Interesting idea.

shaan1.jpg shaan3.jpg

Mahindra website
Mahindra Shaan Tractors

More photos
Mahindra Tractor Shaan

Bruce

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #2  
Tractor + UTV. Interesting, yes. Would I own one, not on my hills. That appears it would be much more roll-happy than a traditional tractor. I somewhat doubt we see them stateside.

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #3  
At first site...certainly not impressive. No 4wd, and no loader capability? Whats the use then? For the cargo space, again: useless. The platform height is unatainable, plus how do you expect to manoeuver around with the 3pth being in your legs...?? Buy a mule instead!
All in all it does'nt come close to being a remote cousin of the ToolCat. Oh, forgot to mention: will you even remotely be able to see your implement?? Again, completely useless Mahindra "rise"...:2cents:

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #4  
After a bit of thought I figure it is likely for India and other markets where you commonly see 20 people hanging off a tractor riding home from the fields at the end of the day... Seems it is a good option for something a little safer for them that can still pull the haywagon or whatever, just so long as it doesn't tip...

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #5  
I have never wanted a UTV or similar vehicle, I much prefer a pickup for usefulness. I know lots of people who have them and swear by them.

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #6  
I have both, a pickup and a UTV (Rhino), and I prefer having each for different tasks as each is WAY more useful than the other depending on the task. My truck does more damage to my fields than my UTV. The UTV suspension eats up the bumps of the fields better as well. Any pickup that does well on interstate travel is going to suck on my fields. 25MPH across my field in a truck repeatedly, you'd be replacing door hinges at a minimum. 25MPH across my field in the Rhino is no problem, about the same as 25PH on a gravel road with my truck (reason is, a UTV generally has almost the same suspension travel as many stock trucks, but is tuned for much slower off road travel)... UTV also fits more places. We commonly use the UTV with a pull behind garden dump cart to follow the mower around the lawns to dump the bags of grass into. I wouldn't want to drive my truck on my lawns.

To lighten a truck down and swap the suspension to something soft enough to ride the fields would take a considerable cost or time investment, and likely make it illegal to have on the roads. I've got less in my Rhino than you spend on a really good set of off road truck tires...

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #7  
Interesting.

Looks like they took some of their inspiration from the Hinomoto JF1 AKA Bombardier MPV20
attachment.php

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #8  
I have both, a pickup and a UTV (Rhino), and I prefer having each for different tasks as each is WAY more useful than the other depending on the task. My truck does more damage to my fields than my UTV. The UTV suspension eats up the bumps of the fields better as well. Any pickup that does well on interstate travel is going to suck on my fields. 25MPH across my field in a truck repeatedly, you'd be replacing door hinges at a minimum. 25MPH across my field in the Rhino is no problem, about the same as 25PH on a gravel road with my truck (reason is, a UTV generally has almost the same suspension travel as many stock trucks, but is tuned for much slower off road travel)... UTV also fits more places. We commonly use the UTV with a pull behind garden dump cart to follow the mower around the lawns to dump the bags of grass into. I wouldn't want to drive my truck on my lawns.

To lighten a truck down and swap the suspension to something soft enough to ride the fields would take a considerable cost or time investment, and likely make it illegal to have on the roads. I've got less in my Rhino than you spend on a really good set of off road truck tires...

It's all good if it works for you.
I use a collection cart with my mower to keep the heavy equipment off the grass. For the cost of these UTV's a guy could buy some field finishing implements too.

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #9  
It's all good if it works for you.
I use a collection cart with my mower to keep the heavy equipment off the grass. For the cost of these UTV's a guy could buy some field finishing implements too.

Every time I look at UTVs, I'm reminded that I could buy a cheap used Ford Ranger or somesuch for WAY less money, and have money left over for more implements and useful tools.

/ Mahindra Shaan: tractor pickup #10  
Every time I look at UTVs, I'm reminded that I could buy a cheap used Ford Ranger or somesuch for WAY less money, and have money left over for more implements and useful tools.

That is what type of truck I have, 2006 with 170k miles on it. Wheel bearings (generally $100+ for anything decent), even the good ones from NAPA wouldn't hold up to continual passes across my field. Bumps are vicious and unforgiving in a Ford Ranger, the Rhino soaks them up easily.

The only way a cheap/used Ford Ranger or similar is cheaper than a cheap/used UTV similar to my Rhino is if you have sources for cheap used parts and you don't mind working on your tools as much as working with them. I put more money into the tires and front end parts on my Ranger last year than I have put into buying the Rhino, all maintenance, and fuel in the 4 years I've owned it.

If I just need to carry a tiny tool like a shovel or whatnot a mile across the property to do 5 minutes of whatever needs done, I think it's a real waste to bounce the truck across the field firing way more cylinders than is needed to do the task at hand. I only get a couple MPG in the field. I generally average almost 19MPG in my Ranger, one or two trips across the field kills the mileage for a tank to about 10-12MPG. I'd assume the mileage in the field must be less than 1MPG to bring it down that much that easily...

I look at it as having more than one hammer. If all you ever do is pound nails, a little claw hammer is fine. A claw hammer will never do the work of a sledge efficiently, nor vice-versa. In the end the cost of hassle or long term expense isn't worth it...