Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine?

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #1  

Rock knocker

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 950
I don't get it. Both run the air thru a plenum and an air-oil heat exchanger, but some are pointedly referred to as air-cooled while others are decidedly oil-cooled. Power doesn't matter, both types are offered in excess of 100hp.

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #2  
Are we talking about older used? I was working for Allies-Chalmers when we were bought by Deutz and needed to quickly re-engine all of our combines. The 4 engines Deutz selected for us were all Deutz Air Diesels. The story we were to push is all engines are air cooled - some choose to transfer the heat to liquid coolant first before transferring the heat to air while Deutz chose to transfer directly to the air thus improving efficiency. However there are areas of the engine that are difficult to reach directly with air so Deutz opted to makes use of oil to transfer heat from those spots. As a result we had larger sump capacities and one if the most frequent comments was excessive oil consumption. Customers were very happy when Mr. Ratliff and partners bout the company from Deutz and we replaced with Cummins. We did give customers the story that we relied on oil cooling as a response to their oil consumption complaints.

Deutz was a nightmare to work with, and the engine application fell under my group. We often discussed how there was no future being Deutz owned. Mr. Ratliff was hired as CEO of Deutz-Allis and in a shirt time he agreed. He visited our plant, was very forthright, told us to get our resumes up to date and find another job because there was no future unless Deutz found some sucker to buy the company. Many of the remainder, like me, did as he suggested and I ended up at Caterpillar. A year later Deutz found that sucker - Mr. Ratliff and a group he put together, AGCO was formed, and the company survived - first by getting rid of Deutz engines as quickly as the purchase agreement allowed.

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #3  
All of the Deutz air cooled diesels are air/oil cooled... They may have different names used, but they are the same...

SR

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #5  
That link doesn't work here...

SR

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #6  
STILL doesn't work over here...

SR

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #8  
Note that none of the air cooled line at Deutz have been available for use in Europe, North America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand for about 5 years. Very high NOX emissions.

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #9  
The company I work for just phased out Duetz engines in our Ag elevators due to emissions regulations. Boy, are those things dirty engines. And cooling issues are complex, only because of the ignorance of the owner/operators. You MUST keep the oil to air coolers clean for them to work well. Which means removing a side cover and using compressed air to keep the heat exchanger blown out.

We transitioned to a Caterpillar 3.4l engine for our elevators. Very quiet and clean burning. But we have had issues there too. Torn CAC boots, ECM's not programmed, bad EGR valve, damaged radiator, and bad fuel rail pressure sensor ALL on brand new engines. Oh well, I guess not everyone is perfect huh? B.

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #10  
Isn't that little CAT engine, really a Perkins??

When the first gulf war was going on, and sadam lit the oil fields on fire, my friend went there to help put those fires out. My friend said it was hotter than blazes out there, and the only engines that could take the extreme heat was Deutz air/oil cooled. They had them on their gen sets and he said, they just kept on ticking!

I have nothing but good things to say about the Deutz air/oil cooled diesels i've owned, i still have one and i agree, you have to keep them clean.....a 10 minute job at most...

There's lot's and lot's of air/oil cooled Deutz tractors still on the job here, all of them STILL making money for their owners!

SR