Intro and 4WD question

/ Intro and 4WD question #1  

Hi all,

I've been lurking and learning for several months now, reading the classifieds and I'm about ready to jump into the tractor owners pool. We've got about 12 acres of young trees that need to be kept mowed, a 500' driveway and another 20 acres of pasture that we rent out for grazing. We're responsible for fencing and general maintenance, but I have been contracting the large pasture mowing to a guy with a big green and a batwing. I seem to have my hands full with other tasks.We have a horse, possibly another in the years ahead, and we utilize every BTU of wood heat we can get.
I see the tractor being used primarily for mowing, 3-4 plowings a year, some FEL work, log skidding and whatever else I can find to use it for.

I'm not sure I'm buying new, as I see what may be some good values in used tractors in this area ( Northern Md, lower PA.) I will be getting something with a FEL.

My question has to do with the need for FWD over a hefty 2WD tractor. I have this assumption (I know, dagerous word...) that enough HP could keep me out of most trouble, provided I stay out of swamps.

Am I wrong to assume this?

Since my needs are not as rigorous as the daily demands of many in the ag community, wouldn't a used 2WD 50+ HP tractor be as effective pushing snow and other work as a 4WD 30HP?
Wouldn't a stout 2WD be enough to allow me to lift a full loader?
Am I comapring apples and oranges?

You ll have been a big help to me up to this point, thanks for taking the time

TWeb

/ Intro and 4WD question #2  
Sure, a bigger 2wd tractor will out lift a smaller 4wd with the loader and it will out pull it on dry, flat ground if it weighs quite a bit more. You mentioned logging with it at times. The 4wd will help considerably when trying to steer when you are pulling something that is trying to make you go straight. I would have to say that you need to try them out and see for yourself. Personally, I wouldn't be without my 4wd, but that is just one more opinion.

/ Intro and 4WD question
I appreciate your opinion and certainly am considering 4WD.
I 've not had the opportunity to do any serious work with one, though. Testing out is not like spending 6-8 hours putting it thru its paces.

This is a challenge to me as this is a first purchase and I'd like to make the right choice.... Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Intro and 4WD question #4  
I have 2 tractors, a Ford 2120 43hp 4WD and a TN75 75 HP 4WD. I do work similar ro what your considering. When logging I am always in 4WD on either tractor. The 2120 almost never comes out of 4WD except when transporting as the minute I try to dig into a pile or whatever the rear tires usually spin. The TN works in 2WD much of the time, but that is partly because it is so easy (just flip a toggle switch) to get to 4WD. Woring in any mud, or moving a lot of snow requires 4WD or a lot of patience. I do not run chains on either tractor and have the rear R1's loaded on both. Unless I was just haying or pulling wagons, I would not buy a tractor these days without 4WD. Just my opinion.

Andy

/ Intro and 4WD question #5  
My first tractor was a 2WD tractor which would be in the utility class and a friend of mine has a industrial class 2 WD tractor I have used on occasion. I now have a 30 HP 4WD.

The one area where the 4WD out performes the 2Wd is when you are using the FEL. If you do not have a heavy weight on the 3PH for ballast backing up with a load in the bucket is difficult.

A larger utility tractor needs a little more room to navigate and is more likely to leave deeper tire tracks. I really like 4WD.

Randy

/ Intro and 4WD question
A larger utility tractor needs a little more room to navigate

Now there's a profound statement.....As usual all you guys make those of us who are _yet_ to be owners think of the details. Good point....The one thing I'm missing is what all of you refer to as 'seat time'....after I have a few hours,
I'm sure this forum will make even more sense!

Thanks..

tom

/ Intro and 4WD question #7  
If you could get a smaller 4WD tractor to do the job of a larger heavier machine, I think I would go with the smaller machine. One long term variable is fuel. If you can get a 30 HP vs. a 50 HP think of the money saved in fuel. I was surprised at how well my 7800 (30 HP) could pull compared to my Dad's larger MF 135 (about 40 HP).

/ Intro and 4WD question
Andy,

Considering the fact that the mowing is to be done in a bottom area( sometimees sloppy...) and that there are hills on the property 4WD is probably a choice that makes sense for the years ahead. I know things can change, but I can only foresee me owing 1 tractor and I want to get it right....

I have also considered the ease of use factor for my daughter (13) to be able to safely learn and operate in the years ahead.........Wrong forum, but I'd rather have her driving a 4WD with an FEL than riding in some hotshot's car!! ....hand me that shotgun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tom

/ Intro and 4WD question
Thanks.....You make me think about fuel economy. Approx how many hours, in general,might I expect from a 30HP FWD. Say a combination of idling, FEL, back & forth, etc, etc....
or another case, flat out mowing for X hours. Just curious

tom

/ Intro and 4WD question #10  
Tom, I'd guesstimate that a 30hp 4WD tractor should average about .6 to .75 gallons per hour of fuel, and .7 to .9 GPH mowing at PTO speed. And most of what I've been told about the pulling power of 4WD vs 2WD is that the 4WD gives you about 25% more pulling power, therefore, a 30hp 4WD should give you about the equivalent of a 37.5 hp 2WD, assuming the same general size and weight for the 2 tractors. Naturally, there are other factors to consider such as steering with a full bucket on the FEL, possibility of getting stuck in mud, whether you have enough counterweight on the rear of the tractor when you pick up a load in the FEL, and a few things like that. So this is just kinda my opinion based on a little experience; your mileage may vary. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif