20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor

/ 20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor #1  

FarmerAlex

Tractor
Pasquali 934 x 3, Case 580 SLE,
Howdy all, i am after an older mouldboard ploughing tractor, I have used international 434 with a 3 furrow plough on 10'' furrows, and fergie 2 furrow plough on 12'' furrows, i have whitnessed a farmall a with a two furrow mid mount plough doing an excellent job, just wondering if there are any other great tractors of this vintage that will do a good job of ploughing. The farmall mid mount does do an excellent job. Looking to plough around 50 acres a year with it time doesn't really matter that much to me, must be able to be put on a tandem trailer.

Cheers Alex

/ 20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor
Anyone? Or is mouldboard ploughing a disappearing thing?

/ 20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor #3  
Weight for traction is the main advantage of the old iron. They were geared amazingly well to get the most out of the generated power. Anything made especially heavy (in the weight to horsepower ratios you're mentioning) will do fine.

Weight for traction is the main advantage of the old iron. They were geared amazingly well to get the most out of the generated power. Anything made especially heavy (in the weight to horsepower ratios you're mentioning) will do fine.

Thanks mate, is there any really good books you know of that show how to properly set up a paddock so that there is only one tire mark left when you finish the paddock?

/ 20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor #5  
Knowing how much you are planning to spend would help a lot.
Also knowing what kind of soil you have would help too as in some soils you can pull 3 bottoms with a 40 hp tractor whereas in others it takes 40 to pull two bottoms.
I would look at the older Fords. They were plowing fools.
Look for something like a Ford 800 or better yet a 3000 or 3600.

/ 20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor #6  
Like ultra dog said, soil type plays a big part. I can pull my two bottom with ease where I have good and fairly rock free soil, but it has also stopped my tractors dead in hard, rocky clay if I let it get a little too deep. If you have hard ground I would go with a two bottom with 12" bottoms. I'm no expert by any means and am just getting into bottom plowing.

Thanks chaps, the ground I work varies alot as I mostly rent ground, but it varies from red volcanic loams, to grey clays, some black soil to some very sticky clays. I don't think three furrows is necessary as I cannot be bothered removing a furrow each time the going isn't ideal.

Tractor wise I would be willing to spend 5k or so, it doesn't have to be the best machine and could easily buy a project that would need rebuilding and finishing.

Another bloke i was speaking to suggested a grey fergie??

Anyone used a Fiat 411 R there seems to be quite a few for sale, can easily get parts for them, but have heard they have some funny quirks about them??

/ 20-35 Hp Mouldboard Ploughing Tractor #9  
I'm not familiar with that model fiat, what quirks did you hear?

I heard that removing the head has a tendency to snap off bolts, leaving you the only choice but to edm machine them out. Again it may be just heresay..