dad wants a cab

/ dad wants a cab #1  

terryknight

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5055E,Kubota B2650
my father was out cutting the fields (15 acres of old horse pasture) when he came in to the shop he said he's getting too old and thinks he'd like a cab tractor. So here we go looking for a tractor. The tractor will be used for the basic, cutting the pastures, maintaining the driveway (1/2 long), moving some dirt, moving some firewood, maybe pushing some snow if/when it comes (not a priority). Now my father is old school, prefers gear drive (we'll come back to this later), is nervous about final tier 4. likes to let his tractor idle as he does things off the tractor, and doesn't like to run the engine any faster than needed. That being said he and I won't be the only ones using this tractor and while some of the others can operate gear maybe hydrostatic is a better option. He currently has a MF 1045 from 1989 he would sell it outright or trade it in. His female companion has a Kubota 4310 Hydro also could be traded in. SO with the back story out of the way here is what is a

NEED:
-4x4
-FEL
-Cab with Heat/AC
-30 PTO hp
-tractor with FEL weighs ~5500 or less (to fit on the current trailer)
- lift height on the FEL of 100" (this maybe downgraded to a want)

WANTS:
-R4 tires these can be changed
-SSQA, but this can be added
-Tier 4 interim, this most likely puts us into used territory

So far I have found TYM 433, MF1643/1648, and Kioti DK40 and the JD 4x20 series, though the JD is much more expensive. We are looking used, both he and I are very mechanically inclined. Are there any other tractors that fit those criteria? I have not done an exhaustive search and I realize it's a small group of tractor that will have both a great enough reach and a light enough weight.

Last edited:
   / dad wants a cab #3  
Qpen station tractors can be hot or cold and too much of either gets old. Tool shed door to low for a cab so will make do.

/ dad wants a cab
Kubota L5740 or one of the M series.

kubota has more power than needed, but i'll add it to the list. all the Ms look to be on the large side

Qpen station tractors can be hot or cold and too much of either gets old. Tool shed door to low for a cab so will make do.

not following. you want a cabbed tractor but it won't fit in your garage so you won't get one?

/ dad wants a cab #5  
I would go and check out the 3 you have found so far and see if he likes any of them.

/ dad wants a cab #6  
I had a Kubota L5030HSTC that would be OK as well as any of the other GL 40HP and over. It is hard to get good prices on nice used tractors and you'll probably pay more for Kubota and John Deere. When we buy used, we look at cost and specs not brand, so I would look at all brands of good quality. You will find that even some of the big brands just rebadge lower cost brands like New Holland, Case and many John Deere have lots of Yanmar components.

If your dad is adamant about gears, I'd go with a hydraulic shuttle, but try to talk him into an HST if at all possible. My brother and I grew up on gears and preferred them until recently when age caught up with us. We still operate geared units, but use the HST whenever practical with the hydraulic shuttle a close second.

Lots of members with more specific knowledge than I and I know they will steer you in the right direction.

/ dad wants a cab
maybe i should clarify what i'm asking. I'm looking for models that meet the needs and wants list above. I haven't found any actually tractors for my father to go "test drive" yet I remember the Kioti and Massey from when I was looking. a couple of Kubotas have been added. eventually I will put all of these into a spreadsheet and then start looking for the best tractor out of the used ones available. brand does not matter, though there is no TYM dealer around that I know of and my father is not a fan of the local LS/Mahindra dealer. Either my father or I will be the one working/maintaining/repairing the tractor.

thanks for the suggestions so far

/ dad wants a cab #8  
I'd say stick with the Massey... I'm very happy with my 1648 cab. Although, I think it may be closer to 6000 lbs all loaded up.

/ dad wants a cab
he says it's "nice," he uses it, he think "I" should have gotten a cab. it's bigger than what he needs. my guess is with a cab and the on and off the tractor stuff he does either he will remove one of the doors or my tractor will see more use from him. though i know he will like the cab in the cold and wind, and the sun and heat.