Buying Advice how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #11  
I hate to be snotty, but I wonder how people always seem to have money to buy great pieces of land but NO MONEY to buy a decent tractor. It makes me think of the people who buy big fancy houses and don't spend a dollar on landscaping around them.

Why buy a bowling ball if you can't afford to get the holes drilled?

Yeah, that sounded asinine.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #12  
I hate to be snotty, but I wonder how people always seem to have money to buy great pieces of land but NO MONEY to buy a decent tractor. It makes me think of the people who buy big fancy houses and don't spend a dollar on landscaping around them.

You have to kidding? This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen. He said he has a $10k budget for a machine. I have no idea where you come from but to me and a lot of other people $10k is still a lot of money.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #13  

To be fair, I think this happens to a lot of folks. They can get a mortgage on the land, and don't realize what it will cost to buy the equipment necessary to realize their dreams.

I didn't think I'd wind up with a tractor, a dozer, a backhoe, half a dozen implements, a ZTR, three chainsaws, a backpack sprayer, and a dump trailer when I started, but I sure did!

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #14  

People may have different priorities than you do. We have a fairly nice home and no landscaping. I could pay a landscape design firm to build us an outdoor oasis, but right now our savings and investments are more important to us than that. In a couple years, we'll probably tackle that project.

And if someone is going to stretch their real estate budget, I think that buying a great property in the perfect location is the right way to do it. To me, a $400k older 2500 sq. ft. home in a desirable location needing a ton of updating is a much better value than a brand new $400k 4000 sq. ft. mcmansion in a subdivision.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #15  
You have to kidding? This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen. He said he has a $10k budget for a machine. I have no idea where you come from but to me and a lot of other people $10k is still a lot of money.

Of course $10k is a lot of money, but it's not a lot of money when you're talking about buying a tractor to clear and maintain 50 acres.

And the last time I checked, land isn't free. So the OP obviously had the financial wherewithall to buy 50 acres of land.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #16  
. . . And if someone is going to stretch their real estate budget, I think that buying a great property in the perfect location is the right way to do it. To me, a $400k older 2500 sq. ft. home in a desirable location needing a ton of updating is a much better value than a brand new $400k 4000 sq. ft. mcmansion in a subdivision.

I agree completely. But it wouldn't make any sense to build a swimming pool and not be able to afford the chemicals to keep it maintained.

I always think about the guys that go buy a $25,000 Harley and add many $$$ worth of useless doodads to it, and then run all over town trying to find the cheapest oil and filters they can find.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #17  

Agreed.

To be fair, I think this happens to a lot of folks. They can get a mortgage on the land, and don't realize what it will cost to buy the equipment necessary to realize their dreams.

I didn't think I'd wind up with a tractor, a dozer, a backhoe, half a dozen implements, a ZTR, three chainsaws, a backpack sprayer, and a dump trailer when I started, but I sure did!

Not only that, but they may have no projects at that time. Plenty of landowners own land, and the only task that has to be done is mowing the roadside... if that!

Of course, in the future... as the projects you want to accomplish and your uses for the land change, so do the tools needed.

Of course $10k is a lot of money, but it's not a lot of money when you're talking about buying a tractor to clear and maintain 50 acres.

And the last time I checked, land isn't free. So the OP obviously had the financial wherewithall to buy 50 acres of land.

Usually, if you have 50 acres it is not all "maintained". A $10,000 tractor can easily accomplish most needs for your typical 50 acre property. He is not trying to mow the whole thing every week, mulch every tree on the property with a forester, etc.

I agree completely. But it wouldn't make any sense to build a swimming pool and not be able to afford the chemicals to keep it maintained.

Except mowing 50 acres of pastures is an improvement, unlike simply maintaining a swimming pool so it doesn't depreciate.

I always think about the guys that go buy a $25,000 Harley and add many $$$ worth of useless doodads to it, and then run all over town trying to find the cheapest oil and filters they can find.

I agree with this. And it's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #18  
I understand the point Pappy was wanting to make. I think it just didn't quite come out right. I didn't see it as a direct attack on the OP. I saw it as a point of discussion in regards to purchasing land.

Very, very few first time land buyers have a realistic view of the cost of maintaining it. My 150 acre farm generates $10,000 of income a year. That won't maintain it. I always have to subsidize it. My level of maintenance might be higher than some. But the point is it will not turn a profit unless I sell in the future at an inflated price, which I'll never do.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #19  
My post was a comment relating to the OP's post, but certainly was not an attack on him. I apologize for derailing his thread and won't comment or argue further so as not to further derail it.

/ how much HP? need 4x4?, and other advice appreciated #20  
I've been using a Massey 231 2WD with a FEL for 5 years or so do the work you describe and I've found it adequate. Its in the 35 HP range. I think you can find something along those lines in your budget. There was a very nice Massey 230 the other day that sold on Purple Wave for $3800 w/o a FEL. I'm losing the use of the Massey and have been looking at Ford 3000/4000 series and I think these will run a tiller, mow, push brush, etc. just fine. If you aren't plowing I'm not sure you need big HP.