Ford 641 Workmaster questions

/ Ford 641 Workmaster questions #1  

Newbloomfield

Tractor
Ford 641
hello,

Does anyone know how many Ford 641 Workmasters were produced? Also how many were produced in 1957?

What did Ford do the the 641 to give it so much more horsepower than the 640? Didn't they both have the same 134 ci engine?

thanks
Steve

/ Ford 641 Workmaster questions #2  
There are no records of any sort that give the numbers of individual models built.
There were approximately 155,000 01 Series built. But serial # 125021 might have been a 641, #125022 a 741, 125023 a 861 and so on.
I don't think there was much of a difference between the 600 and 601 HP ratings. Both were about 33 or 34 hp at the pto. If you are getting your numbers from tractordata.com it is incorrect.
There was a significant bump in HP between the 800s and 801s - mainly due to a bigger carb and better flowing manifolds - like from 38-44 or so.

/ Ford 641 Workmaster questions
Thanks, Ultradog!

I went back and looked at the owners manual for the 601 and 801 series, but they don't list hp there. You are correct, I was using the tractordata.com site for my hp information . . . but I haven't been able to find any other sources.

One thing that struck me when looking at the tractordata.com information was that the 640 (33 hp) was listed as having only 3 more hp than the 8N (30 hp). However, when it comes to test data, it appears that the 8N had more like 23 hp at the drawbar, as compared to about 29 hp for the 640. In the test data, tractordata also shows about 30 hp at the drawbar for the 641. Is the test data reliable? I am guessing that the bogus figure would be the 48 hp listed for the 641?

So . . . would it be correct to say that the 641 has about 7 more hp at the drawbar than the 8N? I am asking because I do need a tractor that can pull a 2 bottom plow and pull a fairly stout old Ford brushog. My old 49 8N really struggles with those tasks.

I ask because I recently purchased what I thought was an 841 Powermaster, but it turned out that someone had rebuilt a 641 and put the body of an 801 on it, medallion and all (!!). It is a great running little tractor, and I didn't get hurt on the price (the tractor has new tires, brakes, clutch, distributor), but it looks like it has a lot less power than I had thought it would have.

So I am left wondering if I should now sell my old 8N and get an 841, and use the 641 in place of the 8N. (Don't really have room for 3 tractors) I suppose the best way to know is to just use the 641 and see what it can do . . .

thanks again

/ Ford 641 Workmaster questions #4  
I'm pretty sure the 8Ns were only about 23 or 24 hp.
The 601s are Very good tractors.
It depends on what you are trying to do with it.
Run a baler? I would want bigger mchine. And it wouldn't be an 801.
801s have more hp but the platform just isn't big enough to warrant all the extra power.
If you need more tractor I would suggest you consider a 3000 or 3600. They are heavier than an 801 and are about 38hp.
If you wat more tractor than that look at a 3 cylinder 4000 (Not the 4 cylinder one) or 4600.
Those are about 52 hp and are a very substantial machine.
All of the 3 cylinder Fords are absolutely bullet proof machines.
I have had a 3000 for about 10 years and will never get rid of it. I have other, larger tractors but it's the one that gets used the most.
I use it on an 8' back blade, 8' disc, 2-16 plow and 6' heavy Bush Hog brand rotary mower
Your 601 will do almost as well as a 3000 - 7' blade, 7' disc, 2-14 plow and heavy 5' or light 6' rotary mower.
One more thing about the 801s is they were fuel hogs. My 3000 diesel will do about the same work on far less fuel.
And you could switch your nice tires around on any of them. They will all fit right on one another so you could keep your new tires if you trade - except the 3 cyl 4000 which has different bolt pattern - heavier.

/ Ford 641 Workmaster questions
Thanks so much for the great advice, that is really helpful to me!