Telehandler or Skid Loader?

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #1  

PROFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
International 444, Yanmar YM169d, Cub Cadet
Hi guys
I been looking into buying a used loader of some sort for general use around the farm. Have decided i would like either a skid loader or smaller telehandler. Would be used out in the field for loading and stacking round bales. Would also be used for loading manure spreader and lifting bags of fertiliser to put into spreader. Had thought about buying a loader tractor but having already got an old one, which doesn't have my required lifting capacity, and it being so awkward to **** forward - reverse all the time, i decided i ought to go for the telehandler or skid loader. Someone up the road has got an old JCB tele handler which is in good condition and has a good price on it. have heard mixed comments about skid loaders, heard that the are no good in fields and are only any good on dry, flat, level ground?
Anyones thoughts would be appreciated :)

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #2  
I would vote for the T/H for your described tasks. SS's are not as bad as you describe, but lack in the lifting height required for some of your needs.

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #3  
Will you be in fields that are wet/soft? Skid steer with wheels make mud and bog easily. Track type are better at handling mud.

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader?
Will you be in fields that are wet/soft? Skid steer with wheels make mud and bog easily. Track type are better at handling mud.

Most of the fields should be dry but there are wet patches by the gates. Had thought track loader but they aren't around used here and I don't have the money for new :(

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #5  
See if the person up the road will bring the telehandler down to your place and see if it can do what you need it to do.

Skid steers in fields tend to make quit the mess and tire ruts.

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #6  
Life is too short. Get both!

They are totally different animals. A TH is nicer to drive (quiter) and get in and out of, not that it addresses which machine is better suited for your tasks.

You can usually get yourself unstuck with the TH. In general I would just say a TH is a more sophisticated machine.

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #7  
Hi guys
I been looking into buying a used loader of some sort for general use around the farm. Have decided i would like either a skid loader or smaller telehandler. Would be used out in the field for loading and stacking round bales. Would also be used for loading manure spreader and lifting bags of fertiliser to put into spreader. Had thought about buying a loader tractor but having already got an old one, which doesn't have my required lifting capacity, and it being so awkward to **** forward - reverse all the time, i decided i ought to go for the telehandler or skid loader. Someone up the road has got an old JCB tele handler which is in good condition and has a good price on it. have heard mixed comments about skid loaders, heard that the are no good in fields and are only any good on dry, flat, level ground?
Anyones thoughts would be appreciated :)
If you had seen any of my posts about what a compact telehandler can do, you would have already bought the JCB! :D

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...307243-skid-steer-vs-tractor.html#post3713441

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...t/160568-compact-telehandler.html#post3243370

PA090011.JPG

P9290024.JPG

PC160016.JPG

P3200012.JPG

/ Telehandler or Skid Loader? #8  
Have you ruled out a fullsize Backhoe, like a Case 580 sized machine? Lots of lift capacity and height.

Have you ruled out a fullsize Backhoe, like a Case 580 sized machine? Lots of lift capacity and height.

hadnt really thought of one but i think it'd be too big. also i'd have no use for the backhoe other than the loader as we already have a bobcat 322 digger which does all we want and dad has a construction company so if we ever need a larger digger we use theirs.

I like the look of that machine a lot. what sort of price are you looking at on one of those?