Scag vs Bad Boy

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #1  

Matt95684

Tractor
None
Hi everyone I'm in the very early stages of pricing a commercial grade zero turn mower (admittedly for home use on about 1.5 acres) and was just curious if anyone had opinions one way or the other. I have talked to dealers of both the Bad Boy dealer is about 15-20 miles from my place, and just talked with the Scag dealer today and he said that he is working on opening a new place that as it turns out will be like 1.5 miles from my house (he told me where before I told him where I live).

The reason for the commercial grade is I want something that is going to last, and my wife and I have ambitions to own a bigger property someday. Currently my 1.5 acres is a very rough mow. I have tried rolling it without much luck and so am looking for a mower that can withstand that, give me a smooth ride, and get the job done in a timely manner.

The mowers that I'm looking at are the Bad Boy Outlaw XP because I can put an air ride seat on it and it has what they call ez ride suspension which is supposed to help over rough terrain. The Scag model will most likely be the Cheetah because it is pretty close in price to the next step down which is the Tiger Cat.

Scag dealer told me that when they get up and running in my area I could demo their product and even at my own house because its so close. Haven't asked Bad Boy about demo yet. Price points are around $9000 for the Bad Boy Outlaw Xp (with air ride seat and ez ride suspension) but not sure what deck size and $10,200 for a Scag Cheetah with 61" deck (although was told there is some wiggle room on the price of the Cheetah).

So my questions...would you go with a 52" or 61" deck? I have quite a few trees none that I think a 61" couldn't get around and a slight incline on one side of the house. Secondly any differences in quality between the brands and is the ez ride suspension all it cracked it up to be.

Thanks in advance!

My time frame is probably next year at the soonest.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #2  
Can't comment on the Scag or Bad Boy from experience but they both have pretty good reputations. If not in a rush demo both and see what you think. For the price points you're looking at, a Ferris might also be worth a look. I just purchased a Ferris this spring and the suspension is great. You still know the bumps are there, but much more tolerable. Also have to admit I only looked at/demo'd the Ferris due to freindship with dealer.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #4  
After looking at a lot of different mowers I went with Scag. I like that they have the Kawasaki water cooled engine, how heavy and thick the metal is and that the didn't cut any corners in building it. The only Bad Boy that I saw where the ones at Tractor Supply. The where not in the same class as the Scag, or most of the other commercial mowers that I looked at. Much thinner metal and overall their hydraulics just looked smaller to me. Most of all, Bad Boy was only available at Tractor Supply and there is no way that I would ever want to deal with a big box store for parts or repairs. I have no idea is Scag is the best mower out there, but it's easily one of the top ones to choose from.

Eddie

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #5  
I have the Bad Boy Outlaw XP. I have about 400 hours on the machine over 3 plus years. I also have the air ride seat.

It is a mowing machine. It is fast and cuts fantastically. I have some rather bumpy areas and the seat helps tremendously. I would highly recommend the mower.

There is a big difference between the Bad Boy you can buy at a Big Box store and the commercial units you get from a dealer. Much as the Deere mowers sold at Lowes vs. those sold at a dealer.

I have had only two "problems" so far --- the mower blade belt broke and the spring providing tension to the hydro drive belt broke. I got th eparts from th edealer and they were reasonable -- the belt was $50 and the spring was $10. More importantly, they were easy to install and get back running.

I have never owned a Scag so I cannot comment.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #6  
Can't comment on the Scag or Bad Boy from experience but they both have pretty good reputations. If not in a rush demo both and see what you think. For the price points you're looking at, a Ferris might also be worth a look. I just purchased a Ferris this spring and the suspension is great. You still know the bumps are there, but much more tolerable. Also have to admit I only looked at/demo'd the Ferris due to freindship with dealer.
++ 1 on the ferris ZTR.With that said scag would be my choice verses the bad boy.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #7  
I would make sure the one I bought did not have the integrated drive system. Much better with 2 pumps and individual wheel motors. My :2cents:

My choice is Scags. One tough machine.

023.JPG

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #8  
I would agree with trying both of them on your property. If either dealers says no, then I think you have your answer.

I own a commercial Bad Boy, I wish I would have tried a Scag. Does that mean I am not happy, not exactly... But I don't know what a Scag cuts like!

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #9  
I have a bad boy pup commercial mower with a 48' deck. It is very solid and heavy duty. It even went through a tornado and I was able too repair it with out much trouble. I have only had minor problems with it and I believe most of them were due to the damage it received in the storm. It does not ride bad over the bumps. It is a very heavy machine so would not be a good choice if you mow soft wet ground.

/ Scag vs Bad Boy #10  
Another Bad Boy owner here -- I bought my 61" Outlaw in 2011. As mentioned above, the Bad Boys at TSC are "homeowner" models akin to the JDs at Lowes.

I have had two problems. A zerk broke off in one of the pillow blocks and a defective coil, but that's on Kawasaki, not Bad Boy.

I can't comment on the Scag, as I have never used one.

Steve