Ford 641? 640? 841? body style and model number on block don't match!

/ Ford 641? 640? 841? body style and model number on block don't match! #1  

Newbloomfield

Tractor
Ford 641
Hello,
I am confused about exactly what model tractor I have . . . the body style and medallion makes you think it is a Ford Powermaster, since the medallion says "800", the decals say "801 Powermaster" and it has the egg crate grill and colors of the 800 series. It is a four speed manual transmission, so I figured it was an 841.

BUT . . . the numbers on the block don't really match! The numbers are 641 and 3057.

This makes me think it is a 641, not an 841. Plus I think this is a 134 ci block, which is what the old boy I got it from said, too. From what I can read, all the 841s had 172 ci blocks. So I am thinking now that this is a 641 disguised as an 841?

Assuming this is correct, then what is the first year of manufacture (and specs)?

I have a couple sources that say the first year of manufacture for the 641 was 1957, and that tractor has 48 hp. However, the body style on mine looks more like a 640 than the 641 (haha, not counting the medallion and decals). So the old boy I got the tractor from figured it was a 640 made in 1955, which is listed as having 33 hp.

Since there is a pretty big difference here in hp and value, I would like to understand exactly what I wound up with. Actually the tractor has great compression, starts instantly, has great tires, good brakes, and the clutch is perfect. Everything works great, so I don't have any real complaints (what's not to like on a great running old Ford!). But I sure would like to know what the heck model it is!

Kind of reminds me of that Johnny Cash song about the car he put together over the years, one part at at time . . .

Attachments

• Ford 641.jpg
    Ford 641.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 434
   / Ford 641? 640? 841? body style and model number on block don't match! #2  
   / Ford 641? 640? 841? body style and model number on block don't match! #3  
   / Ford 641? 640? 841? body style and model number on block don't match!
hahahahahaha Thanks fellas!

I agree with you. The model and serial number on the block provide the definitive proof! I am kind of glad it isn't a 640 . . . I like the extra hp! Now my 8n will be jealous.