?

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...?
Best way to take advantage of somebody is to sell them something without them seeing it. The other way is to find somebody who is in a rush to get it. Both add up to a good way to lose a lot of money.

Why can't you hire the haying out this year? I've never understood how anybody can make money on hay after buying their own equipment. Seems like just running the stuff costs what you get out of it.

I also think you need to spend some time on the road and do some more searching. This is the worse time of the year for buying since people have their tax return money to spend, and spring is when everyone wants to get out there on a tractor. But there is always something out there to look at.

No way I would buy without inspecting it. Even at an auction, I'm going to inspect the heck out of it, start it up, run through the controls to see what's working and what's a problem. What are you going to do if you get it home and you find out it only has one gear that works? or that somebody sealed off a cylinder or two to hide the fact that the piston's wasted? or the brakes are no good, or the hydraulic pump is toast? There are so many things that a seller can do to hide a problem with paint, or just kind of forget to mention it that the only way to know what you are getting it to go look for yourself. What do those parts cost to replace and can you get them?

Good luck,
Eddie

Can't get anybody to hay it. I've been though this before, its always best to do it yourself. How you make money with hay? The cost of the equipment is not the cost of making hay. The equipment is a capital investment which holds value, redeemed when you sell it. The true cost of making hay is the fuel, maintenance, and depreciation on equipment....not equipment cost. Basically, I can keep my money in the bank where it will earn .05% interest and slowly lose value through inflation... Or I could put it into equipment to produce something of value...and still have the value of the equipment.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #8  
I guess it depends on what size tractor and what price range are you looking for. There's 3 dealers within 100 miles of me that have a lot of used tractors from 20HP up to 260HP.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #9  
Hey Mr. Kirk- on the adjacent "owning and operating" thread, a guy is lamenting his troubles in selling what sounds like a jewel of a used Kubota... He's in Pa., which means you drive down on Sat. with a trailer and come home on Sunday. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/335811-do-we-baby-our-tractors.html
If the link doesn't work, the poster is namesray. If his is too small for you, (I'm thinking it might be for haying!) try using searchtempest.com to track down something. Buying unseen is a sure fire way to disappoint yourself. Or, check out Barlow's in KY- lots of posters here on TbN seem to love them, and they deliver to the NE for reasonable costs, it would seem.
Good Luck!

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #10  
A farmer friend of mine here in Ontario was spending the winter in Florida. He had been looking for a particular tractor, then saw one on Tractorhouse while in Florida, the tractor was in Wyoming. He said his local farmers co-op has connections through-out the states, and arranged for a nearby farmer in Wyoming to check it out. He bought it, had it shipped, it was in his shop before he himself got home from Florida.

So far he's happy with his purchase.

Pete