Scag vs Bad Boy

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #21  
There was a time when transaxles were light duty and separate pumps / motors were the only heavy duty option. But now the largest offering from hydro gear is quite beefy and the parker integrated pump / motors are outstanding. I'm partial to the Parker myself. I think Bad Boy Outlaw XP uses the Hydrogear 5400. This is a far cry from the transaxles in homeowner ZTRs . I don't know which separate pumps / motors Scag uses but I'd be surprised if they weren't good. I wouldn't be too concerned about having a beefy transaxle vs. separate pump / motors.

OP - see if you can demo both units.
The Hydrogear 5400's seem to have a very good rep over on the lawnsite forum from what I have read.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #22  
Pappy,not to correct you but I thought Briggs & stratton company(Basco)owned ferris,simplicity,snapper and a few others?

Coobie, I think we are both correct. I think Snapper bought Ferris, and then B&S bought Snapper. The Snapper Pro mowers are very similar to the equivalent Ferris mowers, and both use the ICD deck. The main difference is that Ferris has the suspension and Snapper Pro doesn't. I haven't priced a Snapper Pro, but I hear that they give you a whole lot of mower for the money. If I was mowing billiard tables or really nice lawns, I'd consider one. But for bumpy, rough stuff, I'd want the Ferris.

Another option for bumpy work is a Grasshopper front mount mower, which has a better ride than a mid-mount.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #23  
For about half your budget you could get a used low hour diesel Kubota or grasshopper. I have diesel and high end gas mowers, and the difference is night and day. I probably would rather have the scag vs the bad boy.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #24  
Not sure about other than Ferris, but they are owned by B&S. Only concern I had when looking at the Ferris was the Kaw motor wasn't available without a very extended lead time, and thought maybe it was a 'fabricated' lead time issue, maybe to sell more B&S engines. Dealer was pretty firm the Kaw lead time was legit, and his service history on the Vanguard Briggs was good. So far, happy with the Briggs, and more than happy overall. Prior to the Ferris I dread cutting grass, and how my back felt afterward; it was downright painful. Not so with the Ferris, think I could mow all day if I had to.

Chef, the B&S Vanguard is an excellent motor. It is supposedly made my Daihatsu and assembled by B&S in the U.S. I'd rather have the Vanguard than a Kawasaki FX, but that's just personal preference.

My first choice in a mower motor these days would be a B&S Vanguard EFI. They should provide excellent fuel economy with the reliability of the traditional Vanguard.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #25  
Coobie, I think we are both correct. I think Snapper bought Ferris, and then B&S bought Snapper. .

Actually simplicity owned snapper, derby, ferris, and the allis chalmers line of lawnmowers. Then Briggs purchased Simplicity, which brought all the lines on board. Derby and the AC is now gone.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #26  
For about half your budget you could get a used low hour diesel Kubota or grasshopper. I have diesel and high end gas mowers, and the difference is night and day. I probably would rather have the scag vs the bad boy.

What's night and day about cutting with the diesel vs gas? I've had two commercial mowers, but both diesel... I don't know what the gasser would feel like.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #27  
What's night and day about cutting with the diesel vs gas? I've had two commercial mowers, but both diesel... I don't know what the gasser would feel like.
I have a 35 HP Kawaski gasser in my Super Z. It is a little hard on gas, but I've been impressed with the power running a 72" deck.
Though it does seem like it is doing much better on gas as the engine brakes in.
New I was using nearly 2 gal/hour. The last couple mowing's it seems to be using just over 1.5 gal/hour, which isn't bad.

Last edited:
   / Scag vs Bad Boy #28  

The diesels run quieter, last longer, they handle high grass better because they have more torque, and they are much more fuel efficient. My B7100 is 17 hp with a 60" deck my Dixie chopper is 25 hp with a 50" deck, and the diesel can mow high grass better. My F2560 diesel has 10" more deck and equal hp to the Dixie chopper and can mow circles around it in high grass. 1.5 gallons per hour is about what my Dixie chopper burns. The diesel F2560 burns less than a quart an hour.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #29  
I have a 35 HP Kawaski gasser in my Super Z. It is a little hard on gas, but I've been impressed with the power running a 72" deck.
Though it does seem like it is doing much better on gas as the engine brakes in.
New I was using nearly 2 gal/hour. The last couple mowing's it seems to be using just over 1.5 gal/hour, which isn't bad.

Even at 2 gallon per hour, that still isnt terrible when you consider just how much grass you can mow in that hour.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #30  
1.5 gallons per hour is about what my Dixie chopper burns. The diesel F2560 burns less than a quart an hour.
So you are saying you can mow over 4 hours with the diesel F2560 on a gallon of fuel ??
I'd have to see it to believe it.